Author Topic: Ads on Eurosport GCN cycling coverage  (Read 1907 times)

Ads on Eurosport GCN cycling coverage
« on: 05 June, 2022, 04:43:04 pm »
Is it just me or are the quantity and length of ads on live cycling increasing?  Call me cynical but could this be to get people to pay for the ad-free subs, which they seem to be pushing on the commentary on a regular basis.

I'm already paying for Eurosport as part of my VM package (wouldn't bother otherwise) but that's not enough apparently.
The sound of one pannier flapping

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Ads on Eurosport GCN cycling coverage
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2022, 12:00:30 am »

Even if you pay you still get ads... just for GCN+...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2022, 07:54:42 am »
If watching on PC/ (with Amazon prime) there is a parallel Eurosport (Discovery+Sport) TdF feed with no commentary or adverts to switch to, as soon as any adverts appear on the usual GCN/Eurosport commentary feed.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2022, 09:24:43 am »
I have a Eurosport subscription. The cycling coverage morphed into the GCN feed. I don’t remember any adverts in the coverage once a race starts.
It’s important to select the right feed - I get 3 options on the Eurosport page. I’ve made the mistake of selecting the one with adverts more than once.

« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2022, 01:48:02 pm »
I don't pay a separate Eurosport sub - just get the regular channel as part of my VM TV package  (which I DO pay for, largely for Eurosport). 

Ironically however I'm watching the tour on ITV.  The same live coverage, fewer ads and far better commentators  (Kirby & Kelly do my ***** head in) :thumbsup:  ;D .
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2022, 09:44:42 am »
I did have Eurosport as part of the YouView package from PlusNet, that cost me about £6 a month IIRC. It was the main reason for paying for that; it was the cheapest way to get a recordable cycling feed. PlusNet removed Eurosport at about the same time GCN+ started up, then canned their YouView altogether. I now pay for GCN+, which is pretty much perfect for cycling and much cheaper than the TV subscription was, for channels I don't care about.

No ads, and don't have to remember to record stuff. The issue I have at the moment is that the apps on FireTV and on my TV itself tend to only have the last week or so of full races to go back to. If I'm well behind, I need to run it from my laptop  - where the history goes back ages - and cast to my TV.

If you're only paying for VM TV for Eurosport, this may be far cheaper for you.