Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2172248 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12825 on: 15 March, 2018, 04:22:19 pm »
Becasue 'compressionless' outer is a sod to bend to match the bars.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #12826 on: 15 March, 2018, 05:35:30 pm »
We keep a number of fan heaters around for occasions when the heating packs up (frequent).  The newest two of these have safety switches in the base such that when you pick them up they cut out.  I'm sure I don't need to tell you which part had burned out in one melting itself and the surrounding plastic.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12827 on: 15 March, 2018, 06:17:46 pm »
Makes sense. Is there a neater way of joining them than a ferrule, for future reference? By 'neater' I mean 'one that the inner will go straight through without any unwrapping'.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12828 on: 15 March, 2018, 08:17:51 pm »
Don't know, if it sticks remove it and make sure the cuts in the outer are clean and the nylon liner isn't squashed. On a tenuously related note I seem to have lost the ability to feed new brake cables through road levers. Something I've been doing for more years than I care to remember. It's not like I don't know how...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #12829 on: 15 March, 2018, 10:38:42 pm »
Makes sense. Is there a neater way of joining them than a ferrule, for future reference? By 'neater' I mean 'one that the inner will go straight through without any unwrapping'.

I use electrical tape to hold the brake outer in place whilst putting bar tape on.  Sometimes I remember to remove it as I go along, sometimes I don't. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12830 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:32:21 am »
I always leave it on.

Meanwhile, I'm rewrapping my LH bar for the 3rd time this week, having finished it twice before noticing puckers. 3rd go suspended because one of the bloody dogs came romping in and knocked the front wheel so that the roll of tape was pulled out of my hand and unrolled onto the dusty floor. Got fed up & came in for coffee.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12831 on: 17 March, 2018, 01:42:36 pm »
shortened the steerer tube on the gravel bike, there is now acceptable 15mm of spacers above the stem (down from 30mm before)

« Reply #12832 on: 17 March, 2018, 01:54:59 pm »
It's cold outside, so doing a bit of a strip-down of the summer bike (as "summer" doesn't appear to be arriving any time soon...). Having failed to remove the drive side bottom bracket cup, I took it to the LBS who got it out straight away. Now I'm cleaning bolts and things - deep joy.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #12833 on: 18 March, 2018, 10:37:31 am »
My Cotic >X< cyclocross/winter commuter came with Tektro Lyra disc brakes which slowly became ineffective. I swapped over to Tektro Canti brakes but I missed the Disc brakes so bought a set of Shimano R317 cable brakes and spend the afternoon in the conservatory (the garage was freezing!) fitting them yesterday. It took a while as I had to bodge the mudguards to get them to fit over the Schwalbe Winter tyres... I hate Stays which you can not extend!!!

Them today was too windy and snowy to commute to work on it (may aim) so I have taken the train....
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

rr

« Reply #12834 on: 18 March, 2018, 11:52:00 am »
Tim (& anyone else interested) those two piece wheels can get stuck together with corrosion.

Remove the nuts holding the wheel together, screw them back about 3 full turns, then inflate* the tyre to around 40-50psi. Pop! We have separation . . .

*make sure you have plenty of distance between you and the wheel. Don't be a dick!
Be really, really careful if you try this, I recall a fatal accident doing something like this with a slightly bigger tyre.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12835 on: 18 March, 2018, 10:36:15 pm »
Yes, entirely aware of the safety aspects of composite wheels and tyre inflation. That's how I learned to put the wheel nuts back on before trying it.

First time I tried it was without the nuts on and around 40 psi the two halves of the wheel separated with an awful bang.

The flourescent lights were on the way out anyway . . .
VELOMANCER

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12836 on: 19 March, 2018, 08:28:12 am »
Today I have defettled a snowy path to stop complaints of wet shoes.  ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12837 on: 19 March, 2018, 08:44:13 am »
Removed some cheap'n'nasty electronic gubbins from a non-functional foam toy plane, and turned it into a functional glider

Also cut myself with my new knife, defettling a small amount of blood at the same time. :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #12838 on: 19 March, 2018, 11:39:24 am »
The internal “HEPA” filter and it’s foam outer filter from our cordless vacuum cleaner. What a difference! My wife had to reduce the power setting as the cleaner had got that much harder to push  :o.  Note to self - regular filter cleaning helps a LOT.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12839 on: 19 March, 2018, 11:45:11 am »
I always leave it on.
Meanwhile, I'm rewrapping my LH bar for the 3rd time this week, having finished it twice before noticing puckers. 3rd go suspended because one of the bloody dogs came romping in and knocked the front wheel so that the roll of tape was pulled out of my hand and unrolled onto the dusty floor. Got fed up & came in for coffee.

Yep - leave it on.  If the outers are really stiff I've been known to use duct tape to fix them to the bars before taping - and if, as with some brands, the self-adhesive strip on the bartape is iffy then I wrap thin double-sided tape around the bars before the final tape.  The double sided tape does give a better hold, especially when cycling in very hot weather and the bartape adhesive gets warm and moves, especially on the bends above the hoods.

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12840 on: 19 March, 2018, 01:26:11 pm »
Double-sided is a swine to get off, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12841 on: 19 March, 2018, 02:53:58 pm »
Double-sided is a swine to get off, though.

Nope - I use "medical adhesive remover" in an aerosol spray that works a treat  (it's the stuff they use to remove glue residue from from the skin for either sticking plaster or urostomy/colostomy bags)

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12842 on: 19 March, 2018, 09:04:26 pm »
New chainrings and chain on the Dawes.  I've been procrastinating, and it was becoming a liability.

Also gear cables.  Annoyingly they didn't look as knackered as they felt, but it does seem to have improved the shifting, so fine.  I'm slightly concerned the shifters may have seen better days, but we'll see how it gets on.  Since they're MTB levers I was able to inspect the nipple end of the brake cables for signs of fraying (there weren't any) so I decided to leave them until the next pad replacement.

While I was in a cables mood, I investigated the rear brake cable on barakta's trike.  Remember the Black Oil from the X-Files?  That's what was lurking within.  No wonder it was being a bit rubbish.  Since the rear derailleur (which has a similar cable run) appears to work admirably well, I'm guessing that it was a combination of one of those galvanised inner cables I accidentally bought from Wilko when they stopped doing stainless, and that monsoon we had at Wing in 2016.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12843 on: 23 March, 2018, 10:32:35 pm »
scraped and cleaned the inner surface of the tyre from dried-up sealant, remounted and refilled it with a fresh one.

« Reply #12844 on: 25 March, 2018, 05:09:33 pm »
Cut the grass! First time this year. Also managed to dry two lots of washing outdoors.

Trimmed the neighbour's yew slightly and cleared out the old grass debris from under the somewhat dense cotoneaster.

Lingering 'flu meant I had to stop myself from fainting a couple of times when I stood up quickly; bloody awful, this bout.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12845 on: 25 March, 2018, 05:36:17 pm »
Fitted a new tube to HK's Moulton spare rear wheel and guided her through replacing her Brompton's rear tube, which led to me fitting a Velox rim tape and cleaning a thoroughly grotted derailleur. Replaced the carbon fork on HK's Roberts and the chain on my Moulton. One of these days, I'll have caught up on the maintenance backlog.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12846 on: 25 March, 2018, 06:10:26 pm »
Chain and cassette on the commuter, also added some heli tape to the stays to protect it a bit from my d-lock and the sheffield stand. Removed a metric shitload of crud and salt at the same time.

Tracked down the source of a noise on the Sabbath to a loose mudguard fastener, going to have to threadlock that when I can find the ruddy stuff.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12847 on: 25 March, 2018, 07:19:11 pm »
LW&B. Is there anything original left of HK's bike...?
VELOMANCER

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12848 on: 25 March, 2018, 07:34:05 pm »
On her Roberts, only the headset and frame is original (1998) including paint. The stem and bars, Record ergolevers (rebuilt), Chorus derailleurs, RH TA Carmina crank and two chainrings date from a major rebuild about a decade ago. The rest has been replaced within the past couple of years. Luckily she spreads her mileage over four bikes now (previously five). One of the four is being replaced over the next month.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12849 on: 25 March, 2018, 08:42:30 pm »
For the first time evvah, managed to change my watch to BST without Ring TFM.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime