Author Topic: Clarkson suspended; no Top Gear this weekend  (Read 48496 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Clarkson suspended; no Top Gear this weekend
« Reply #350 on: 13 June, 2016, 09:54:34 pm »
The interaction between Matt LeBlanc and the other presenters is electric ...... but in the same way that my Fridge is electric and a Corby Trouser Press is electric.

It genuinely feels like a humourless spoof.

It makes Fifth Gear seem good (which is the worst thing I can say about any motoring program).

Clarkson, despite his faults, is a funny writer.

The old top gear was like a kind of pantomine with jokes from the Daily Mail

This one lacks even the puddle deep character interaction of the original.  They just say lines.

The only improvement is the complete lack of Clarkson

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #351 on: 14 June, 2016, 11:56:59 am »
The interaction between Matt LeBlanc and the other presenters is electric ...... but in the same way that my Fridge is electric and a Corby Trouser Press is electric.

It genuinely feels like a humourless spoof.

It makes Fifth Gear seem good (which is the worst thing I can say about any motoring program).

Clarkson, despite his faults, is a funny writer.

The old top gear was like a kind of pantomine with jokes from the Daily Mail

This one lacks even the puddle deep character interaction of the original.  They just say lines.

The only improvement is the complete lack of Clarkson

Top Gear WAS Clarkson.  Therein lies the problem for the BBC.

I challenge anyone to watch this Chris Goffey review of a Nissan Sunny without sobbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY32793qoDE
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #352 on: 04 July, 2016, 03:39:56 pm »
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #353 on: 04 July, 2016, 03:56:42 pm »
Well that didn't last long

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36707266

No... but it was still too long.

I think I'll climb onto a box, just so I can step down as well.  It's the trendy thing to do at the moment.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #354 on: 04 July, 2016, 04:41:36 pm »
Well that didn't last long

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36707266

Nothing to do with yesterday's news, oh no siree, bob...  <HIGNFY> Allegedly. </HIGNFY>

Quote from: El Telegraph
3 JULY 2016 • 6:41PM

The BBC is to stand by Chris Evans, despite claims that he is to be questioned by police over historic sex assault allegations, with the presenter continuing to host his Radio 2 breakfast show this week.

The Sun on Sunday claimed that the Top Gear presenter will be quizzed by Metropolitan Police detectives “in the coming days” over claims that he had repeatedly exposed himself to a former work colleague, and grabbed her breasts.

Evans denies the claims, and said in May, when the allegations first surfaced, that they amounted to a “witch hunt”. He added: “All these bullying claims and other allegations are just ridiculous.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/03/bbc-stands-by-chris-evans-as-presenter-faces-police-questioning/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #355 on: 04 July, 2016, 06:11:44 pm »
Remember ages ago, when he did the Virgin breakfast show with Johnny Revel and Holly and Dan and  Jamie Studentbloke, and one morning it was just him and the other ones had all left and never came back and nobody ever said why and they were never mentioned again?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #356 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:33:49 pm »
Remember ages ago, when he did the Virgin breakfast show with Johnny Revel and Holly and Dan and  Jamie Studentbloke, and one morning it was just him and the other ones had all left and never came back and nobody ever said why and they were never mentioned again?
No. Please tell more. :P :demon:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #357 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:55:07 pm »
That's about it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #358 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:04:15 pm »
No. Please tell more. :P :demon:
That's about it.
That's about it.

Ah... one of those dreaded Noodle Incidents.  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #359 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:40:26 pm »

Yes.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #360 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:46:53 pm »

They probably went down the pub, had a skinful, concluded Evans was an S-T and decided to resign en masee.  The Mgt paid them to keep quiet about it because they didn't want the public to know that Evans was an S-T.
</Stan's_Advocaat>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #361 on: 04 July, 2016, 10:44:17 pm »

They probably went down the pub, had a skinful, concluded Evans was an S-T and decided to resign en masee.  The Mgt paid them to keep quiet about it because they didn't want the public to know that Evans was an S-T.
</Stan's_Advocaat>

<off topic> Yeah, Advocaat is verily the work of Stan.  :sick: </off-topic>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #362 on: 05 July, 2016, 10:30:39 am »
Dissing advocaat will bring down the wrath of our resident Tidy-Haired Thought Leader on your miserable donkey, y'know.

« Reply #363 on: 05 July, 2016, 10:58:53 am »
 :P

« Reply #364 on: 05 July, 2016, 11:03:36 am »
Some say that Jeremy Clarkson finds Chris Evans quitting Top Gear most amusing...

And that he finds rumours of the BBC showing Grand Tour after it has been broadcast on Amazon even more so.

All we know is...

He's pi55ing himself laughing.

« Reply #365 on: 18 November, 2016, 09:31:16 pm »
I've just watched the first episode of Grand Tour.

Let's just say there will be a few damp copies of The Guardian on BBC top corridor tonight...

« Reply #366 on: 18 November, 2016, 10:56:56 pm »
I enjoyed the grand tour.
I expect Carol Vorderman is now being googled around the world.

« Reply #367 on: 19 November, 2016, 01:48:37 pm »
Friend who writes for arstechnica wrote a glowing review noting the high production values, so I watched a bit. Jeeze, the camera doesn't love them - they look like they've been enjoying some boozy lunches. HD is not kind to them.

« Reply #368 on: 19 November, 2016, 02:28:04 pm »
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #369 on: 19 November, 2016, 02:55:42 pm »
I watched the first episode last night and had a really hard time getting through the first 15 minutes of nothing but smug self-congratulation. I persevered to discover the formula was basically the same - here's a comparison of unattainable cars we're going to photographically masturbate over and praise equally, interspersed with some lazy stereotyping of something or someone or other. It was entertainingly presented the first few dozen times years ago, but I doubt I'll be watching a lot more.

« Reply #370 on: 19 November, 2016, 03:00:51 pm »
Not sure what happened, but did three boorish bell ends get in some cars and drive them around a bit?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #371 on: 19 November, 2016, 08:00:19 pm »
Please don't tell me the BBC are going to pay money to buy the show?  Not having Clarkson on TV (except for all those Amazon adverts) was rather pleasant.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #372 on: 19 November, 2016, 08:11:52 pm »
Please don't tell me the BBC are going to pay money to buy the show?  Not having Clarkson on TV (except for all those Amazon adverts) was rather pleasant.

Give it about eighteen months and it'll be on Dave.

« Reply #373 on: 19 November, 2016, 09:26:32 pm »

Apparently so.

Incidentally the new Ebola circuit looked a lot like RAF Wroughton to me, so you might be able to pop across to watch the filming!

« Reply #374 on: 19 November, 2016, 09:55:24 pm »

Apparently so.

Incidentally the new Ebola circuit looked a lot like RAF Wroughton to me, so you might be able to pop across to watch the filming!

Confirmed:

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-where-the-grand-tours-brand-new-test-track-is-l-1789134294