Author Topic: Which iPhone?  (Read 4524 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Which iPhone?
« Reply #25 on: 04 September, 2018, 12:03:28 pm »
Ask your provider for a new SIM (or buy one in a shop, they're usually a quid or so). With the network I'm on you can do the porting via txt msg. Works for both payg and contract.

I now have a SIM adapter, my 4S is up and running. I'm expecting a couple of important work calls, so it's a weight off my mind.

Have also in a fit of impetuosity ordered a 6S. Will kick myself next week when the prices drop massively.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #26 on: 01 October, 2018, 01:40:03 pm »
I've been given an iPhone 4S, but I think that all I want to do with it is to make (very occasional) calls and txts and use it as a camera.  I've got a cheap Samsung PAYG dumbphone on Lycamobile - do I just need to get Lycamobile to send me a micro-SIM card?  I don't think I want to use my phone for other stuff... or do I?  ???

« Reply #27 on: 01 October, 2018, 01:57:21 pm »
Assuming the phone is unlocked, yes that's what you need to do.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #28 on: 01 October, 2018, 08:03:22 pm »
Buy a dirt cheap non smartphone to tyide you over. £15 will get you a good one.

I have an old iPhone 4S that still works. I would just stick my SIM in that for the time being but it's the wrong size (4S uses micro SIM, 5S uses nano SIM).

Looked at what they have in the way of cheap phones at Argos - gobsmacked that you can now get a 3G mobile for as little as £7. Unfortunately, all the cheap phones at Argos also require micro SIM as well.

One question about cheapo phones from Argos: they're all listed as being attached to a particular network. Does that mean they're locked to that networK?

I've looked online for SIM adapters and apparently Wilko do one for £2.50, so that would probably be the best option for now.

I'm sure I've got a nano to micro adapter somewhere if that would help