Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118144 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #150 on: 16 January, 2018, 08:40:23 am »
Drat! You coulda given me a tow if it's a headwind again.
Only if you want to get there in time to watch the last finisher.

could you get yourself to stansted airport by train?  I'll be passing there on my way with a Landrover Discovery, plenty of room for a second bike
Ooh, that sounds possible. There's a train via Cambridge that would have me at Stansted by around 8.40am. What time are you thinking of? Offer appreciated.

(Fair warning, I won't be an early finisher. Hope you're not in a hurry to get back?)

Edit: is anyone else getting 404s when trying to collect the GPX and route sheet from the links on the ACME site?

0840 around Stansted would be about on target for me.   When you say slow...

I'm typically a 4:30-5-hour ish elapsed time on a 100, how much longer would you normally be?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

cgg

« Reply #151 on: 16 January, 2018, 10:36:09 am »
Ah, good catch about the engineering works, thanks  :thumbsup: I'll fallback to Stansted to get the train back to London, Basildon was enough just once.

« Reply #152 on: 16 January, 2018, 10:44:02 am »
Ah, good catch about the engineering works, thanks  :thumbsup: I'll fallback to Stansted to get the train back to London, Basildon was enough just once.

Bikes are not allowed on the Stansted Express unless they are fully folded.

An alternative would be Bishop's Stortford, where the Cambridge to London train can be caught.

In practice I have carried my bike on the Stansted Express when joining at Bishop's Stortford, but I have been barred from boarding at Liverpool Street.

EDIT: assumes you meant the airport, rather than Stansted Mountfitchet

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #153 on: 16 January, 2018, 10:57:56 am »

could you get yourself to stansted airport by train?  I'll be passing there on my way with a Landrover Discovery, plenty of room for a second bike
Ooh, that sounds possible. There's a train via Cambridge that would have me at Stansted by around 8.40am. What time are you thinking of? Offer appreciated.

(Fair warning, I won't be an early finisher. Hope you're not in a hurry to get back?)

Edit: is anyone else getting 404s when trying to collect the GPX and route sheet from the links on the ACME site?

FYI, officially you can't take bikes on trains into Stansted (but in practice you might be OK).
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

cgg

« Reply #154 on: 16 January, 2018, 11:10:28 am »
Ah, thanks for the info. I have already taken my bike on the train from the airport, even asked the staff "is this the train for London?" in lycra and all and they happily said "yes, get onboard!". I don't think it was any special train though, just a regular Greater Anglia service  ???

At worst Bishop's Stortford or Stansted Mountfitchet aren't very far away.

« Reply #155 on: 16 January, 2018, 07:57:01 pm »
0840 around Stansted would be about on target for me.   When you say slow...

I'm typically a 4:30-5-hour ish elapsed time on a 100, how much longer would you normally be?
For the Oyster, I took 07:30 :-[

I think asking you to sit around for 3 hours might be a bit much...

« Reply #156 on: 16 January, 2018, 08:27:13 pm »
The Bikeabilityman train, if running, will be departing from Milton Keynes at 3am (ish!) chugging along the A507 express road to Buntingford at a non-express pace. After garage refreshments, it will divert to local branch roads round the back of Stansted Airport, through Gt Dunmow (a non-stop service), finally pulling up outside Witham 'spoons for refuelling.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #157 on: 16 January, 2018, 09:32:33 pm »
I'm impressed, but not tempted ;)

« Reply #158 on: 16 January, 2018, 09:36:28 pm »

Yup, me too.  Try this for the GPX — https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26629391.

Fixed now, just waiting for a route sheet :thumbsup:
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #159 on: 16 January, 2018, 09:46:14 pm »

Yup, me too.  Try this for the GPX — https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26629391.
Fixed now, just waiting for a route sheet :thumbsup:
GPX and route sheet are in draft only due to changes in the route this year. Final docs will not be ready until the 28th Jan, after the helpers’ ride, as per standard AUK process. Any files shared before, including the GPX linked above and AUKweb, to be used at your own risk and should only be used for high level planning.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #160 on: 16 January, 2018, 09:53:31 pm »
That's fine; I haven't entered yet (not till I figure out how to get there). But I wanted to check on the route.

Martin

« Reply #161 on: 16 January, 2018, 09:59:15 pm »
ECE overdrive selected; thanks for all your entries hope I can keep up

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #162 on: 16 January, 2018, 10:13:07 pm »
ECE overdrive selected; thanks for all your entries hope I can keep up
You turned my validation around from Saturday pretty damn quickly  :thumbsup:
You're welcome for the extra work load ACME is throwing at you!!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #163 on: 21 January, 2018, 08:08:29 pm »
OK ECE planning time, and no returning to Shenfield after the next event due to engineering works on the railway. Last time this happened we cycled from Witham to Harlow to catch the train which is actually quite a nice direct route on minor roads, but does anyone have any suggestions for routes to any other operational stations eg Bishops Stortford, needs to be at least 38km! C2C is not tandem friendly so Basildon isn't an option.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #164 on: 21 January, 2018, 08:22:21 pm »
OK ECE planning time......eg Bishops Stortford, needs to be at least 38km!
How about the first 46k-ish of this route, obviously diverting to your favourite train station somewhere from it:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26718017

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #165 on: 21 January, 2018, 08:28:15 pm »
Draft v2 of the KTC&C route sheet is available from the AUKweb calendar page. The GPS route draft can be seen here.
Helpers’ ride for final validation of route sheet instructions planned for the 27th

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #166 on: 25 January, 2018, 10:37:22 am »
I will heading out to do the helpers’ ride route check Saturday morning if any ACME members wish to join me. A 9am or earlier start from outside the ‘spoons.

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #167 on: 25 January, 2018, 11:30:17 am »
Tempted.... might be my only chance at fish 'n chips afterwards without the gannets getting in first.   :)
I've had my pickled egg so despite still riding in foreign colours, is that enough to qualify as ACME member?

Jane

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #168 on: 25 January, 2018, 11:44:43 am »
Depends on who you are giving you points to ;)  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #169 on: 26 January, 2018, 01:09:06 pm »
Ach bother. I had a plan for all four rides and an arrow but my father in law up and died the day before xmas. In NZ. And that meant a emergency trip and many scuppered plans and schemes... Life sometimes wins!

Have a nice ride y'all...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #170 on: 26 January, 2018, 04:37:00 pm »
I will heading out to do the helpers’ ride route check Saturday morning if any ACME members wish to join me. A 9am or earlier start from outside the ‘spoons.

Tempted.... might be my only chance at fish 'n chips afterwards without the gannets getting in first.   :)
I've had my pickled egg so despite still riding in foreign colours, is that enough to qualify as ACME member?

Jane

That's 2 of us on the Helpers' ride, setting off at 8:30 with the optimistic intention of avoiding the afternoon rain  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #171 on: 26 January, 2018, 08:18:25 pm »
Have a good ride  :thumbsup:

Our probable scenario on DTDO tomorrow: First 100km dry, with little help from a slight tailwind; turn into the strengthening wind and some rain for the return. Happy days.

At least the Straggler will be finished by Sudbury...

« Reply #172 on: 26 January, 2018, 10:33:21 pm »
Enjoy folks. I will be out for a swift few miles in the morning followed by an afternoon of emptying boxes...yes after 6 months I figured it was time.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #173 on: 26 January, 2018, 10:44:53 pm »
Davina has posted a nice picture of a lot of new beer in the cellar at The Spiritual Home, I'm probably going to do a QA check on them in my route tomorrow, I recommend a second option from Huggy also ;)
Regards,

Joergen

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #174 on: 27 January, 2018, 08:24:20 pm »
Have a good ride  :thumbsup:

Our probable scenario on DTDO tomorrow: First 100km dry, with little help from a slight tailwind; turn into the strengthening wind and some rain for the return. Happy days.

At least the Straggler will be finished by Sudbury...

Just completed my favorite perm with Tomsk as my pilot, and am now well spent having finding myself being dropped on every incline and trying to get back onto his wheel. Would not liked to endure another 40km to finish but am pleased how things went.  I would grade my own performance as C+ myself but think Tomsk would view it as grade U himself considering I held him back and would normally be 2hrs quicker.  I drew the short straw and find myself provisionally in Tomsk's ACME Easter Arrows team. Need to improve my fitness and speed before then.
CCS - Setting the Standards