Author Topic: Bespoked: 14 - 16 October, Lee Valley Velopark  (Read 4324 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Bespoked: 14 - 16 October, Lee Valley Velopark
« on: 22 September, 2022, 06:02:46 pm »
Anyone interested in riding/training it to Bespoked on October 14th - 16th (Friday - Sunday)? At Lee Valley Velopark.

Grey Sheep expressed interest last night. We met a framebuilder (name's gone, doh!) on the boat going over to Holland the other week, who is going to be there. Riding the River Lee towpath from Waltham Abbey is a good cycling option (train/car assisted maybe?). Second breakfast at the Narrowboat cafe, on the Lee just south of Waltham Abbey? I can do Friday or Saturday, but not Sunday.

felstedrider

Re: Bespoked: 14 - 16 October, Lee Valley Velopark
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2022, 09:06:46 pm »
Expressing interest.

Funnily enough I looked it up today after we discussed last night.   I can only do Saturday and you may have to chaperone me to make sure I don’t order anything daft.

« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2022, 09:34:48 pm »
£20 for an advanced ticket? It should be free or near free, like going to look at stuff in a shop.

« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2022, 08:30:05 am »
Judging by how much the velodrome charges for a taster session, Bespoked will be paying through the nose to hire the venue.

I preferred if it wasn’t in London but I may go.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2022, 10:33:10 am »
I was thinking we could do a mini Bumpkins Ride - head off Friday afternoon via the same establishments and end up at Lea Valley campsite (obviously after dark as tradition dictates).  Brew off, breakfast, Bespoked then back home. The only issue really is leaving bikes and luggage outside the venue.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2022, 11:57:44 am »
I'm interested.
I can only make Saturday and would probably have to meet you near the venue as I have Dads Taxi duties to do first thing and late afternoon.

I also like the idea of egging felstedrider on I'm sure he needs a new bike  ;D
Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 23 September, 2022, 03:36:23 pm »
I'd be up for a Friday afternoon Country Bumpkins ride to Lea Valley campsite. Leaving loaded bikes at the venue is a risk I guess - perhaps we can take turns to stand guard?

Meet up with those coming by train or riding down on the day. Who else is up for camping?

« Reply #7 on: 23 September, 2022, 03:47:38 pm »
Another option would be to leave everything in a tent and collect later - it costs virtually nothing for another night for one tent.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

felstedrider

« Reply #8 on: 23 September, 2022, 03:50:29 pm »
I'll probably Parkrun first thing Saturday and then ride down so will likely arrive around Midday.

I have already decided to use the current 'best' bike into next year so any discussion will be around long term planning.   I still really fancy another custom steel bike.  I was eyeing up the Saffron website but I note they aren't exhibiting.   

« Reply #9 on: 23 September, 2022, 05:40:47 pm »
We met a framebuilder (name's gone, doh!) on the boat going over to Holland the other week, who is going to be there.

I can't remember his name either, but he is modelling here ... https://fuelyouradventures.com/shop

I'm due to be riding the Mid Sussex Hillier on the 15th Oct.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #10 on: 23 September, 2022, 07:24:28 pm »
This week’s Cycling UK email has a link to get the club member’s discount.
It might be interesting to go and see how frame building has morphed. I’d be up for a day trip though.
Zijn specialiteit was sprinten om de zesde plaats

« Reply #11 on: 23 September, 2022, 07:48:36 pm »
We met a framebuilder (name's gone, doh!) on the boat going over to Holland the other week, who is going to be there.

I can't remember his name either, but he is modelling here ... https://fuelyouradventures.com/shop

That led me to https://fuelyouradventures.com/graveldax

I’d be interested but I have other prior engagements

« Reply #12 on: 23 September, 2022, 11:22:17 pm »
Fortuitously I have that whole weekend off work so may be interested in a window shopping kind of way.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 24 September, 2022, 06:52:52 am »

RG Evans are based in Colchester I think ...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14 on: 24 September, 2022, 09:47:51 am »
Potential but think I may also have some other commitments that weekend....
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 28 September, 2022, 05:28:39 pm »
Ticket for Saturday booked.  :thumbsup:

How many campers? We stayed at the Edmonton one last time (by the leisure complex golf/athletics), which is fairly convenient for Stratford.

« Reply #16 on: 01 October, 2022, 10:14:30 pm »

I may have a tale of cautions in relation to this from some of my more local riders.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 08 October, 2022, 08:48:26 am »
The latest communiqué from Bespoked says there's going to be secure bike-parking at Lee Valley.

The long-range forecast for Saturday is reasonable ... for October.

felstedrider

« Reply #18 on: 09 October, 2022, 01:32:39 pm »
With morning plans as they stand I expect to get there around noon Saturday.  This does remind me that I need to book a ticket but I’ll get that sorted today.

« Reply #19 on: 11 October, 2022, 04:46:35 pm »
I like the idea of it but I have family stuff at the weekend, I think.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 11 October, 2022, 07:14:36 pm »
Due to a whole host of other commitments this week, I've now got work booked in for Friday, so I won't be camping. I'll just ride down on Saturday morning, probably getting there around midday and then taking the train back to Chelmsford from Stratford.

« Reply #21 on: 12 October, 2022, 10:48:24 am »
Ticket for Saturday Booked (but what an awful payment system >:()

I will also aim for a noon-ish eta
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #22 on: 12 October, 2022, 11:01:51 am »
Would we all be able to meet up en-route?

Somewhere like Fyfield?  Not sure of coffee stops around there...

Due to a whole host of other commitments this week, I've now got work booked in for Friday, so I won't be camping. I'll just ride down on Saturday morning, probably getting there around midday and then taking the train back to Chelmsford from Stratford.
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #23 on: 12 October, 2022, 01:46:45 pm »
Would we all be able to meet up en-route?

Somewhere like Fyfield?  Not sure of coffee stops around there...

Nothing in Fyfield afaik.  Plenty of choice in Ongar High Street (at least 3 coffee shops and a cafe).  Delimores Cafe in the small parade at the bottom or Frattellis just round the corner on the other side are ok.  Not used Allez Allez or the coffee place up by Tesco Express as yet (called GK iirc).  Bike parking might be interesting though.

I hope to be heading to Bespoked myself on Saturday so will keep an eye here and may head out to see if I can tag along.

« Reply #24 on: 12 October, 2022, 02:37:38 pm »
Nothing in Fyfield afaik.  Plenty of choice in Ongar High Street (at least 3 coffee shops and a cafe).  Delimores Cafe in the small parade at the bottom or Frattellis just round the corner on the other side are ok.  Not used Allez Allez or the coffee place up by Tesco Express as yet (called GK iirc).  Bike parking might be interesting though.

Allez Allez has plenty of bike parking in the garden at the back.
The sound of one pannier flapping