Author Topic: Brittany Ferries WARNING re delays  (Read 1757 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Brittany Ferries WARNING re delays
« on: 19 August, 2022, 06:53:45 pm »
we boarded a ferry from Bilbao to Portsmouth in June, it was long delayed (due to boats breaking down in 2019 and then Covid).
Certainly not cheap at £314 one way including a superb 3 course dinner-and breakfast (and that was after a £70 discount as a result of the 2019 sailing being cancelled) for 2 with bikes and a sea view cabin, about twice the cost of flying to Gatwick.

but it was nice even though the tropical Spanish heat gave way to thunderstorms about 30 mins into the Bay of Biscay.

The next morning shortly after a pretty mingey breakfast (sorry I don't do jam and was not prepared to pay an extra £7 for some beans and a fried egg as that was the extra price for Full English) they announced that due to an engine problem we would be travelling at reduced speed and would thus arrive at 23.30 not 18.30 in Pompey.

This raised a problem that we would then miss our last train home and be stuck in Pompey overnight. The customer service person on board was very nice said "yes this happens sometimes no problem book a Travelodge and we will refund you" so we did. They even said they would normally pay directly but Travelodge would only accept payment from the customer staying.

6 weeks later having not received a refund we contacted BF again. We were informed by both the UK customer services and the ferry itself that it was made very clear at the time we would be liable for any additional costs as a result of the late arrival (complete lie) and that we should claim this on our holiday insurance

The customer service person was of course "en vacances"

The final weasel was they quoted their T /Cs which stated that we would only be entitled to compensation if the ferry was 6 hours late, it was just over 5 1/2

F**k Green I'm flying next time!

Re: Brittany Ferries WARNING re delays
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2022, 08:56:16 am »
That is very disappointing. We travelled with Brittany Ferries to and from St Malo this summer and certainly isn't a cheap option, so I totally feel your frustration of choosing the green option. We have chosen not to fly (or drive) for environmental reasons but it does feel as though we are penalised for it.

« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2022, 09:01:52 am »
Like last poster, we have chosen not to fly. Went with BF in May to Cherbourg returning from Caen. Returning next week with BF to and from St Malo. Unfortunately have to travel to Portsmouth earlier owing to rail strikes.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2022, 09:11:04 am »
due to an engine problem we would be travelling at reduced speed and would thus arrive at 23.30 not 18.30 in Pompey.

This raised a problem that we would then miss our last train home and be stuck in Pompey overnight. The customer service person on board was very nice said "yes this happens sometimes no problem book a Travelodge and we will refund you" so we did. They even said they would normally pay directly but Travelodge would only accept payment from the customer staying.

6 weeks later having not received a refund we contacted BF again. We were informed by both the UK customer services and the ferry itself that it was made very clear at the time we would be liable for any additional costs as a result of the late arrival (complete lie) and that we should claim this on our holiday insurance

The customer service person was of course "en vacances"

The final weasel was they quoted their T /Cs which stated that we would only be entitled to compensation if the ferry was 6 hours late, it was just over 5 1/2

F**k Green I'm flying next time!
They can't hide behind T/Cs: sounds like they owe you for the hotel costs that they caused you. Contact Which, Citiizens Advice, maybe tweet Brittany publicly .... someone will be able to help.

(I've never had a dealy with ferries - but of course these things do happen. If it's any comfort, the only time I booked a flight from the Med [Nice in fact], the planes never took off, and it took us 2 days to get home!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles