Author Topic: Slow / freezing laptop issues!  (Read 1044 times)

Slow / freezing laptop issues!
« on: 06 February, 2018, 04:43:24 pm »
Work laptop is old and very slow (6 years and over). In an attempt at finding it why I turned off bullguard and switched to Windows defender. I've switched back because bullguard is the designated av and the switch had no effect.

So I went into optimise drives from the windows button. I normally have drives C and D only but this time a third one is present 11% fragmented. It's not got a letter reference but a series of back slashes followed by volume then a number /letter combination. This drive won't defragment when I set it up.

My problem is I can't open that funny new drive so what is it and could it be a problem? I can't defragment it or see it in explorer.

Any ideas what's causing issues? It's not been right since the new os update was it 1709?

Re: Slow / freezing laptop issues!
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2018, 05:16:01 pm »
Try running Glary Utilites, and malwarebytes?   Any browsers with out of date plugins?  Look at resource manager (admin tools) to see which is the most CPU/RAM hungry application when the PC runs slow?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2018, 05:20:19 pm »
Run Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc). That will show what drives are attached.
Have you got any removable drives plugged in, eg a USB stick/phone/camera/GPS etc. Or maybe a network drive, or a folder mounted as a drive.

« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2018, 01:56:46 pm »
Only thing plugged in is a mouse dongle. Looking at one of the system tools it showed only C, D and optical disc drive. Only on defrag did it show the suspicious drive at 11% fragmented.

Nothing was running high when I looked at it last, except for the program doing the monitoring which was very high.