Author Topic: Running shoes for softer surfaces  (Read 4582 times)

Re: Running shoes for softer surfaces
« Reply #25 on: 21 October, 2017, 10:04:18 am »
In spite of their website still saying that they have the next size up they have refunded me - or at least they will at some point within the next millennium!!!   I'm still hunting for trail shoes and think that I'll have to buy a pair that I try on in the shop.  Should have done that first time I guess.

In other news:  I'm up to 3k now.   Loving it.    :thumbsup:

Sticking to tarmac at the moment of course.

« Reply #26 on: 22 October, 2017, 10:40:53 am »
The vaguaries of mass manufacturing.

Eldest cub bought a pair of trail shoes recently and didn't get on with them as ehy were a bit flappy for him.  I asked him what size they are and they are my usual size.   He's just dropped them off and guess what?  They are the very same brand and model that I bought recently but one was too tight around the area where the toes meet the rest of the foot (I'm sure it has a proper name but hey, I'm not a medic!).

Anyway, I try them on, left foot (bigger foot) first.  That pretty much fits as on the pair I rejected so I thought hmmm, they'll be the same.  However, right foot also fits nicely.  How utterly strange.   

Examining the shoes against my old Asics 2070's I note that the lace section is shorter on the new Asics Somono 3's and thus the toe box is deeper.   This I think is the crucial difference causing the variation and ultimately the issue.   If I can be arsed I'll write to Asics but I guess that they'll not bother with an old whinging goat like me.     

« Reply #27 on: 23 October, 2017, 04:52:11 pm »
I wore the Sonomas for my run today.  Verdict is that they'll be great though they are a bit less grippy on tarmac and slab. 

I was right about those laces though...

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #28 on: 25 October, 2017, 09:21:19 am »
I've just got a new pair of Salomon Speedcross 4s......

Another vote for Speedcross 4s ...... superb grip in wet/mud. Not waterproof but dry fast. Just don't use them on hard surfaces too often as the sole will wear quickly on concrete or tarmac.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #29 on: 25 October, 2017, 09:29:01 am »
+1 for Salomon Speedcross 4's.  They do come up a bit tight but half sizes are available.  I'm persevering in a 10 (my normal size) and they're comfy enough for the distance I run though I'd definitely need the extra half size if I was using more padded socks.  Heaps of grip and I particularly like their quick-lace system which works well.

« Reply #30 on: 03 November, 2017, 07:32:32 am »
I personally like Vivibarefoot and Inov-8.

« Reply #31 on: 03 November, 2017, 07:44:18 am »
Doing a tarmac run I reverted to my old and trusted 2070s.  Unfortunately their life came to an end and also generously left me with a sore calf.   Time for new tarmac shoes too!

The Sonomos seemed to lack grip on tarmac but I've used them for a few runs now and the traction seems to have improved.  I'm guessing that they have scrubbed in.   :D   :thumbsup:

« Reply #32 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:14:03 am »
Hoka runner here; suffer from metatarsalgia (hot foot) and with these shoes have not had a single occurrence. Mostly run on the hard, 5-7 mile distances. Used to use Asics 2010s.

« Reply #33 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:34:39 am »
For much cheapness I like the Skechers GoTrail Ultra.  High amounts of cushioning but only a 4mm drop.  Grip is very decent but heavy camber can be an issue - the upper is very elastic which is good for fit but can allow your foot to slide on the base unit.  I've got over 200 miles in my current pair and they still feel good. 

If you have a wide foot look at Altra.  Weird to look at and with 0mm drop can take some getting used to but you'll not find a toe box this roomy anywhere else.

I find Inov8's run very small to size, similar to Hoka's and Shimano road (never tried an spd sandal), that might be just me.  T'missus loves her Salomons but I can't get on with the narrow heel.

« Reply #34 on: 03 November, 2017, 12:25:50 pm »
Inov8 had/ have a couple of different lasts. One is wider than the other, so length apart you should be able to choose one that works in width terms. It might not be the shoe you want mind