Author Topic: How long to get off train at Harwich International and check-in at ferry  (Read 1220 times)

I am booked on a 23:00 ferry from Harwich to Hook-Of-Holland.
Last Check-in time is 22:00

My preferred train is scheduled to arrive at Harwich International at 21:29

Is 31 minutes enough time to get a loaded touring bike off the train and navigate to 'check-in' ?
Is it totally obvious where to go or is there any scope for getting lost (I get lost a lot) ?
Is the 22:00 check-in deadline flexible or is it an absolute deadline ?
Does the train from Cambridge generally arrive on time at 21:29 or does it have a history of being late ?

I could take an earlier train - but this one involves one change at Cambridge.
All other trains need 3 changes so a lot more faffing about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
It's a while since I've been, but it doesn't usually take that long. I seem to recall that the biggest issue when we went on one occasion was that the lifts were out of order and a member of staff was trying to get us to carry our bikes up some stairs when there was a perfectly serviceable ramp at the end of the platform which would have got us to where we wanted to be. I think we hung around faffing with the bikes until he had gone and then we used the ramps.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
When are you going?

I'm not sure of dates, but there are currently threats of industrial action on Greater Anglia which you might also want to build into your planning.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=84501.msg1727233#msg1727233

Here's an old thread about our (and others') experience.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Good link there Wow.

Our experiences at Harwich have never been excellent with the lifts being a significant issue as well as port staff not seeming to be fully cognisant with bikes and ferries in spite of it clearly being a popular route for cyclists. 

On top of that I would suggest that you give yourself more than 30 minutes just in case trains are delayed or cancelled.  Given the incoming rail-bending temperatures and inevitable likelihood of late running trains let alone pending industrial action, I would err on the side of caution.  But then, I am known for being a glass half empty, risk averse type of bear.

Thanks all !

I am travelling on Monday 22 Aug  -  engineering works at weekend so going on a weekday.

Sounds like it is doable but risky - I would probably be stressed out by the time I arrived.

I think I'll go by an earlier train (with 3 changes).
It also give me the option to get off at an earlier stop and cycle the last stretch.

Any cycle friendly routes in to Harwich Ferry Port (coming from Norfolk via Cambridge or Ely, then probably Manningtree)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Manningtree to Harwich has a nice route via Wrabness, looking down on the Stour.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

The check-in on a bike is the same as it is for a car. Cycle up to the booths with booking details. You’ll be directed to a boarding lane where you queue until called to board the ferry by cycling up the ramp, which was quite a fun, whirly affair as far as I can remember. This is how it was the last time I took the ferry in 2019.

If you get the earlier train you can board the ferry fairly early. From several hours before it sails.