Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 16th July 2022  (Read 6414 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 16th July 2022
« Reply #25 on: 13 July, 2022, 10:27:44 am »
Was going to do it after a few years lapse but no bikes on any GA trains on Sunday so not even the option to ride to Ipswich to get back to London, and riding back in 40c doesn't sound appealing.

The forecast is rather confusing. Although there's an amber warning of extreme heat for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, the maximum temperature forecast for Southend and Ipswich is a mere 22°C on Sunday. That would mean riding to Ipswich, or Felixtowe for a ferry to Harwich and a train to London would be quite feasible. Better still would be a ride to Thorpe-le-Soken, which has direct trains to London, and none of those would have any other DDers on them. 27°C forecast for London on Sunday, so that's actually quite a lot cooler than this week has been.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #26 on: 13 July, 2022, 11:37:02 am »
I'm in - well, I plan to start it although God knows how far I'll get after two years of this plague crap. I'll try for an early start given when the sun comes up on the Sunday it's going to be increasingly brutal.
How early is 'early'?

I'll probably shoot for 1930 at the park, get a routesheet as soon as I can after that, and clear off. Even if it does mean being passed by the entire fast bunch.

I see there's no bikes on trains from Lowestoft to Norwich as part of GA's usual plan to make things worse every year. I suspect I'll have to limp down to Felixstowe then ferry to Harwich as Wowbagger suggests.

(Oh, or I could go to Ipswich then to Cambridge, which is after all where I live. Assuming GA's Website is telling the truth.)

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/service-alterations/2022-dunwich-dynamo says Lowestoft-Ipswich, Lowestoft to Norwich, Ipswich to London.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/news-desk/news-articles/greater-anglia-issues-travel-advice-dunwich-dynamo-cyclists-0 says any service to or from Ipswich.

I've rung them up and after about 15 minutes on the phone persuaded them to log a ticket to make these two pages say the same thing.

« Reply #27 on: 13 July, 2022, 05:25:15 pm »
Better still would be a ride to Thorpe-le-Soken, which has direct trains to London, and none of those would have any other DDers on them.

Ah - good call.  Just mapped a 54m route on quiet roads.  Not the end of the world if they don't let me on there as I'll already be half way home.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #28 on: 13 July, 2022, 09:28:02 pm »
Maybe see you there or en route. I’m aiming to arrive at the park for 19.00 and will probably set off around 20.00. Is there a traditional rendezvous place in the park for the YACF massive?

« Reply #29 on: 13 July, 2022, 11:30:39 pm »
Last time I rode it, just up the road from the pub on the park.

I look like this http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/bfb/york.png although I'm not always having a nutritious breakfast.

Depending on how grim the weather is forecast to be on Sunday and what answer (if any) I get from GA, I admit I might peel off around Finchfingfield and just ride home rather than get roasted alive half the day.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30 on: 13 July, 2022, 11:39:17 pm »
The forecast still tells me that all the Suffolk & Essex coastal towns will have maximum temperatures of 22°C on Sunday, despite the amber warning.

I'm still looking at the logistics of charging. I reckon my charging time will make my overall average on the R & M roughly what my moving average would be on the Thorn (9mph), which would mean that effectively I'll be saving all the rest time I would have needed with the Thorn, and that's quite a bit.

I'm still toying with ideas and I'd love to do the ride. I still think I'll be making  a decision on the day. I might check the pubs to make sure they are OK with me charging up. A full battery is only about 15p's worth of leccy.

If I do ride, I'll probably aim to set off soon after 7pm to make sure I keep well ahead of my normal schedule. Terry has told me that he will be going out in the afternoon so I can't afford any Lanterne Rouge luxuries this year!

« Reply #31 on: 15 July, 2022, 11:34:04 am »
I see there's no bikes on trains from Lowestoft to Norwich as part of GA's usual plan to make things worse every year. I suspect I'll have to limp down to Felixstowe then ferry to Harwich as Wowbagger suggests.

I rang them up again this morning to find nothing had been done (quelle surprise) but got someone who told me no bikes on trains on Sunday from Ipswich, Lowestoft, Norwich, or London. (So, what, someone can't take a bike from London Liverpool Street to Hackney Downs because of the Dun Run?)

Allegedly they are calling me back later today.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #32 on: 15 July, 2022, 12:36:56 pm »
I have read that there is a blanket ban on bikes, including folding bikes, on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Seems utterly bonkers if true.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 15 July, 2022, 01:05:55 pm »
From https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/news-desk/news-articles/greater-anglia-issues-travel-advice-dunwich-dynamo-cyclists-0

"On Saturday 16 July, the usual six cycles per train rule will apply on the mainline. Cyclists must reserve a space in advance. Six cycles will also be permitted on local services on a first-come first served basis.

Cycles will not be permitted on intercity or local services to/from Ipswich on Sunday 17 July, and on local services on Monday 18 July."

From https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/service-alterations/2022-dunwich-dynamo

"Saturday 16
A maximum of 6 bikes will be carried on a first come first served basis between Lowestoft and Ipswich and on Intercity services between Ipswich and London a bike reservation must be held in order to board the service. Advance tickets are not transferrable so please make sure you have both a train ticket and a bike reservation for the correct trains.

Sunday 17
No bikes will be permitted on board services between Lowestoft and Ipswich (including Halesworth, Darsham, Saxmundham, Woodbridge) and Lowestoft to Norwich. No bikes will be permitted to board mainline services towards London from Ipswich, this applies to all trains from Ipswich.

Monday 18
No bikes will be permitted on board services between Lowestoft and Ipswich, Lowestoft and Norwich. A maximum of 6 bikes can be carried on Intercity services between Ipswich and London and a bike reservation must be held in order to board the service. Advance tickets are not transferrable so please make sure you have both a train ticket and a bike reservation for the correct trains.

Please note as per previous years the restrictions apply to all types of bikes, bike parts, folding bikes etc."
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #34 on: 15 July, 2022, 01:36:01 pm »
<snip>

Please note as per previous years the restrictions apply to all types of bikes, bike parts, folding bikes etc."

They really don't want bikers on their trains, do they?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #35 on: 15 July, 2022, 02:03:23 pm »
I wonder how big a bike part has to be? Thrown off the train for carrying a boxed inner tube or a set of brake blocks?

« Reply #36 on: 15 July, 2022, 03:12:46 pm »
LWB has quoted the two Web pages I linked above (not sure why) which don't say the same thing. I have also collected:

No reservations but otherwise entirely at train staff's discretion.

No bicycles to enter Ipswich station (but eg if I go Harwich->Cambridge via Ipswich, that's fine).

No bicycles at all on trains from or to Lowestoft, Ipswich, Norwich, _and London_.

An assertion that "No bikes will be permitted to board mainline services towards London from Ipswich, this applies to all trains from Ipswich" means "no bicycles to board any trains at Ipswich" which is, well, an odd way of phrasing that.

A few bland deflections with "48 hours" and "2 business days" because apparently the timeframe in which travel information is required doesn't affect the urgency with which it will be provided. (It's urgent for them too because their staff will have to deal with people who, eg, believe the 22 May "nothing from Ipswich" Webpage).

My _guess_ is it's "nothing from Ipswich" plus "nothing Ipswich-Lowestoft or Lowestoft->Norwich".

And I'm out; an alternative presented itself which doesn't involve this bloody train roulette. I'll still update this post if I get a straight answer.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #37 on: 15 July, 2022, 06:20:33 pm »
I've decided not to ride. It's an interesting problem juggling riding with charging, but the deciding factor is that I will be without my bike for as long as I take to drive up to get it. Probably a better bet would be an East Anglian tour some time, from home or with a small amount of rail assistance.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #38 on: 15 July, 2022, 06:36:05 pm »
Looks like a bostin night for it.  Warm, dry and practically windless.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #39 on: 15 July, 2022, 10:54:45 pm »
Just missing the Sudbury Fire Station bbq, but happily Gosbeck will be open and serving.

rogerzilla

« Reply #40 on: 16 July, 2022, 09:03:40 pm »
Have a good ride, everyone.  No way could I have done it - only got back from holiday at teatime and slept badly last night due to Alpine mozzies.

« Reply #41 on: 17 July, 2022, 09:10:37 am »
My plan was to ride out to Finchingfield, avail myself of the pub BBQ then head home. However I got as far as Woodford and decided I basically couldn’t be bothered for an accumulation of reasons, but mainly that I was too hot and tiredness had already crept back. What was the turnout like? Hackney was dead when I passed through, I only saw one other rider (although this was around 9:45 as couldn’t get away until quite late).

« Reply #42 on: 17 July, 2022, 11:03:01 am »
Better still would be a ride to Thorpe-le-Soken, which has direct trains to London, and none of those would have any other DDers on them.

Ah - good call.  Just mapped a 54m route on quiet roads.  Not the end of the world if they don't let me on there as I'll already be half way home.

That worked well - thanks Wow!  I was indeed the only cyclist getting on at Thorpe-le-Soken (let's keep this a YACF secret  ;D) TBH it's not actually much further than riding to Ipswich.  I did get stung with on-the-day prices though - almost 3 times what they would have been if I'd booked yesterday.  Didn't know what time I'd be travelling though and I seem to remember sitting in Ipswich station for several hours waiting for my advance ticket train in past times.

Dun Run itself was almost ideal conditions.  Warm, slight cooling head-breeze and everyone I encountered behaved themselves.  The moon was particularly spectacular last night - large and pink and often centred just above the road you were riding on.  Bright enough to illuminate the open parts of the route significantly.

More friendly banter than ypu get on sportives - there still seems to be a community ethos in spite of there being more fast riders on fast bikes.  I set out bang on 8 and was in front bulge being overtaken and re-overtaking the fast teams (they stopped more often than I did  ;)

My first DD for 10 years.  I used to do them regularly - not sure why I stopped  ;D

Edit:  There was a moment of confusion near Dunwich when I suddenly couldn't see through my glasses and appeared to be riding through a car wash  :o  A farmer had positioned his irrigation sprinkler incorrectly and a section of road was getting absolutely drenched.  What water shortage?!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #43 on: 17 July, 2022, 01:39:33 pm »
I really had withdrawal symptoms last night and this morning. I probably should have just done it on my Thorn, as usual.

« Reply #44 on: 17 July, 2022, 03:39:24 pm »
I rode over to Finchingfield from Haverhill area and joined the ride there just after 11pm.  I've done the ride from London once and don't want to repeat the experience.  I was an hour ealier than usual on the promise of a DIngle Tearooms breakfast as tthey opened at 4am.  I had breakfast there on a previous DD and it was stonkingly good.

Quite a low level of support areas, but the saver was the Gosbeck(?) vilage hall at where I was able to top up my water bottles. My earlier time meant I was constantly  passed by 'fast' peletons who have clearly never heard of the 1.5 m passing distance (I think I only overtook 1 person on the whole ride to Dunwich).  There was also a significant number of rear light in the megawatt range, so bright, you lost all you night vision as they passed.  As ever, some speed merchants disappearing off down wrong roads.

Having had a very straightforward ride I arrived in Dunwich about 4:30am and immediately beetled off up to the Dingle Tearooms. The tea rooms were almost empty so service was very quick.  However, the breakfast wad a big disappointment, crunchy fried eggs anyone? Baked bacon, really nice and tough.

I came back via Laxfield (cos the coop opens a 7am on a Sunday), Debenham (public loos with bottle friendly sinks, coop closed), Haughley (coop opens at 9am) and Hawstead( Malia Rosso-coffee and cake).  I had to have a snooze in Debenham because I was having trouble changing focus (5 minutes was enough),  Unfortunately I bonked really badly between Debenham and Haughley so had to resort to a couple of magnum Ice cream and a bottle made up with a bags of 'suspicious' white power (which I promptly kicked over, spilling half the bottle).  Large Americano and Millionaires shortbread plus another bottle made up with suspicious white power at the Maglia Rosso got me back home by 2:30pm having plumbed new depths of extreme knackerdness.

So a worthy 250k round trip including a 215km DIY Audax finishing at the Malia Rosso in the bag.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #45 on: 17 July, 2022, 05:40:41 pm »
Team Jethro-SpaceBadger rendezvoused(?) perfectly at London Fields for some mutual looking-after-bikes-whilst-using-the-facilities.

Setting off in formation, things rapidly went downhill 😁 A brief meet up at Fyfield and that was it for the night. It was a pleasure to meet another YACFer  :thumbsup:

Credit to the teams at Fyfield and Gosbeck for excellent, tasty provisions with a warm welcome. I forgot how soon after Needham Lake you arrive at Gosbeck and ended up asking myself again why I bother with the former. The music is the only saving grace at 2am.

DD number three done. Looking forward to number four. After I’ve slept.

rogerzilla

« Reply #46 on: 17 July, 2022, 09:17:26 pm »
I should be joining you, since it was just a scheduling conflict keeping me out this year.  I bet the weather won't be as good.  On the upside, it should be on 1st July, and it makes a huge difference having the extra daylight.

« Reply #47 on: 17 July, 2022, 09:39:29 pm »
They certainly had a good night for it, near perfect conditions this year.  It was good to see DD riders passing by mine as darkness fell.  There didn’t seem to be as many as usual or was that just that after completing Hereward The Wake earlier in the day I was out for the count before the bulge reached The Rodings?

I had to question the thought processes (or lack of) of whoever was leaving route marking candles lit on grass verges in the current extremely dry spell. I know it’s traditional but…

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #48 on: 17 July, 2022, 10:57:12 pm »
Three anecdotes gleaned from that faecebook.

Firstly, Brian, my erstwhile stoker from 2019, completed the ride on a solo machine. This is especially impressive as he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease a year or so ago.

There were reports of some guy riding who apparently celebrated his 80th birthday yesterday.

And less worthy of celebration, some moron with the capacity to do so locked the "disabled" loos at Needham Market "because they are for disabled people, not cyclists", thereby preventing lots of cyclists from refilling their water bottles.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 17 July, 2022, 11:54:46 pm »
Firstly, Brian, my erstwhile stoker from 2019, completed the ride on a solo machine. This is especially impressive as he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease a year or so ago.

:thumbsup: