Author Topic: File manager for android  (Read 1168 times)

File manager for android
« on: 06 July, 2018, 08:05:14 pm »
Can anyone recommend one?

I find it incredible (though may be missing something) that the system doesn't come with a fully functional one built in.

I used to use ES file explorer but it became bloated and wobbly.

I need to be able to do things like rename files on the SD drive.

In short all the normal basic stuff I could do eons ago on DOS.

My android version is something above 6.

Re: File manager for android
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2018, 08:46:46 pm »
I use the Asus File Manager, though none of my devices is an Asus.

It happened to be the only one capable of spotting the NAS drive on my home network automatically. That's mainly why.

« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:05:33 pm »
thanks for the reply.

After more exploration I think I have a bigger underlying issue.

Will start another thread in the morning when my head is clear.

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:11:44 pm »
ES File Explorer is fine, just decline all the offered updates.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:48:30 pm »
Ghost Commander. It's free/open source, and simple and lightweight. It has plugins to connect to Google Drive, Dropbox, SMB shares etc.

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2018, 10:07:25 pm »
I use Astro and OI File Manager, but happy to hear why others mentioned are better.

« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2018, 07:46:06 am »
ES File Explorer pro is fine, works on my Android TV, Chromebook, at least 5 different phones since I bought it a few years ago.  Pay once then install as needed, no ads in the paid version.  Often the simplest way to install an apk.

If you have LineageOS, the built in file explorer is simple but fine.  It probably is AOSP rather than Lineage but I'm not 100% sure.

« Reply #7 on: 07 July, 2018, 09:36:05 am »
Thanks folks.

I installed ghost commander.

I think I may have had another temporary issue with my SDcard changing itself to read only which maybe accounted for my various other file managers not being able to rename files on it.

Rather like the simple look of ghost commander so may stick with it and delete the others.

Including ES Explorer - part of the reason I deleted it before was that after several months of working just fine and dandy with limited permissions it suddenly for no reason I could think of basically demanded everything/my soul.

By the by in my researches I found another file manager called Solid Explorer which seemed good. Didn't take the time to explore it much in its 14 day trial period so can't offer a definitive review.

Would be interested in other folks' views on it/whether it is worth paying for.

Anyway, now seems as if I have managed to get OSMandplus working again (its maps are stored on my SD card).

Thanks again.