Author Topic: Winter cycling; Alicante vs Tenerife vs Malaga  (Read 2460 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Winter cycling; Alicante vs Tenerife vs Malaga
« on: 01 November, 2022, 08:28:05 pm »
We'd like to go for another week cycling in January, preferably somewhere we can get a direct flight from Aberdeen, which pretty much reduces it to Alicante, Malaga or Tenerife.

I've read an article or 2 that suggests that Tenerife isn't that great if you don't have a hire car, so I'm looking for thoughts, experiences...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Winter cycling; Alicante vs Tenerife vs Malaga
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2022, 07:29:49 am »
We'd like to go for another week cycling in January, preferably somewhere we can get a direct flight from Aberdeen, which pretty much reduces it to Alicante, Malaga or Tenerife.

I've read an article or 2 that suggests that Tenerife isn't that great if you don't have a hire car, so I'm looking for thoughts, experiences...

I'd plump for Alicante (or to the north thereof - perhaps Altea or Calpe with a good mix of flat and hills) - I think you're right about Tenerife ... and as for Malaga - awful place, expensive and busy.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2022, 09:26:32 am »

Tenerife isn't great without a car  (and hire charges are ridiculous at the moment), although it depends on where you are staying as to whether there are suitable cycling roads within striking distance - and many bike hire place will deliver to hotels.

We're off to Fuerteventura in December.  Managed to get a half decent rental on a car - but still pricey.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2022, 11:53:44 am »
My wife and I did winter cycling in Spain for many years. We always preferred Majorca to anywhere else as it is much more cycle friendly. Both Alicante and Malaga are not.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2022, 12:35:12 pm »
Just for clarification I was meaning somewhere a short transfer distance away rather than actually in Alicante or Malaga themselves. Majorca is suboptimal as there's not a direct flight there in the winter, though I will bear in mind as a possible.

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2022, 03:39:32 pm »
Just for clarification I was meaning somewhere a short transfer distance away rather than actually in Alicante or Malaga themselves. Majorca is suboptimal as there's not a direct flight there in the winter, though I will bear in mind as a possible.

There is a train/tram hybrid thing that runs sort of along the coast N from Alicante (or there was a few years ago)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2022, 03:53:48 pm »
Well, we have decided on Altea cos it looks prettier than Calpe AND it's got a micro brewery :P

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2022, 04:18:27 pm »

There is a train/tram hybrid thing that runs sort of along the coast N from Alicante (or there was a few years ago)

Dr Google maps agrees

« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2022, 06:36:36 pm »
We have spent between 2-4 weeks of er year in Tenerife over the last 30 years visiting aging parents. I no longer cycle there.
The weather ne has always been bad but it he last twice we visited with bike I was scared silly coming downhill at 50+Kph with a gusting sidewind. Just not fun.

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2022, 06:41:16 pm »
Well, we have decided on Altea cos it looks prettier than Calpe AND it's got a micro brewery :P

Good choice - and your reasons are sound - but go to Calpe anyway as the massive rock is worth a look (and a climb if you fancy it)

« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2023, 10:07:21 am »
Oh thats great, I Just missing my winter cycling tour...

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #11 on: 18 January, 2023, 10:40:14 am »
I was in Tenerife over New Year and hired a bike 2 days. The first day rode up to 2200m the rim of Las Canadas the original volcanic crater. There was snow up there and when I arrived back at sea level after a tremendous descent was absolutely frozen due to lack of warm gear!
The next day I stayed below 600m and it was warm and sunny 25oC.
Don't know what average temperatures are like on the mainland in winter sorry.
Had no problems on public transport used the local buses all the time including from the airport and got a bus back up to Teide on the last day (used the top up card saved quite a bit and you only need one for 2 people). Bike hire gets fully booked make sure you have a bike before you arrive.
We stayed in Los Cristianos from where it's steep inland if you want to go up towards Teide. There are good rideable roads parallel to the motorway but only one other road up anywhere from the W side (a looooong climb from Guia de Isora) but rewarding). There is one very nice quiet high road to Guimar the TF-28 but no way back along the coast you have to retrace to Granadilla de Abona.