Author Topic: Dawes Kingpin - folding clamp  (Read 2128 times)

Dawes Kingpin - folding clamp
« on: 09 April, 2017, 12:06:37 pm »
A friend of mine has inherited his Mothers old Dawes kingpin, however the clamp that secures the two folded half's is missing.
I have found a couple of pics on the web and it does not seem to difficult to make one, but a little more detail of what looks like a 'bearing block' on the clamp where the securing handle passes through (to give a flat surface to the curved clamp plate) would be useful.

Any info gratefully accepted.

Re: Dawes Kingpin - folding clamp
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2017, 12:18:57 pm »
I think you will have to give some idea of age because the description sounds different to my 1973 model.  Perhaps a photo of what you have at present.

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:25:21 pm »
Not sure of the year and I don't have any way of posting pics at present to this site.

The link below is to an e bay bike (completed listing so need to look at original listing link) it shows the clamp I was trying to describe (probably badly !) is this anything like yours ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dawes-kingpin-bike-/112354154834?hash=item1a28d45952%3Ag%3AUigAAOSwax5YpLhI

Also have seen a clamp for a Brompton on SJS site that may possibly work - anybody used one on a Kingpin ? What thread do Bromptons use for there clamping bolt ?

« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2017, 10:50:31 am »
^^^ yes that is like mine.  I too do not do photo hosting so have no way of putting a photo here.  If you PM me with a real email address I can take some photographs for you.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2017, 11:06:58 am »
I think it is M8 for Brompton's hinge clamp bolts, from memory.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2017, 11:26:01 am »
The bolt on the Kingpin is larger than M8, and since mine is early 70s it could well be an imperial thread.

Aeolus - you can estimate the age of yours by the date on the Sturmey hub.