Author Topic: Running on ice  (Read 2480 times)

Running on ice
« on: 18 December, 2017, 08:27:58 am »
Anyone tried anything like these:

https://www.millets.co.uk/footwear/122874-run-snow-grips.html/714298/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&istCompanyId=b238823a-59fd-4816-9c36-7dd47877f2a8&istItemId=raxrmrwwr&istBid=tzil&gclid=CjwKCAiA693RBRAwEiwALCc3u0hzq9hyHJ1pWEx1zG8y8m1p4HjNtDGqThWi7xmMwkdtjMLgE9TDYBoCdAsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Had to abandon a run on sun, pavements were covered in black ice, gave up after a cautious kilometre, it was hopeless. Even walking home was fraught, crossing a sloped driveway when walking was difficult. Finding time to go running is difficult enough, but most days are icy now.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Running on ice
« Reply #1 on: 18 December, 2017, 09:50:48 am »
I've got a pair, great for walking but I have never tried running in them.

« Reply #2 on: 18 December, 2017, 09:59:34 am »
I've got something very similar to
https://www.tiso.com/tiso-kaht-1127536/tiso-kaht-1127536-new-microspikes-black
They are great - pop on and off really quickly, very grippy on ice / frozen ground. I ran round the Pentlands in them on Saturday when everything was frozen hard.
They might be not quite the right thing if you only run on tarmac - I have run in them on tarmac and ti was OK, but it felt as though you could trash them quite quickly doing that.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2017, 09:59:46 am »
I've also got a pair, not sure that I'd trust them for running though, don't think that they fit tightly enough to my shoes to be confident in them for running.

« Reply #4 on: 18 December, 2017, 10:33:31 am »
I bought a pair of YakTrax a couple of years ago.
Since which time I've not had enough snow / ice to warrant putting them on.  :(

« Reply #5 on: 18 December, 2017, 10:35:04 am »
Off road and studsnhave always been my solution. Walsh PB's or Inov8 x-talon 190's in my case. I use these on any paved sections too, but taking care. They're better than road shoes, but icy pavements are always difficult unless you run in spikes (not actually recommended)

« Reply #6 on: 18 December, 2017, 10:49:03 am »
I have to go at least a kilo to get away from glazed pavements and then it's a tussocky field - which my dicky ankle does not like.
So really something with studs is the best option I think - the pavements round here seem be glazed with ice a lot of the week now.
If I get time over xmas I'll get my bike with M winters back into working condition, but would still like to be able to run. After last year's accident, I'm very leery of risking a fall, hence looking for something to help with grip.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 18 December, 2017, 11:15:49 am »
Discretion is the better part of valour.  I used to have gym membership and would go and do an hour or more on a treadmill rather than risk injury playing Bambi. 

« Reply #8 on: 18 December, 2017, 11:19:34 am »
Well Mr fimm has a pair of these:
https://www.startfitness.co.uk/inov8-arctic-claw-300-trail-running-shoes-black-167423.html
(or similar - definitely Inov8 anyway) and the majority of the people I was running with on Saturday were wearing something similar. Pricey but something you would only wear fairly occasionally once you had them.

« Reply #9 on: 18 December, 2017, 11:23:09 am »
Oooo.  Nice kit.   I would consider something like that.

« Reply #10 on: 18 December, 2017, 11:30:39 am »
They do look the business. I might have to look in the shops. ty

They aren't really much more than normal shoes, and would get used for 2 months a year.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 18 December, 2017, 12:51:10 pm »
Asics do something similar for less money, too.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 18 December, 2017, 01:01:32 pm »

I have a set of Kahtoona nanospikes, They've been very useful for walking to the station when things are slippery. I wear them when cycling on ice with spiked tyres. Haven't tried running in them yet, but that is what they are aimed at.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13 on: 18 December, 2017, 06:57:11 pm »
Well Mr fimm has a pair of these:
https://www.startfitness.co.uk/inov8-arctic-claw-300-trail-running-shoes-black-167423.html
(or similar - definitely Inov8 anyway) and the majority of the people I was running with on Saturday were wearing something similar. Pricey but something you would only wear fairly occasionally once you had them.

Pretty much standard price for innov8, but they are bloody good, i run almost all my miles in those these days, and definitely all off road
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #14 on: 18 December, 2017, 10:12:03 pm »
I've got the Yaktrax Pro. They are pretty good. Can run on ice or snow carefully. Not so good on bare tarmac, it just makes it slippier. And will probably wear out the chains quickly. So not very useful if its just a few patches of ice.
Don't know if the Yaktrax Run version makes much difference.

« Reply #15 on: 19 December, 2017, 04:20:21 am »
The Kahtoola Microspikes that fimm linked to are great for walking on snow, ice, and the occasional stretch of bare ground. I put a good number of miles on mine today in Rocky Mountain National Park on everything from water ice to packed snow to the occasional bit of bare rock. Not sure if I would want to run in them on icy pavement, though, I would expect my shoes to slide around in them.

The Yaktrax are good for running on packed snow, but they're not nearly as durable as the Kahtoolas. The Nanospikes look promising- I may try a pair. I would expect anything from Kahtoola to outlast anything from Yaktrax.

« Reply #16 on: 19 December, 2017, 09:16:10 am »
Tried 4 shops last night; yes they knew exactly what I was after, no, none of them stock those shoes, people are often asking for them.  :facepalm:

Seems buying online is the only way. My feet are an odd shape, I usually have to try 4 pairs of shoes on before I find a pair that fit so I never buy shoes online. Bloody ridiculous.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #17 on: 19 December, 2017, 10:53:18 am »
Or you could screw studs into your shoes. https://www.icespike.com

« Reply #18 on: 19 December, 2017, 11:03:54 am »
I think those would just slip on concrete and create another problem! Wish I did live somewhere with proper snow rather than just this ice.

The studs in the fujitsetsu or inova-8 275/300 are built for the job - they look just like the studs in M Winters and I guess have a similar effect.
<i>Marmite slave</i>