Author Topic: What are the sentencing guidelines for Death by dangerous driving?...  (Read 5737 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: What are the sentencing guidelines for Death by dangerous driving?...
« Reply #25 on: 26 November, 2018, 05:02:36 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-46345059

Yup. 'Careless'.
Yup. 'Unfamiliar with the road'
So all those big signs, road markings and sodding great grassy lump in the middle of a circular road: none of them are clues?

But it does beg the question. Why is she in prison when so many other tossers aren't? I mean, she even pleaded guilty, FFS!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

ian

« Reply #26 on: 26 November, 2018, 07:01:43 pm »
Sadly, in cases like this, I don't really see the benefits of a longer prison sentence. One woman is dead, another has to live with causing it. Her remorse for once seems genuine.

It's more a symptom of habitual lack of care drivers exhibit – and that as a society we're continually unwilling to hold them to account. It generally doesn't take minutes on the road to see drivers do something stupid and 99.99999% of the time they get away with it. Of course, what makes it worst, is that getting away with it habituates bad driving behaviour. Nothing bad will happen until it actually happens.

It goes back to penalising the little things and taking them seriously. It's too late once someone is dead.

« Reply #27 on: 26 November, 2018, 07:57:38 pm »
Amazed defending lawyer cited unfamiliarity with road layout as mitigating factor.

Spend enough time in court and nothing defence lawyers advance as mitigation will surprise you any longer.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 26 November, 2018, 07:59:06 pm »
I think "Negligent" would be a better term - bring it in line with risking the lives of others in the workplace.

[@ian ; I'm in favour of short-sharp-shock tactics. More short prison sentences, really shake people up, and make more of an impact on their friends/colleagues than just fines and bans.  There is probably a study somewhere showing this doesn't work, but I haven't seen it yet ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #29 on: 26 November, 2018, 08:39:45 pm »
It doesn't – and shouldn't – need prison, the point is to nudge drivers into safer more careful practices rather than letting bad practice become the norm and relying on chance to prevent bad outcomes (which is effectively what the current system does). That generally means modest fines and other inconveniences for even the minor offences but, of course, that requires road policing and for drivers to believe there's a chance of getting caught. Given the number of drivers I see speeding, using their phone, and other illegal activities, that's obviously not the case. There was an article the other day about 20-limits not working and the reason, of course, isn't that driving at a reduced speed isn't safer, but that simply people were not adhering to the limit and there's no enforcement. The message there isn't just that you can get away with it but that it's somehow not important or serious. Yes, it's obviously unfair to drivers, penalising them for breaking the law, but perhaps rather than keep the conservation about drivers, maybe we should ask how they feel about their own children and loved ones, or themselves being on the receiving end. There's a lot of othering, a lot of excuses, even down to the language were the driver is nearly always absent from crashes, their cars absently careening into each other and anyone who gets in the way. That's mostly, I think, because drivers don't want to accept that they're the causal agent and the responsibility that would entail.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #30 on: 27 November, 2018, 12:40:13 pm »
I meant to ask my mate Chairman Al, who knew the victim, whether this happened on Hemel's version of the Magic Roundabout, as that confused me greatly the first time I encountered it.  Though my reaction was to slow right down to give myself more time to figure it out, not press on regardless.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 27 November, 2018, 02:30:20 pm »
I meant to ask my mate Chairman Al, who knew the victim, whether this happened on Hemel's version of the Magic Roundabout, as that confused me greatly the first time I encountered it.  Though my reaction was to slow right down to give myself more time to figure it out, not press on regardless.

Looking at Google Maps for junction of Bennetts End Road and A414 suggests this is NOT a magic roundabout...

« Reply #32 on: 27 November, 2018, 02:56:08 pm »
No it's not that one, it's worse because the congestion at the magic roundabout slows everything down, plus the contraflow helps confuse people. The Bennetts end one is much faster and hard to cross the A41 on as a result, so people often take chances getting into the stream. I'm glad I no longer commute through it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #33 on: 12 February, 2019, 07:30:19 pm »
When I read it earlier - it said dangerous - but I'm with Butterfly - if driving is bad enough to result in death - then by definition it is dangerous.

But not by the definition in the Road Traffic Act, where it's the standard of your driving, specifically how it falls below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver, that determines which offence you would be charged with.
I think we should all expect careful and competent drivers not to hit a person sufficiently illuminated as to be visible from 200 yards.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #34 on: 12 February, 2019, 11:47:11 pm »
Absolutely.
It is simpler than it looks.