Author Topic: Glasgow 2023 Worlds Routes?  (Read 1749 times)

Glasgow 2023 Worlds Routes?
« on: 27 September, 2022, 09:30:30 pm »
For the worlds in Harrogate, more by good luck than anything else, we ended up just short ride from the time trial course and on the elite riders road route. A big bonus given the rain to be able to time watch on telly and yet still pop out live each time the riders passed.

So the routes have been release for Glasgow 2023. But so far, despite Google's best help, I've only been able to locate very low detail indications of the routes.

Does anyone know any sites with more detailed maps of the likely routes*, especially the circuit in Glasgow city centre.

*Yes, I accept that things have potential to change at lot in the 12-months before the event so no blame will be attached.

Re: Glasgow 2023 Worlds Routes?
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2022, 01:18:52 pm »
Better than this?
https://www.cyclingworldchamps.com/championships/road/

My guess is that the Glasgow route will be similar to that used for the Commonweatlh Games and the European Championships; though there must be some differences as it is due to finish in George Square according to the website.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2022, 02:09:18 pm »
Here's a link with a bit more detail

https://www.cyclingworldchamps.com/news/2023-uci-cycling-worlds-set-for-stunning-road-races-amid-scotlands-most-iconic-landmarks/

I assume they mean the Campsies Crow Road not the Glasgow one.

Circuit something like from Park Circus (up through the park?) guess Sauchihall (as close as they'll get to the Art school unless they get the scaffolding down) step across to Bath Street before they hit the pedestrian zone (too cluttered)/Cathedral Street. St Vincent/Argyle street to Byres Rd then University Ave.

I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2022, 07:07:11 pm »
Thank you, but sadly that's the same low detail map and route description from the UCI that all the other media sites are then requoting.

However, last night I made a possible breakthrough by thinking laterally. Basically, I kicked myself for not remember that Glasgow hosted both the UCI Worlds and the Commonwealth Games road race in 2014.

A Google image search on that yields much better maps of the city centre circuit used then. I just haven't had a chance yet (it was late) to compare the 2014 maps with the 2023 description to confirm how similar or same the circuit will be.

« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2022, 05:57:12 pm »
The map doesn't show much detail because the routes haven't actually been decided yet.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2022, 06:32:44 pm »
Oh, I think they largely know the route - some of the roads are already being resurfaced with UCI 2023 mentioned as the reason in the details of their road closure.

Having worked through the landmarks mentioned in the description last night, it will very similar to 2014 but not exactly the same. The 2023 circuit is 14.4km versus 14.02 for 2014. Also the finish location has been moved to a different point on the previously used set of landmarks.