Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 344921 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2875 on: 10 April, 2024, 10:54:03 pm »
Took the advantage of a socking great tailwind and light Sunday morning traffic to nick the tile that only has the A303 on it by Popham Services

That sounds like the tile which can also be bagged by going to the western extremity of the grounds of Basingstoke crematorium.

That's the one.  Though when I looked, the Crem didn't seem to quite make it.  Anyway, it's bagged now, as were three more isolated ones on the way back from Oxford today - I am running out of options to add squares on my Oxford commutes.  In a few weeks time, when things have dried up, I will pick up those that require gravel tracks.  Including Hackwood Park, which will immediately turn my 12 x 12 into a 17 x 17 or 18 x 18.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2876 on: 11 April, 2024, 10:17:36 am »
After squinting at maps and satellite images, I still wasn't sure about the crem, but went there anyway, and leaned over the fence with my arm outstretched clutching my garmin, to give me the best chance of crossing the tile boundary. 

Which reminds me of two other tiles which involved leaning with an outstretched arm, but in these cases with waves lapping over the toes of my boots.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2877 on: 11 April, 2024, 11:40:33 am »
Took the advantage of a socking great tailwind and light Sunday morning traffic to nick the tile that only has the A303 on it by Popham Services

That sounds like the tile which can also be bagged by going to the western extremity of the grounds of Basingstoke crematorium.

That's the one.  Though when I looked, the Crem didn't seem to quite make it.  Anyway, it's bagged now, as were three more isolated ones on the way back from Oxford today - I am running out of options to add squares on my Oxford commutes.  In a few weeks time, when things have dried up, I will pick up those that require gravel tracks.  Including Hackwood Park, which will immediately turn my 12 x 12 into a 17 x 17 or 18 x 18.
When I did that one it was straight along the A303 at 3am, as part of an overnight dynamo shakedown ride from London at sunset to Stonehenge at sunrise. All other rides in the area came later.

« Reply #2878 on: 12 April, 2024, 10:34:02 pm »
I take it I’m not the only one who has entered an event with tile-bagging
 in-mind!?

« Reply #2879 on: 14 April, 2024, 07:07:52 pm »
I take it I’m not the only one who has entered an event with tile-bagging
 in-mind!?

…done did it :D