Author Topic: Torn gastrocnemius, not ruptured Achilles tendon  (Read 17027 times)

Re: Ruptured Achilles tendon
« Reply #50 on: 26 August, 2014, 06:12:40 pm »
Sorry to hear this Wow - but at least you are now on the right lines for proper assessment and treatment. When I read your post last night in which you mentioned fatigue, it reminded of how tired I felt for a bit after breaking my ankle. I think it is the combination of pain, energy being diverted for inflammatory responses etc.

The good news is that I found the plastic 2-part cast to be incredibly effective, if it’s deemed appropriate for you - I take it that’s what they mean by a lighter cast? Firstly, it completely takes virtually all the workload away from your foot by transferring all the walking loads to your calf. You barely register the weight on your foot or ankle at all. This solves a large part of the pain problem as well as allowing you to be much more mobile. Very good design - my heel bone was in complete agony at the slightest touch of the floor or anything that involved a pull on the Achilles, yet with the cast on, I was able to walk at normal speed, normal distances.

Hope it starts to heal soon.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #51 on: 26 August, 2014, 06:31:00 pm »
Underarm crutches are contraindicated because of the likelihood of damage to structures in the axilla, I seem to remember.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #52 on: 26 August, 2014, 06:57:16 pm »
Can you beg/borrow/steal a toilet frame to help launch you to standing after sitting down doing your business?
It's rather less wobbly than crutches.

Get lots of wet wipes for both your paws and your Dirty Bits.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #53 on: 26 August, 2014, 07:02:38 pm »
Good point. I'll see what can be done.

Wet wipes are easy.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #54 on: 26 August, 2014, 07:21:23 pm »
Wet wipes are easy.

Although you're not supposed to flush 'em. They don't disintegrate in the same way bog roll does.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #55 on: 26 August, 2014, 07:41:28 pm »
Wet wipes are easy.

Although you're not supposed to flush 'em. They don't disintegrate in the same way bog roll does.

We have a plentiful supply of dog shit bags.

Chris S

« Reply #56 on: 26 August, 2014, 07:49:25 pm »
Wet wipes are easy.

We have a plentiful supply of dog shit bags.

Niiiice!  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 26 August, 2014, 10:39:06 pm »
Good point. I'll see what can be done.

Wet wipes are easy.

Anybody with Little Sticky (grand)Children should have a plentiful supply of wet wipes.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #58 on: 26 August, 2014, 11:17:17 pm »
Wowsa, sounds a bummer mate. Crutches are a right pain to start with, but you get good on them fairly quickly - you don't have a choice! Losing weight is hardly a matter of a moment, or even a month or two, so isn't the answer to your current predicament, but I suspect that your body is telling you it's time to lighten up a bit! Mine too... Some restful moments with some decent music and a beer or three are obviously called for, but do think about the benefits of there being a little less of you. And stay positive! GWS, my friend.

« Reply #59 on: 27 August, 2014, 09:08:35 am »
Under arm crutches are lethal when going down stairs. It's really, really important to remember to put the crutches on the next lower step *before* stepping down . . .

We need advice from the resident OT on how to deal with toilet matters, I think.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #60 on: 27 August, 2014, 09:15:46 am »
I have decamped to our granny annexe where it it posdible to reach the wash basin from the bog seat. Finish wiping, remain seated, wash hands, adjust dress. No need to touch the crutches with crappy hands.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #61 on: 27 August, 2014, 01:47:25 pm »
Under arm crutches are lethal when going down stairs. It's really, really important to remember to put the crutches on the next lower step *before* stepping down . . .

Stairs are best negotiated using handrails (if available) or sitting tactics, at least until your crutch skills are well developed.  (DAHIKT)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 27 August, 2014, 01:49:00 pm »
I have decamped to our granny annexe where it it posdible to reach the wash basin from the bog seat. Finish wiping, remain seated, wash hands, adjust dress. No need to touch the crutches with crappy hands.

All toilets should have a basin within reach of the bog seat, IMHO.

« Reply #63 on: 27 August, 2014, 01:53:12 pm »

And a pot plant
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #64 on: 27 August, 2014, 02:25:50 pm »

And a pot plant
and some roll-up papers?
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #65 on: 28 August, 2014, 12:43:37 pm »
Back from the hospital. Consultant says it's not my Achilles, but soft tissue damage higher up. He wrote about a muscle of some sort but I can't remember what it was called. The plaster has been taken off and I have a wonderful black almost-knee-length boot with lots of velcro, size 12. Very Goth. I can put weight on this and it's a lot easier to get about.

He has ordered ab ultrasound appointment and another at the trauma clinic on Friday next week at 11.20.

I'm quite relieved by this news. Muscles sound a lot less serious than Achilles tendons.

Edit: gastrocnemius was the word he wrote down and I couldn't remember.

simonp

« Reply #66 on: 28 August, 2014, 03:16:06 pm »
I'm glad to hear it's not your Achilles tendon, Wow. Best wishes for a smooth recovery.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #67 on: 28 August, 2014, 03:19:53 pm »
Imagine the smirks in A&E when Achilles was brought in with an injury to his Achilles Heel!

A&E receptionist - "So, you've got a spear in your Achilles Heel have you?  Name?"
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #68 on: 28 August, 2014, 04:18:38 pm »
http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/calf-muscle-tears

gives an idea of how long these things take to heal.

My worry is that it's a grade 3 tear. The test done by the nurse on Tuesday, in which she pinched my calf muscles to see how my foot moved, and it didn't, implies that there's no link between the muscle and my heel. It could be as long as 4 months.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #69 on: 28 August, 2014, 05:37:02 pm »
hmm, my reaction is the same as Ian, wincing - it's an injury i dread....
I've been told by a physio when your achilles actually goes it makes a loud bang  ??? :sick: :o

I've had a calf muscle tear, twice (same place) at the beginning of this year, although mine was almost certainly only grade 1. I could still walk, albeit limping, after it, I could cycle after about 3 days and felt fully recovered after about 2 weeks, although apparently the scar is not mature till 6 weeks.

When I did it it felt like a sharp 'flick' against the skin, not sure if that's what yours was like.

Apparently (again, according to a physio) the achilles does actually go quite far up, as i understand it further than the diagram at the start of the thread indicates, and it's thicker at the top.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #70 on: 30 August, 2014, 05:51:24 pm »
OK, we are open for visitors! I can't say that the cycling round here is up to much, but we are mercifully close to lots of stations, Prittlewell (50-something minutes form Lpoo St) being the most convenient, but closed Sundays. Southend Vic next nearest, also from Lpoo St. Fench St to Southend Central (about a mile away) is cheaper by some margin. Also, the trains are air-conditioned but the direct routes go through Basildon.

I think this is going to be a long haul. I have been Not Resting today, as my Aunt Phyllis, 95 and not at all ashen-faced as a rule, was admitted to hospital this morning. I have walked a total of about 200 yards, perhaps a little more, from car to ward, ward to car, and into Phyllis's house to collect a few essentials in case they keep her in. I was hoping that I would have been sufficiently mobile in a little over a fortnight to have been able to teach, but I think it might be unwise.

Calf strain may be minor or very severe. Your physiotherapist will grade the injury accordingly:

Grade 1:

The muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibres. Recovery takes approximately 2 to 4 weeks if you do all the right things.

Grade 2:

There is partial tearing of muscle fibres. Full recovery takes approximately 4 to 8 weeks with good rehabilitation.

Grade 3:

This is the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibres in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in some instances, surgery may be needed.

From http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/calf-muscle-tears

Given that it's almost a fortnight since I did this, and there is no real sign of any improvement, I think I can certainly rule out 1. above. If it had been 2. I would have thought that there would have been some sign of improvement by now, however small. Given that there was apparently no movement of my left foot when the A & E nurse did the pinch-the-calf-muscle test and thought I had ruptured my Achilles, it seems distinctly possible that it's 3.

All, presumably, will be revealed when I have my ultrasound, which hopefully will be before Friday's trauma clinic appointment.

Bollocks.

« Reply #71 on: 30 August, 2014, 07:47:50 pm »
If its any consolation WB our ride leader at Mildenhall had a very nice and tidy scar down at heel and knows exactly what you are going through. He is clearly able to trundle along quite nicely on his home grown recumbent. Must be doubly frustrating with your Aunt being ill.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #72 on: 03 September, 2014, 11:24:11 am »
Still waiting for an ultrasound. I phoned the hospital yesterday and the earliest I am likely to get an appointment is next Tuesday. I did tell them that I live nearby and can often turn up at short notice if anyone else cancels.

I have been taking the occasional cocodamol, with the usual side effects.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #73 on: 03 September, 2014, 12:03:02 pm »
I have just phoned a school or two. The first of these, in which the parents pay me directly, is the most difficult if I'm absent because it's an after-school club in a primary school. If I'm not there, there's no-one else. My only other after-school club is at a secondary school, from which the kids normally go home without parental supervision.

I had been scheduled to start teaching on 16th September. However, it's a long term and I can delay until 30th September and still fit 10 weeks in. That gives me 6 weeks after injuring myself before I need worry about doing any work. Thanks to the Finance Officer at my Weds. afternoon school for that suggestion! :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #74 on: 05 September, 2014, 12:13:07 pm »
Fracture clinic appointment this morning.

Nothing much to report. Another appointment in 3 weeks, or a.s.a.p. after my ultrasound, whenever that is. The doc told me that I could start removing my support boot every so often and flex my joints.

My leg is definitely improving, but it's still very swollen and, at times, quite painful.

No prospective date set yet for going for a walk, let alone getting on a bike.