Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2168662 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13300 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:22:16 pm »
I glued some wheels to a fish.
Well that definitely removes its need for a bicycle.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13301 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:43:02 pm »
I glued some wheels to a fish.
Well that definitely removes its need for a bicycle.

Funnily enough, the BHPC Ladies' trophy (for it was that) bears the caption "...like a fish needs a bicycle?".  I'm not entirely sure what to make of it, other than it reflecting the importance of not taking these things too seriously.

« Reply #13302 on: 23 October, 2018, 09:48:09 pm »
The white plastic mouldings on the rear edge of both glass shelves in my Zanussi fridge had broken, resulting in wonky shelves.   Ransom Spares had the bits in stock & I've now got firm, level shelves again  :thumbsup:

I also got a new "smart" ID card at work, which means I can take my laptop home & log in via the businesses secure VPN, so I've fettled a little home office on my kitchen table.  I've always resisted this,  but with my current wonky ankle it seems a sensible precaution.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #13303 on: 24 October, 2018, 09:12:36 am »
Changed the drum bearings in our 20 yo Hotpoint washing machine.

What a job.  Took all day, I'm 99.9% knackered.  Essentially a total dismantling of the machine to extract then split the drum, drift out the bearings and seal, then fit new ones. At least I now know where the racket was coming from.  The old bearings were 100% shot...

Been there, done that (about 20 years ago with a 10yr old Hotpoint it lasted another 6+ years after that)
Now you know why engineers usually just tell you "it's knackered - you need a new one..."
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13304 on: 24 October, 2018, 01:02:16 pm »
Changed the drum bearings in our 20 yo Hotpoint washing machine.

What a job.  Took all day, I'm 99.9% knackered.  Essentially a total dismantling of the machine to extract then split the drum, drift out the bearings and seal, then fit new ones. At least I now know where the racket was coming from.  The old bearings were 100% shot...

Been there, done that (about 20 years ago with a 10yr old Hotpoint it lasted another 6+ years after that)
Now you know why engineers usually just tell you "it's knackered - you need a new one..."

If I'd had to pay a bloke to do the job I wouldn't have gone down that route.  It would have been off to the recyclers.  But, given that it's done sterling service, with bugger all of significance wrong over the years (I even think the motor is still on its original brushes), I sort of felt an obligation to help it get over the bearing pain.  It's a bit like the loyalty you feel for an ageing and increasingly infirm dog.

I note that all the major parts are available second hand, so maybe a respray of the slightly tatty front panel is called for.  This thing will see me out at this rate!

Mind you, I'm about to drag it back into the kitchen and try a quick wash, with old towels and mops at the ready.  If this goes badly, I have the choice of pulling the front of the drum off and fitting a new seal, or calling it quits and having the old dog put to sleep.

EDIT: I can report nary a drop of water left the drum in an unauthorised manner, and I did 2 quick washes while I watched it. Phew, I haven't got to change that drum seal.  Even better, I only ended up with 1 screw left when I'd put the casing back together.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13305 on: 24 October, 2018, 04:05:57 pm »
Bin bins.  ;D HT to Cudzoziemiec
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13306 on: 24 October, 2018, 06:05:13 pm »
 :thumbsup:

These must be posted in the Bins for Jane thread immediately!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13307 on: 24 October, 2018, 06:37:12 pm »
Ob. xkcd:

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13308 on: 25 October, 2018, 07:36:57 pm »
Oh oh oh!  ;D
Or rather, one one one oh one!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13309 on: 26 October, 2018, 03:23:12 pm »
Fettled the leaves on the pavement outside into bin bags.

« Reply #13310 on: 26 October, 2018, 04:52:04 pm »
Replaced the RCD twin socket faceplate on the shed power supply. We had (yet another) power drop out earlier this week, and my wife managed to trip the old one. Then it didn’t want to reset for several tries, and it powers the “outside” freezer, so replacement was needed. Added bonus is that this one is switched, so if the outside PIR lamp “sticks” on (as it sometimes does after a power cut) my wife can simply switch it off and on again.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13311 on: 26 October, 2018, 09:13:34 pm »
Made a cross-cut sled for my new (to me) table saw.  The fence isn't quite square, but it runs across the table on wooden battens in the mitre slots, and these have a tad of play.  When the aluminium strip ones arrive I should be able to replace the wooden battens and finish the fettling and get it dead square.

It's still a scary beast though.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13312 on: 26 October, 2018, 09:19:22 pm »
The Moulton now has 31.8mm (silver, slope) dropped bars and a matching stem.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13313 on: 26 October, 2018, 10:22:36 pm »
following torslanda's recommendation, replaced the brakeset on my hybrid bike (avid juicy three to shimano 315) as the piston, seal and bleed kit for avids would have cost more (not even accounting for the faff) than the new ready to fit brakeset. they do feel more "budget", heavier by 60g, but work well enough and there's no rubbing on the rotors when swaying the bike side to side even on the hardest sprints.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13314 on: 27 October, 2018, 10:26:55 am »
The biggest advantage of the budget Shimano brakes is how easy they are to fettle. Even in the wild...

Thanks for the name check, feedback is always appreciated.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13315 on: 27 October, 2018, 03:50:19 pm »
The biggest advantage of the budget Shimano brakes is how easy they are to fettle. Even in the wild...

is there a trick to remove and reinstall the safety pin without the pliers? i'd have much preferred something removable with a small allen key.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13316 on: 27 October, 2018, 04:15:37 pm »
Not that I'm aware of. Mind you, most split pins are soft enough that levering them out will straighten them. The downside is what it might do to the caliper...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13317 on: 27 October, 2018, 04:18:58 pm »
This lot:
Studded tyres onto the commuter, and moved the cassette from the old borked hub onto the new emergency wheel from Spa.

2018-10-27_04-16-10 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13318 on: 27 October, 2018, 04:57:51 pm »
I should probably mention I used all the swear words trying to get the wheels back into their dropouts, and one of them is still not in yet.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #13319 on: 27 October, 2018, 05:22:36 pm »
A brace of Ti Parts Workshop Eazy wheels, onto my Brompton.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13320 on: 27 October, 2018, 08:16:21 pm »
Fettled the rebuilt Giant onto the turbo for the winter.  I'd rather have a 'bent on there, but changing the cruzbike front wheel is an almighty PITA. 

Now thinking about hitting Wilko's tomorrow and fettling all my tools into new tool boxes.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #13321 on: 27 October, 2018, 11:07:36 pm »
Quite happy with this end result, best part it is a wee bit wider so I got a better grip for my big hand. I didn't set out to do that so that is a added win.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13322 on: 28 October, 2018, 01:16:33 pm »
Quite happy with this end result, best part it is a wee bit wider so I got a better grip for my big hand. I didn't set out to do that so that is a added win.

That's very pretty. What did you finish it with?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #13323 on: 28 October, 2018, 06:12:39 pm »
Dunno what the wood is, some off cut from somewhere.

I used Danish oil. Got pretty addicted to it for any wood work I do.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13324 on: 28 October, 2018, 06:41:26 pm »
Replaced a slashed Grand Prix on HK's trike with a Durano before a trike trundle with Jim and Edwin. If I build up the enthusiasm, I'll swap the other side to a winter tyre too.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...