Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1615473 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10025 on: 25 May, 2018, 10:29:06 am »
Re London, I was waiting with a bunch of people to board the Jubilee line at London Bridge yesterday. Commuters getting off and then, just as they were done and the way to board clear, a woman just goes straight through the middle of us and onto the train first. I think she must have been laser guided, she somehow managed to do without knocking anyone. I didn't know whether to be annoyed or impressed.

I was running happy though, arrived at LB to see a massive backup and closed tube gates, so assumed I'd be late. Then as I waited, I saw one of the closed gates at the end randomly flip to open. Zoom. No idea why they were holding people, the minion was too bored to explain, but the platforms weren't even busy.

On the way back some middle-aged bloke in suit just pushed through as we tried to get off the tube. He's now nailed to the platform wall at Victoria as a salutary message to others. Some people are a bit mental. Others a lot so.

I don't think London is rude, it's just what it takes to make a large city work. I was amused a while back at beer thing with the blokes from Northern Monk, who were determined to shake every attendee's hand and do a proper meet and greet. There were about 400 people...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10026 on: 05 June, 2018, 02:54:33 pm »
this is already not fucking going well.

How hard can it be, Ely to Edinburgh, change at Peterborough to get on the ECML.

Edinburgh train cancelled. I'm now sat at Doncaster waiting for the next train to Aberdeen
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10027 on: 05 June, 2018, 03:04:07 pm »
this is already not fucking going well.

How hard can it be, Ely to Edinburgh, change at Peterborough to get on the ECML.

Edinburgh train cancelled. I'm now sat at Doncaster waiting for the next train to Aberdeen
It would appear that running a train service is quite difficult and when you add the need for making a profit out of it, the task appears to become impossible. At least based on the evidence of the UK rail network.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

« Reply #10028 on: 05 June, 2018, 03:45:02 pm »
And standing room only on the replacement train.

« Reply #10029 on: 05 June, 2018, 03:54:04 pm »
 :(    This sort of thing makes me reluctant to arrange cycling trips with a rail component in them.   Hopefully my trip to Oxford with a loaded touring bike on Thursday will be uneventful.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

« Reply #10030 on: 05 June, 2018, 05:36:52 pm »
I was thinking about using the train up to Kirkby Stephen later this year rather than drive to start my tour.

Having been sat on the floor from Doncaster and likely as far as Edinburgh, I may think again.  The Green Beast is at least reliable.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10031 on: 05 June, 2018, 06:00:10 pm »
Fayling Grayling, aka the Twat Controller :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10032 on: 05 June, 2018, 08:06:12 pm »
:(    This sort of thing makes me reluctant to arrange cycling trips with a rail component in them.   Hopefully my trip to Oxford with a loaded touring bike on Thursday will be uneventful.

I'm feeling a bit like that, after depleting the reserves of train karma on Saturday...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10033 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:29:07 pm »
Trying to order something from Spa but can't, because their 3D Secure connection is b0rked.  They're going to lose a lot of business.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #10034 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:40:08 pm »
I cancelled the bloody thing on all my cards, the banks didn't seem to mind. I doubt I was the first to complain about being told to remember the 2nd, 3rd, and final letter of the password I've forgotten. They're just coaching people to write down their passwords.

In other news, our GP surgery had cancelled the open surgery system (because it was too popular, erm) but now you can book appointments online. Super, let me try that. Do I have an invite letter from the practice with a secret code? Erm, no. Game over.

I suppose that spares me the IT horrors that undoubtedly would have awaited. Still, I am sure they would pale into insignificance compared to an interaction with the average surgery receptionist who I now have to phone.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10035 on: 06 June, 2018, 02:22:29 pm »
I just had a lovely phone call from someone pertaining to be from my electricity company where they refused to prove they were from my electricity company by telling me any of my account details, or even tell me why they were calling.  I hung up.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10036 on: 06 June, 2018, 02:36:10 pm »
The lights are going out in five, four, three, two, one...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10037 on: 06 June, 2018, 02:54:41 pm »
I just had a lovely phone call from someone pertaining to be from my electricity company where they refused to prove they were from my electricity company by telling me any of my account details, or even tell me why they were calling.  I hung up.
I've had that and they can't seem to understand that as it is they that called you, you authenticating who you are is rather pointless if they can't or won't authenticate who they are.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #10038 on: 06 June, 2018, 03:44:46 pm »
If anyone phones me I simply tell them I'd love to answer. But, you know, GDPR.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10039 on: 07 June, 2018, 08:08:44 am »
If anyone phones me I simply tell them I'd love to answer. But, you know, GDPR.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10040 on: 07 June, 2018, 07:44:10 pm »
Electric (not induction) hobs.
They are shit.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

« Reply #10041 on: 07 June, 2018, 09:30:12 pm »
^^^^^ yes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10042 on: 08 June, 2018, 01:38:27 am »
Mum ditched hers in the mid 70's when we had gas installed. I like gas...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10043 on: 08 June, 2018, 09:25:03 am »
well, it would seem that the first casualty of Gavin's1 announced GRATE CULL OF MANAGEMENT is.. Gavin. But they've already announced that they are looking for a replacement, which doesn't seem to be in the spirit of reducing head count  >:(

1. Gavin Patterson, CEO and heartthrob (apparently) of BT Group.

ian

« Reply #10044 on: 08 June, 2018, 10:12:02 am »
well, it would seem that the first casualty of Gavin's1 announced GRATE CULL OF MANAGEMENT is.. Gavin. But they've already announced that they are looking for a replacement, which doesn't seem to be in the spirit of reducing head count  >:(

I wouldn't worry, unlike most, he'll collect a massive payoff and won't have trouble walking into a similar lucrative boardroom position should he wish. If doesn't just want to buy a yacht and cruise the Caribbean. In the unlikely event he becomes short of cash, a couple of non-exec board positions will be on hand.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10045 on: 08 June, 2018, 10:21:57 am »

I wouldn't worry, unlike most, he'll collect a massive payoff and won't have trouble walking into a similar lucrative boardroom position should he wish. If doesn't just want to buy a yacht and cruise the Caribbean. In the unlikely event he becomes short of cash, a couple of non-exec board positions will be on hand.
Strangely, I’m not worried about his future, even though he lost a £4m bonus a couple of years ago on the back of the Italian Job. The City have been slow to respond to the news though it was obviously their calls that resulted in his departure. Possibly I suspect, because the chairman has said that The board support the strategy of the man they’ve just ousted. Time will tell I suppose.
Moving on, I’m hoping we’ll get an engineer this time because I think we’ve had enough of marketeers and accountants. I’m not holding my breath though.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10046 on: 09 June, 2018, 02:24:45 pm »
Twatting neighbour has lit a bonfire.  Washing going back in the machine due to ash appliqué.

Not a sorry, not a yes I'll be more thoughtful next time when asked.  Just "Well I've finished now and I can't put it out".

Quote from: MrsTween
Some people are just total piss flaps aren't they.

However, I took his registration and looked him up and he has no MOT.  So I nipped out with a camera to see if I could get a shot of him leaving (on private land at the mo).  Someone must be smiling down at me today, there's two coppers just out of his sight dealing with a Scoobydoo they've pulled over.  Now they know too.....  :demon: ;D
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10047 on: 09 June, 2018, 05:17:10 pm »
^^^Bloke next door to us 30 yrs ago used to barbecue sardines about 10' from our washing whirligig. No soot or ash but darling, I do love your new perfume.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10048 on: 10 June, 2018, 07:20:21 pm »
I am getting a cold.  This is just what is called for when I have to spend most of Wednesday travelling to a far-flung corner of the Empire.  Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10049 on: 10 June, 2018, 08:13:26 pm »
I don't think he's lit another, I think it's the same one still smouldering.  All the same, garden a no go zone with wet hair again tonight.

May the fleas of 1000 camels infest his arsehole.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.