Author Topic: My Daughter and her boyfriend have been scammed  (Read 9990 times)

Re: My Daughter and her boyfriend have been scammed
« Reply #50 on: 25 November, 2017, 08:34:23 pm »

Another issue seems to be the ease with which fraudsters seem to be able to open multiple single-use accounts. You and I seem to have to jump through hoops to open an account, so how do the scammers seem to have no problem at all?

It's not at all hard to open bank accounts*. 

I've half a dozen or so (including a Eurozone account) mostly dormant.  For years one bank has 2 cash ISAs in my name which have never had a penny in them, they keep sending me statements telling me I am penniless just to rub it in. 

Come to think of it, I could be a scammer :o

* or email accounts - how else do these Russian bots get to register so many ids?  Apart from renting their own server, that is..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 25 November, 2017, 08:37:37 pm »
Email accounts aren't really comparable as anyone with a computer and internet connect can set themselves up a mailserver and generate accounts/redirects/catch-all addresses as needed.  If you have the skills to program $social_media bots, then this isn't particularly challenging.

I assume it's a *bit* harder to become a bank.  Creating accounts at someone else's bank is going to require some effort in terms of presenting convincing ID.

dim

« Reply #52 on: 25 November, 2017, 09:16:58 pm »
Email accounts aren't really comparable as anyone with a computer and internet connect can set themselves up a mailserver and generate accounts/redirects/catch-all addresses as needed.  If you have the skills to program $social_media bots, then this isn't particularly challenging.

I assume it's a *bit* harder to become a bank.  Creating accounts at someone else's bank is going to require some effort in terms of presenting convincing ID.

If this was Prince Harry's money .... CGHQ would have apprehended the scammer on the same day  ;)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 25 November, 2017, 11:57:11 pm »
Different boyfriend required?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #54 on: 26 November, 2017, 08:48:15 am »

Another issue seems to be the ease with which fraudsters seem to be able to open multiple single-use accounts. You and I seem to have to jump through hoops to open an account, so how do the scammers seem to have no problem at all?

It's not at all hard to open bank accounts*. 

I've half a dozen or so (including a Eurozone account) mostly dormant.  For years one bank has 2 cash ISAs in my name which have never had a penny in them, they keep sending me statements telling me I am penniless just to rub it in. 

Come to think of it, I could be a scammer :o

* or email accounts - how else do these Russian bots get to register so many ids?  Apart from renting their own server, that is..

The bit I highlighted is a good point. It used to be much easier. Now there are the Know Your Customer and Anti Money Laundering regulations it is much harder to  open a current account. Though I suppose if you stand to make hundreds of thousands with your scam, the cost of a fake/stolen passport or stolen identity is neither here nor there.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #55 on: 26 November, 2017, 12:22:37 pm »
I'm not sure why the banks should police this – to them it's a legitimate transaction. If I lend someone £50 and they go 'ha ha, you ain't getting that back' I can hardly go to the bank and demand they reimburse me because I used their cash machine to take the money out of my account. If I buy a banger that goes all clown car on my driveway... you get the idea. Unless the police ask for help within whatever bounds they have, of course.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but there's an element of caveat emptor here, if you hand over money to essentially an unknown stranger with no due diligence (a simple Google search here would have dished the dirt) then I have some money from my dead uncle I need help getting out of the country.

There are many things the banks can do in general, and they are resisting. Every week there are cases in the back pages of the Guardian about people losing five-figure sums in bank transfer fraud.

The most glaring problem is that all that's required for a transfer is the account and sort code. You are asked to enter the account name, but you can put anything you like in there, it's completely ignored. The banks argue it's a tricky problem — is the account in the name JOHN SMITH or J SMITH or JR SMITH AND JP SMITH, etc. I don't think this is an insurmountable problem. They could run a pattern match and if over a certain percentage return the actual account name for you to verify. So if you've entered JON SMYTH it returns the actual account name, if you've entered MJN SOLICITORS it simply says no. This would also help where people have got the numbers wrong by mistake.

One common factor with these scams is that the money hits the empty account and is transferred out immediately and the account is dropped. Surely this is an obvious pattern that could be detected and flagged to a human to investigate before the money's allowed out?

I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to let someone effectively mine their database of account names (and I suspect it's not legal, we've had to strip similar routines from products sold by my mothership). There's obviously a balance between how difficult banks make opening accounts – there's been enough complaints on here about the current hassles. I don't, tbh, know how they open these throwaway accounts, simply changing the name on out account when my wife and I merged finances took made me feel like I was a extra in a extended movie version of The Trial. But yes, I guess a false passport and a laser printer/copier make it easy.

While not necessarily wishing to defend the banks, whose inherent loveliness may well be questioned, I still think there an element of caveat emptor, don't give a large sum of money to some anonymous person on Facebook with no due diligence.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 27 November, 2017, 01:52:13 pm »
and in the meantime, the fraudster is still scamming people daily. I always said that I never understood how people can be frauded by Nigerian scams etc, but this one fooled me .... the guy is very clever and there are many people on facebook who have fallen for the same scam
This is totally different to a Nigerian scam though. A random stranger contacting you out of the blue and asking your help in transferring large sums of money out of another country isn't exactly something that happens everyday, whereas paying money in advance (was it rent or deposit? Not that it matters either way, the lack of distinction is symptomatic of the broader issue) to an absentee landlord is really rather a normal experience. One scam lures in the gullible with curiosity and avarice, the other works by blending into the background.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

dim

« Reply #57 on: 27 November, 2017, 03:19:42 pm »

This is totally different to a Nigerian scam though.

https://www.fraudguides.com/consumers/rental-scams/

quote:

Nigerian Rental Scams. This scam is a variation of the two previous scams but differs in that it takes place on the internet and the scammer doesn’t need to be present and may never have been to the property. This scam is especially dangerous because it targets both property owners and renters. One flavor of this scam involves a crook finding a photo of a property and its address then posting them on Craigslist or other online rental websites hoping someone will be willing to wire them the first and last month’s rent, security deposits, and assorted fees (Sound familiar?). If you think no one falls for this, guess again. People are generally quite trusting and the ad will be so enticing that the potential renters will think they’re getting a bargain.
A variation of this scam is the classic Nigerian 419 scam. Someone will answer an online posting for a property and ask to pay by Western Union or an equivalent money wiring service. If the landlord takes the bait, and many do, the renter will “accidently” pay too much. The renter will apologize and ask for the extra funds to be sent back to them. If the landlord doesn’t wait for the payment to clear the bank and sends the money, they’re out whatever they send. That’s the scam and it’s very successful.
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #58 on: 27 November, 2017, 04:06:53 pm »
It's a wonder the Nigerian embassy hasn't protested about so many scams being attributed as "Nigerian".

« Reply #59 on: 27 November, 2017, 04:18:43 pm »
It's a wonder the Nigerian embassy hasn't protested about so many scams being attributed as "Nigerian".

Maybe they did but no one opened the link?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #60 on: 28 November, 2017, 01:19:53 pm »

Maybe they did but no one opened the link?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/28/the-true-story-of-the-fake-us-embassy-in-ghana

« Reply #61 on: 08 December, 2017, 07:27:32 am »
Apropos of this scam, was interested to see that the bank will soon be an unnecessary part of the process:

Chat and pay: How social media is beating the banks[/quote]

.   Social media companies know that if they can persuade people to do more transactions through their platforms it will strengthen the relationship with, and reliance on, their brands.
"All the big monster tech companies have a desire to inject themselves into every element of their users' daily lives," points out Michael Kent, founder chief executive of global money transfer app Azimo. 

« Reply #62 on: 05 March, 2018, 11:39:05 am »
Now I'm house-share hunting, I'm becoming aware of how much of this scamming is going on.

In 3 days I've been in contact with (or seen adverts by) 2-3 scammers. They might have been the same person. One looked legit and I exchanged emails before deciding they were a scammer.

All of them have had their accounts and adverts deleted from the letting websites (possibly as a result of my reports; I've had responses from the website fraud departments).

Nothing to stop them opening up another account, with new email addresses and trying again. All that will stop them is a modicum of savvy held by the consumers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>