Author Topic: Egan Bernal down..  (Read 7309 times)

Re: Egan Bernal down..
« Reply #25 on: 11 March, 2022, 08:11:07 am »
Good job they now have to wear helmets, then.

« Reply #26 on: 11 March, 2022, 12:28:57 pm »
Since the extreme positions for TT are required to reduce frontal profile, and the forward position makes it difficult to see, maybe try a different position?

They could try leaning the other way, back. Instead of vertical legs, have those out in front as well, to reduce frontal area.

Rider vision would not be impaired.

Could be a real advance in cycling technology for TT.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27 on: 11 March, 2022, 01:49:56 pm »
When I had a dose of Shermer Neck on a 1000k in 2014 I had wild ideas of fixing a mirror at 45° just above the fork crown, or providing an artificial horizon by shining a laser at the road.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #28 on: 11 March, 2022, 06:24:19 pm »
The mirror thing would only work if:
  • you combined two of them inna-periscope-stylee, or
  • you turned yourself umop-ap!sdn, and
  • you blocked out any view of the world through anything other than the mirror, as otherwise your head-branez get confused and you crash

The latter - lying on your back and seeing the world only via the mirror – has been shewn to work effectively on the Eivie series of streamliners designed and generally ridden by Damjan Zabovnik.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #29 on: 11 March, 2022, 07:43:27 pm »
Since the extreme positions for TT are required to reduce frontal profile, and the forward position makes it difficult to see, maybe try a different position?

They could try leaning the other way, back. Instead of vertical legs, have those out in front as well, to reduce frontal area.

A recumbent position?
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30 on: 11 March, 2022, 08:58:38 pm »

A recumbent position?

That sounds like it could be quite aero and possibly fast
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #31 on: 12 March, 2022, 01:57:21 pm »
LOL @mrcharly-YHT.

Yeah, why not have TTS on ratracers?  The bikes are already different enough.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #32 on: 13 March, 2022, 07:02:51 pm »
Wasn't there a prone recumbentist who had 45degree mirrrors fixed to his glasses?

Alex Dowsett had an idea about improving UCI TT safety by allowing hands to move up to the racers face rather than lowering their head towards their hands.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

ElyDave

« Reply #33 on: 13 June, 2022, 08:12:19 pm »
another TT-bike incident, gust of wind again, result = broken shoulder

The video shows just how quickly it happened

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/on-board-footage-shows-alexey-lutsenkos-mount-teide-crash

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #34 on: 13 June, 2022, 10:21:57 pm »
Ouchy!

On our last cycling holiday pre-pandemic we hired bikes in Gran Canaria. They had disc brakes and deep section rims. They were well twitchy on windy (blowy, not necessarily twisty) descents  :hand:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #35 on: 13 June, 2022, 10:39:50 pm »

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/on-board-footage-shows-alexey-lutsenkos-mount-teide-crash

Although he was on the basebars with a fairly shallow front wheel so not really the causes you usually attribute to 'TT bike incident'.

« Reply #36 on: 14 June, 2022, 08:46:21 am »

Although he was on the basebars with a fairly shadow front wheel so not really the causes you usually attribute to 'TT bike incident'.
The geo might be a bit different, but it's the sort of thing that can (and does) happen on a regular road bike and is barely noticed by the press.

ElyDave

« Reply #37 on: 14 June, 2022, 11:03:05 am »
It was certainly a feature of my ride on Saturday, lots of gusty side winds and fighting the bike, but I do wonder whether there is an inherent lower degree of stability and ability to respond on a TT bike due to the geometry.  His mate did not seem to be affected as badly, unless he was simply shielded from the wind.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #38 on: 14 June, 2022, 12:35:37 pm »
TT bikes often have very slow steering (small fork offset) so the bike follows a straight path with little input needed, ideal when you don't have much leverage from tribars.  Unfortunately, slow steering goes hand in hand with lean steer, so a gust of wind from the side, causing the bike to heel over, can induce the bike to change direction.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #39 on: 15 August, 2022, 06:00:12 pm »
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #40 on: 17 August, 2022, 11:16:16 pm »
I think that had very little to do with the bike and all to do with the wind on Tenerife. I have been going to Tenerife and cycling for over 15 years and have noticed a steadily worsening and gusty wind. I was out in Tenerife in April and was so scared that I will never cycle out there again. My nephew and his wife found the same the previous week and they are intrepid mountain bikers, fell runners etc.

The winds have become increasingly gusty and unpredictable. Whether this is global warming or something else I do not know.