Author Topic: Harwich to Ipswich without trains  (Read 1901 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Harwich to Ipswich without trains
« on: 04 October, 2022, 12:05:59 am »

Turns out the first time I try to go back to the UK since before the plague hit, and I'm arriving on the day of a train strike.

I need to get from Harwich Ferry Terminal to the Old cattle market in Ipswich on Wednesday morning. In theory my Ferry arrives at 0630. Tho I don't know how fast I can get off the ferry.

Can anyone think of a way that is faster than walking to Dovercourt Hospital, catching a bus to Manningtree, walking to the bus stop by the station, and getting a number 92 bus to Ipswich?

If I can get off the ferry fast enough there's an 0722 from the hospital, and then I can get the 0922 bus arriving at 1012. Else It's all 2 hours later, with an 0908 to Manningtree, and a 1122 bus from the station, arriving 1212. Effectively it's gonna take me 5 hours from docking, to arriving in Ipswich 14km away (as the crow flies).

I've looked at the ferry to Schotley, but that arrives 2 mins after the bus to Ipswich leaves. I looked at the ferry to Felixstowe and then a 77 bus, but that only saves me about 20 minutes, and I still have to work out how to get to Harwich  ferry.

I looked at a taxi, but got a quote of 50 quid from one firm for just Harwich to Manningtree. And then others quoted me £235-250.

I'm travelling on foot with just a backpack.

Any ideas I've over looked? Anyone here happen to be driving from Harwich to either Manningtree or Ipswich on Wednesday morning?

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Harwich to Ipswich without trains
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2022, 12:29:40 am »
Bring your Brompton and carry it down to the car deck (yellow stairs, level 3). You’ll be off earlier than the foot passengers.

Alternatively befriend a trucker. The ferry actually docks at 5 am and they let the trucks off then.

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2022, 12:38:48 am »
I've little local knowledge, but Google Maps suggests you can do it by train in 47 minutes https://goo.gl/maps/4Nv3zfA6g7B46FLQ8

As regards a taxi,  earlier today I paid £15 for a 6 mile journey in a black cab (Merseyside).   Harwich to Ipswich is approx 24 miles so your quotes sound ludicrous.  Though they've a captive market. 

EDIT.   DOH!   You said TRAIN STRIKE.  Sorry , it's been a bad day! 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2022, 12:44:54 am »
Bring your Brompton and carry it down to the car deck (yellow stairs, level 3). You’ll be off earlier than the foot passengers.

Alternatively befriend a trucker. The ferry actually docks at 5 am and they let the trucks off then.

I considered the Brompton, but while it would solve a lot of problems on Wednesday morning. It massively complicates things later in the trip.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2022, 01:03:30 am »
I considered the Brompton, but while it would solve a lot of problems on Wednesday morning. It massively complicates things later in the trip.

Dredge something (ETA in case it wasn't clear: something bike-shaped) out of the canal and abandon it in Ipswich?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2022, 04:51:14 am »
There is a ferry from Harwich to Felixstowe. What are the bus services like north of the Stour?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2022, 09:03:00 am »
There is a ferry from Harwich to Felixstowe. What are the bus services like north of the Stour?

Ferry 1000 arrive 1015 bus 1056, arrive 1148. Saving over Manningtree: 24 mins.

Getting from ferry to ferry in Harwich is non trivial also.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2022, 09:54:36 am »

As regards a taxi,  earlier today I paid £15 for a 6 mile journey in a black cab (Merseyside).   Harwich to Ipswich is approx 24 miles so your quotes sound ludicrous.  Though they've a captive market. 

Just called round taxi companies. Got quoted £22-26. For Harwich to Manningtree. So have booked a taxi for 0800

Now hoping the 0920 bus turns up.

J
--

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2022, 10:09:08 am »
Sounds like you are sorted.  I assume you got a Manningtree taxi to fetch you rather than a taxi that lives at the docks.
I assume old cattle market is for an onwards bus, but if you are back in Ipswich later on (after end-of-work o'clock) and want to borrow a bike then let me know.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2022, 11:14:06 am »
Sounds like you are sorted.  I assume you got a Manningtree taxi to fetch you rather than a taxi that lives at the docks.
I assume old cattle market is for an onwards bus, but if you are back in Ipswich later on (after end-of-work o'clock) and want to borrow a bike then let me know.

I've a hotel in Ipswich for the night due to lack of trains down to Canterbury (Originally I was coming to Ipswich for the morning, then heading to Kent). Not entirely sure what I'm going to do after I've finished my appointments for the day.

If you wanted to meetup for coffee/drink in the evening, I've an empty diary beyond wanting to find fish n chips.

J
--

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2022, 08:45:31 am »
In the event it's not too late:
- Christchurch Mansion
- Ipswich museum
- walk along the Gipping as far as you like (88 bus back from Stowmarket or Needham Market)
- walk along the docks
- read the newspapers in the library
- look at county archives (I think, haven't yet investigated) in the Hold (it's along the docks by the college, look out got a sculpture '?')

and YHPM
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 05 October, 2022, 07:09:00 pm »

In case anyone is curious what happened.

There were 9. Yes 9. Foot passengers on the ferry last night. 6 of us ended up in the carpark together. Only one of them had no real plans. So I offered to let him share my taxi to Manningtree. He gave me £15 towards the £26 cost. So only £11 for me effectively.

Then I had a cup of tea, a sausage and bacon roll, and then sat by the bus stop for an hour until I could get a 0922 bus to Ipswich.

All in all, ignoring food. It cost me under £20 to get from Harwich to Ipswich m in a strike day.

Not bad. And the taxi meant I arrived just after 10am. About 2.5 hours.

J
--