Author Topic: Four days from Luxembourg  (Read 2085 times)

Four days from Luxembourg
« on: 08 August, 2022, 09:51:28 pm »
Suggestions please. Arriving in Luxembourg in the morning, but will probably be nearly lunchtime by the time I've dropped baggage at left luggage in the train station. Don't know anything about the area. Thinking Liège, Maastricht, Aachen, Trier. Any highlights/places not to miss?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Four days from Luxembourg
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2022, 10:19:57 pm »
Suggestions please. Arriving in Luxembourg in the morning, but will probably be nearly lunchtime by the time I've dropped baggage at left luggage in the train station. Don't know anything about the area. Thinking Liège, Maastricht, Aachen, Trier. Any highlights/places not to miss?

Head up to Troisverges. Find the Venn Bahn. Follow it all the way to Aachen. Max grade is 2%.

If you want something more local in Luxembourg. The areas east of the main north south river. Is very pretty. They call it little Switzerland.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2022, 10:49:24 pm »
Bugger I though this was about a classic noir crime thriller .
Its More Fun With Three .

felstedrider

« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:29:13 am »

I rode through the Ardennes and into Liege last week.   Lovely cycle routes coming in from the South and similar heading North.

My problem was that it hit 35 degrees when I arrived so I sat in my air conditioned hotel room and rehydrated.   Must go back and explore properly some time.   The Mercure was central and had underground bike storage.

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2022, 11:15:17 am »
Personally I reckon that northern Luxemburg has some of the prettiest cycling countryside anywhere. Hilly, but not ridiculously so, just about the right scale. So just head out northwards on some minor roads and don't worry too much about where you end up.

If you want a slightly more distant destination, I'd recommend Trier and the Mosel valley. But anywhere around there is pretty good.

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2022, 11:57:18 am »
I am heading from Bastogne to Maastricht via Luxembourg and the Venn in a couple of weeks.  Any tips ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2022, 07:09:05 pm »
I am heading from Bastogne to Maastricht via Luxembourg and the Venn in a couple of weeks.  Any tips ?

Rubber side down, rechts fahren :p

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2022, 08:49:05 pm »

Head up to Troisverges. Find the Venn Bahn. Follow it all the way to Aachen. Max grade is 2%.

J

That looks really cool - thanks!

So just head out northwards on some minor roads and don't worry too much about where you end up.

Yep, that's my kind of touring, sounds good!

« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2022, 08:52:41 pm »
Bugger I though this was about a classic noir crime thriller .

;D

« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2022, 07:56:41 am »
And then the murders began......

the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #10 on: 22 September, 2022, 08:54:18 pm »

J

That looks really cool - thanks!

So just head out northwards on some minor roads and don't worry too much about where you end up.

Yep, that's my kind of touring, sounds good!

OK time for a brief ride report.

Luxembourg is uninteresting, expensive, wet, the food is crap and the beer is worse. The Venn Bahn is cool (and there are a load of other similar long distance cycle paths scattered around) with good tarmac most of the way. There is a bit missing near the southern end, and for some reason I managed 2,000 m of climbing on the day that included the 125 km of the Venn Bahn. It has a beautifully long slow descent right into the centre of Aachen where most of the roads take a steep dive.

The cycle paths are amazingly well-maintained and equally amazingly under-used. But there's virtually nothing of note in the whole area. Normally I come back with several hundred photographs, this time barely two dozen and most of those are of the rain. "Four countries in four days" is the only redeeming element.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 02 October, 2022, 09:20:02 am »
I found Aachen a massive disappointment as a cyclist last month. I came in following the knokpunt system from Dutch Limburg (here actually: https://www.drielandenpunt.nl/ ).

Dutch side - lovely; german side - pretty crappy :(

Dutch Limburg is lovely! And I enjoyed the southern slice of LUX that we rode thru back in 2017-ish (although we didn't stay overnight)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles