Author Topic: New chief executive for British Cycling  (Read 2231 times)

New chief executive for British Cycling
« on: 13 April, 2023, 01:05:33 pm »
Ex rugby league supremo, Jon Dutton

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/65260135

Re: New chief executive for British Cycling
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2023, 01:31:35 pm »
I find the 'business-speak' disconcerting. 

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2023, 03:13:26 pm »
Yep, plenty of reason to not sign up right there

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2023, 03:18:10 pm »
I wonder whether its better to have as a CEO a long time cyclist who knows the sport or an experienced administrator but knows little about cycling?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2023, 03:35:28 pm »
It went downhill after Jim Henry left as far as supporting amateur racing.

« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2023, 03:41:53 pm »
I wonder whether its better to have as a CEO a long time cyclist who knows the sport or an experienced administrator but knows little about cycling?

It’s a fair question but I always return to the point of the orgs. The endless quest for growth is an entirely capitalist architecture. It misses the point that it’s fine for some people to enjoy an activity and equally for others to not take part, because the aim is to grow participation, revenue etc. That objective ALWAYS compromises things for ordinary participants. I can run or cycle without a license to practise from BC or EA. In that sense, CTC (or whatever it’s now called) does far more for the everyday.

This is a general whines about sports organisation and capitalism tbh, it’s not cycling or running specific.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2023, 04:21:03 pm »
This is a general whines about sports organisation and capitalism tbh, it’s not cycling or running specific.
No less valid for that.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2023, 05:38:19 pm »
if he's going to run BC like RL has been run over the last 20 years then BC is fucked...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2023, 05:51:31 pm »
It went downhill after Jim Henry left as far as supporting amateur racing.

Did it? Couldn't stand the guy (I was on the National Pursuit Squad at the time).

He didn't treat Tony Doyle particularly well, one of the reasons he turned Professional.

Apologies - I think I refer to his time as "Director of Racing" rather than CEO

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2023, 08:24:07 pm »
Tony Dolye turned Pro a little bit earlier than expected because Sean Yates was picked for the Olympics I thought. Which did upset some people but choices have to be made I guess. I'm not saying the national team management was better then, it certainly wasn't but the overall focus moved on from grass roots to win Olympic medals at any cost.

PS I was aware you were on the pursuit squad Ian, I recognised your name as soon as I saw first you post on this forum.  :thumbsup:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #10 on: 13 April, 2023, 10:48:09 pm »
Thanks.

I never got on with Jim Hendry, probably one of the nails in my international aspirations coffin at the time  ;D (Willi Moore, pursuit squad manager, on the other hand was a great guy).

Tony Doyle was National Individual Pursuit Champ at the time. He rode in the Olympic Team Pursuit but the Individual place was given to Sean Yates. Doyle turned pro as a protest and won the world title later in the year. I seem to remember him commenting at the time something a long the lines that his world title was due to him not the system.