Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512418 times)

Shoping in S&M, a packet of organic free range chicken thighs caught my eye , especially as they were marked down .    Handed them in at the checkout & was putting them into my bag, when a vile smell assailed my nostrils.... sniff, sniff .....  :sick:     Can you just take those off please.

Potato  & chorizo scramble tonight then.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I stopped at the Co-op in Malmesbury yesterday, about 45km from home, and got a piece of carrot cake and a sandwich. I wasn't really hungry but I figured I might be before getting home and there'd be nowhere else. So I ate the carrot cake and put the sandwich in my saddlebag. Of course I wasn't hungry at all till I got home, then the instant I walked in the door, I was ravenous; the strange psychology of food, cycling and home. So I had some supper then remembered the sandwich. A Co-op sandwich eaten to get you home is a wonderful thing but the same sandwich eaten once you're already home is truly disgusting.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I read a feature in the Jewish Chronicle yesterday.

The author claims she can't bake a cake but what she is really saying is that she is so sh*t scared of what others might think of her baking that she is too scared to try.

How sad!

I don't think I've ever seen anyone get sniffy or snobby about CAIK.

The social set must be rather different from the cycling circles in which I move, which seem mostly like gannets circling fishing nets.

First World problems, I suppose.
I remember my grandmother telling a story about what I think was a cake-baking competition*.  And there's the Great British Bake-off?

*(one woman was wandering around making snide comments about other women's cakes: when her cake was cut open it was found that the fruit had all sunk to the bottom. Granny was not a vindictive lady in the slightest bit I think that she thought that the woman had got what she deserved!)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Schadenfreude or what?

I think it's sad people are so judgemental.

Cudzoziemiec

Stopped at a Costa-like called Coffee Republic on Sunday. I think it might be a chain run by the Co-op; it was in the Co-op in Highworth (just north of Swindon) and staffed by people in Co-op uniform. They had the usual three choices of cup sizes. The largest had a typically silly name, grandioso or something. The middle one was called regular. And the smallest was tall. So regular was larger, both wider and taller, than tall.  ??? Anyway I had a "tall" cup of tea and it was, of course, as big as any mug of tea you'd ever have at home.

Cudzoziemiec

The Guardia n has a big piece about the rise of the sandwich. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/24/how-the-sandwich-consumed-britain It includes this:
People in the industry talk about seminal new combinations – Pret’s crayfish and rocket; M&S’s Wensleydale and carrot chutney – like Peter Brook’s Midsummer Night Dream, or Zeffirelli’s Romeo and Juliet.
How the fuck is cheese and chutney in any way seminal? But then at the end they do say:
The sandwich is a national pastime of modest expectations, remorselessly fulfilled.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The "rise of the sandwich" (sic) is just a codename for the rediscovery of the tedium of lettuce.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
[Insert crack about 9/10 of the iceberg here.]
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

None of these idiots have witnessed The Jesus Sandwich. It's almost too awesome.

Pret's crayfish and rocket has been replaced by crayfish and avocado; same price, a lot less crayfish - avocado is bulkier than rocket  >:(

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
None of these idiots have witnessed The Jesus Sandwich. It's almost too awesome.

Go on...?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Pret's crayfish and rocket has been replaced by crayfish and avocado; same price, a lot less crayfish - avocado is bulkier than rocket  >:(

Being pancreatically challenged, I prefer the crayfish and avocado, no bread option. Also called a salad. Tends to be crayfishfully sufficient in my experience.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
A few months ago I attended a wine tasting at our local cricket club.

Whilst there I got chatting to the guy who chose the wines, and an idea was mooted regarding a food and wine pairing evening.

Last night was the night that idea became reality. Plan, shop, prepare, cook and serve 3 courses for 42 people. Lots of hard work but it made for a great evening.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Go on...?

Three days after you've eaten it, it rises again.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

Go on...?

I'm sure I've documented it, but it's the best sandwich ever, and quite frankly if God was going to make anything, it would be this. Son of God? Pah, Sandwich of God. He did, however, on the seventh day decide to the keep and eat the sandwich for himself.

Anyway, you need three slices of bread. Nothing fancy. One pie of your choice. Freshly cooked chips and mushy peas. Gravy (made in the gravy belt). Butter the bread and assemble the sandwich. On the bottom deck goes the pie and enough gravy to keep everything together when you bite. On the upper deck goes chips and mushy peas (with a liberal helping of condiments) and then squoosh the entire thing down (just enough pressure to pop the pie but not squish out any innards).

We discovered this as students because we lived next door but one or two to a chippy and they supplied all the ingredients and it just seemed natural to combine them.

dim

Go on...?

I'm sure I've documented it, but it's the best sandwich ever, and quite frankly if God was going to make anything, it would be this. Son of God? Pah, Sandwich of God. He did, however, on the seventh day decide to the keep and eat the sandwich for himself.

Anyway, you need three slices of bread. Nothing fancy. One pie of your choice. Freshly cooked chips and mushy peas. Gravy (made in the gravy belt). Butter the bread and assemble the sandwich. On the bottom deck goes the pie and enough gravy to keep everything together when you bite. On the upper deck goes chips and mushy peas (with a liberal helping of condiments) and then squoosh the entire thing down (just enough pressure to pop the pie but not squish out any innards).

We discovered this as students because we lived next door but one or two to a chippy and they supplied all the ingredients and it just seemed natural to combine them.

reminds me of when I lived in South Africa, I used to frequently buy a Dagwood sandwich (served with fries), from our local roadhouse (a drive-inn restaurant where you are served and eat in your car):

and as students, a bunny chow was a staple diet .... curry served in 1/3 of a loaf of hollowed out bread:

and speaking of which .... it's time to make biltong (South African beef jerkey) .... I make a really good version, as I use ribeye steak:

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The 'venue with a menu' that Brent Cyclists previously used for its December social meal has changed from being a Thai restaurant to a 'grill'.
Several Brent Cyclist are vegan and more are veggie.
The sample menu had scant, dull vegetarian options, none of which are vegan-friendly.
I am not impressed.
We are eating elsewhere, at wagamama.
Which will be noisy.
But you can't have it all.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I have just found a small piece of meat in my lamb cowl.   I was beginning to wonder.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

I went to Mr Sainsbury's oligopolic emporium of nourishment. I bought four (4) items and because I believe in a balanced diet, they covered all the basic food groups: crisps (salty stuff), caramel shortcake (baked stuff), tiramisu (sugary stuff), milk (white stuff). The receipt indicates only the crisps were subject to VAT. Why are VAT regulations on food so silly?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Why are VAT regulations on food so silly?

To keep programmes like QI in business with stories about Jaffa Cakes not being cakes. Or something.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

Jaffa Cakes are the perfectly formed turds of the choco-hippo. Everyone knows that.

I made chilli jam. It's HOT. Supermarket chillies are so random, sometimes you put 12 in and it blows your head of and sometime 20 and its insipid.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Nah, we have a Little Waitrose (note capital L) in the middle of Bristle. Mostly patronized by students. I'm not sure what Sainsbury's call theirs, despite having one just down the road from home.

It’s like a Tardis. You approach and enter, thinking “they’ll never have what I want”. Then there’s just more and more of it. So much that it’s a struggle to find the way out.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Oh, and a random thing.

I bought a slice of the best Bakewell in the world (Hobbs House) and was really looking forward to it to cheer me up.

The bastard thieving terminator cat got there first.  >:( >:(
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Heh
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.