Author Topic: Route Advice Please: York to Rothbury  (Read 1955 times)

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
Route Advice Please: York to Rothbury
« on: 17 October, 2022, 10:58:12 pm »
I'm looking to tap the collective knowledge of the North East contingent of the forum (or anyone else who knows the area well). I plan to ride from just west of York to Rothbury (Northumberland) this weekend to join up with a family holiday, although whether I actually ride is largely weather permitting. I wanted to see if there was any practical route which ticks the following boxes:

Fairly direct (don't need too many bonus kms)
Avoiding main roads
Singlespeed friendly (I'd like to avoid walking if possible)

From looking at the OS map, I appreciate what I'm asking appears to be the routing equivalent of threading the eye of a needle, so I'll gladly take direction from those who know the area better.

Re: Route Advice Please: York to Rothbury
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2022, 09:05:31 pm »
It's impossible to meet all your requirements, Mr B, but try this for starters. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41245978

« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2022, 10:38:27 pm »
I'd do pretty much Dean's route.
If you want a stop on the lines my friend Chloe has a shop n café at Aldin Lakes (124km)
We live at 130km but I'm away this week so sadly no offer of tea & cake.
It's a big ask to get to Rothbury single speed without walking.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2022, 09:01:47 am »
Thanks very much Deano, that looks ideal and thanks Fboab for the tip on the cafe. If the weather behaves, and I ride, I'll swap my pedals over, so I can wear SPD shoes for easier walking  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2022, 04:09:33 pm »
Can't think of owt you'd deffo need to walk - that's the easiest climb out of the Derwent I can think of, and one of the easiest climbs away from the Wear up Page Bank. Maybe the start of the Auckland Way, that is a bit of a kick with no run-up.

And cafes - if it's a weekend, the cafe at Capheaton is a classic, there's one in Matfen too and one at Bywell just after you cross the Tyne, plus a few other options along the lines. Or for the true audaxer, you can go off-route in Consett to get your McD's/garage fix.

« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2022, 05:19:53 pm »
As Dean says, Capheaton tearoom is a must do for all cyclists.
https://www.capheatontearoom.co.uk

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2022, 08:21:43 pm »
Cheers both, will have a think on the pedals/shoes and add in the cafes as waypoints. Plan is to ride this coming Monday, which at the moment is looking showery with a variable wind, and not too cold, which could be worse.

« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2022, 08:37:08 pm »
The classic cyclist stop in that area is the Impromptu Café at Elsdon . But it is a bit out your way. Maybe next time . Bet its fun going down hill from winter's gibbet on a fixed . Although it has been done on an ordinary bike (penny farthing).     
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2022, 10:08:04 pm »
Haway Colin, he did say not hilly. He can do that as a loop via Billsmoor.

« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2022, 11:05:49 pm »
Howay man Deano ,  I was hoping he could pick up my specs as I left them on the cheble when I was paying the gadgy for me scran on sundaa. Never mind it's a canny trip out on the surplus special . I think  VIA West Woodburn would be more fun .( NOT)

« Reply #10 on: 20 October, 2022, 01:26:04 pm »
The Capheaton tea room is only open at weekends.
Other options are the shop at  Scots Gap  which serves tea , cake's, sandwiches, pie's ect
Which is a quieter route and my preferred.
Kirkharle tea rooms is very pleasant and not far of route.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #11 on: 20 October, 2022, 07:33:43 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions Colin, always good to know in advance where is good to stop to eat... Maybe just one more question on the route, there are a couple of sections around Durham which are listed on RWGPS as unpaved, which look like former railways. Do you know if they're surfaced, or at least going to be rideable on 30mm road tyres this time of year?

« Reply #12 on: 20 October, 2022, 08:10:13 pm »
They're what we call 'the lines' and are indeed railway lines. All rideable on 23mm tyres, worst case you get a little grubby. I walk several of what we call "the notches" & that's with gears. There used to be a bridge and there isn't any more, and the sides are sometimes steep.
I'm fat and lazy though, it'll be fine for you....

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #13 on: 21 October, 2022, 08:05:23 am »
They're what we call 'the lines' and are indeed railway lines. All rideable on 23mm tyres, worst case you get a little grubby. I walk several of what we call "the notches" & that's with gears. There used to be a bridge and there isn't any more, and the sides are sometimes steep.
I'm fat and lazy though, it'll be fine for you....

Fantastic - thanks very much for the reassurance  :thumbsup: