Author Topic: Recording music  (Read 1155 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Recording music
« on: 26 August, 2018, 10:34:20 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT8EhnLRAnc

That's my latest effort. It's as much a triumph of camerawork and editing as one of musicianship.

That prelude is a product of Bach's period in Leipzig, so at home on a Blüthner. He wrote Book 1 of the 48 preludes & fugues about 20 years before he wrote Book 2. I think it's an absolutely lovely piece and did my best with it, honest.

Dez used only two cameras for that - his Panasonic something-or-other for most shots, and a Go-pro for the overhead ones. I played the piece at least 8 times all the way through for each camera angle and then he knitted it all together using Final Cut Pro. The recording was done with one of these on a flexible tripod. You can see it in some shots sitting inside the piano.

There was one slightly amusing technical hitch in the editing process when Dez discovered that the Go-pro was set to a different frame rate from the other camera. This meant that the sound was raised by about half a semitone! This problem was solved by the computer doing some sums and then recalculating the pitch. Interestingly, we had a similar problem earlier in the year when our choir was practising the Mozart Great C Minor Mass. I bought a recording by John Eliot Gardiner and the Montiverdi Choir and they use period instruments, which are set about a semitone lower than modern ones (A=415Hz, compared to 440Hz for modern instruments). That meant that when we wanted to practise our parts, the recording was out of tune with the piano, which was very annoying. Dez knows how to alter the pitch of MP3 files, so the problem was solved.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Recording music
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2018, 10:49:49 am »
Lovely, Peter.  I'm put in mind of Victor Borge's gag, "The Bluthner (or was it Baldwin?) people have asked me to announce that this is a Steinway piano"! But not by your playing!

Off to listen to the fugue, now!

Peter

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2018, 11:11:52 am »
Thank you! I haven't recorded the fugue yet. It's not that hard, but I haven't practised it so much.

I have decided to try and expand my repertoire by aiming to play and record a different piece to mark family members'/friends' birthdays. I'm not taking lessons, I haven't got any pupils, and it's difficult to find reasons to play new pieces. I think I played that prelude & fugue as part of my 3rd year exams at college.

One of my next pieces to learn is the Chopin waltz, op 64 no 2 (the "Minute Waltz" is op 64 no 1) which I think it hauntingly beautiful. I hope to have that ready for a friend whose birthday is in December.

« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2018, 11:14:41 am »
One good turn deserves another:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sund-pD6cS4

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2018, 11:24:24 am »
That's rather good!

I wish I could do that sort of improvisational stuff. I never have been able to. Hopefully Dez will be along in a moment with something that he has practising, which is his own version of a famous piece, but I'll say no more as I don't want to steal his thunder. Dez's younger brother is an almost-entirely-self-taught improvisational pianist who is now teaching himself some rather hard Beethoven (Pathetique, Waldstein, that sort of thing), so he is making the journey "the other way", which I think is more authentic really. I sometimes feel like a glorified copy-typist because all I have ever become (moderately) good at is interpreting what clever people have written.

« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2018, 11:41:01 am »
You're all well ahead - I can't do any of it!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2018, 06:19:37 pm »
Here is Denis's effort - a piece of Choplin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u61H98MEMPA

« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2018, 06:35:01 pm »
Great Fun!  Possibly more Scott Strauss II in construction?  V. reminiscent of heydays of music hall.