Author Topic: Audax Fixed gear - Build or Buy?  (Read 15517 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Audax Fixed gear - Build or Buy?
« Reply #25 on: 17 May, 2015, 10:30:21 pm »
it looks like a good bike, as long as it fits well

Chris N

« Reply #26 on: 18 May, 2015, 09:21:20 am »
Seems like a reasonable spec - though £600 not £500.  Shame to lose the 28mm tyres - suggests that clearances are a little tight.  New wheels and brakes would be a good first upgrade.

« Reply #27 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:02:28 am »
Seems like a reasonable spec - though £600 not £500.  Shame to lose the 28mm tyres - suggests that clearances are a little tight.  New wheels and brakes would be a good first upgrade.

I've never been in a bike shop that uses Madison and not had a 20% discount thrown at me within minutes of walking in.

And yeah, that's the thing, I'd prefer 28s and guards.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 18 May, 2015, 11:04:17 am »
Sounds like they've come back round to the Skyline/Ridgeback Solo spec.  I found my Solo an excellent commuter, and day rider (especially once I'd fitted the S3X ;) ).  Can't comment on audax, but I imagine it'd be pretty good.  With Reynolds 520, it's a tad lighter than the Flyer, but rides comfortably.  Biggest issue was the black spokes, which were crap.  I see the Flyer isn't afflicted with that.
Getting there...

Chris N

« Reply #29 on: 18 May, 2015, 11:50:45 am »
The Flyer is made from Reynolds 520 - Genesis have decided not to pay for the sticker.  More accurately, Reynolds 520 is 4130 steel, which is what the Flyer is made from.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 18 May, 2015, 02:15:40 pm »
Ah.  That wasn't the impression I got from the article.  Good stuff :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #31 on: 18 May, 2015, 09:10:04 pm »
I really like my Flyer - it's a 2014 model, though, with steel fork rather than carbon. It's not light, but it's comfy and has clearance for 28c tyres with mudguards.

« Reply #32 on: 20 May, 2015, 11:28:31 am »
Clearance for 28mm tyres and guards also depends on your chosen gear ratio - they've got the rear wheel pretty far forward in the road.cc photo, but with the use of an extra half link you might get away with it, depending on the brake reach as well.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Jakob

« Reply #33 on: 21 May, 2015, 09:29:54 pm »
Why not get a frame custom made?
http://www.steve-goff-frames.co.uk/frames.shtml

I am still very happy with my Goff frame.

« Reply #34 on: 24 June, 2015, 10:16:19 pm »
just to get back to you guys, still rocking my langster.

I'm nearly convinced myself a few time that gears would make life far easier, but I really love the simplicity of a fixer. I'm stuck between a genesis day one or a pompino. I'm won over by the steel frame, drops and ability to but fairly big tyres on for some muddy fun.

when it comes down to it, I like commuting on a ss for ease of use and general "fun ratio" other wise know as bloody mindedness
as for a geared bike might go second hand or pick up a btwin triban.

« Reply #35 on: 06 February, 2016, 10:42:59 am »
Cant decide between Flyer or Day One 10. Is it possible to avoid bouncing on broader tyres? Pt I use 25 mm on an 1986 Centurion Super Leman and would like something less soft.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #36 on: 07 February, 2016, 07:05:08 pm »
Condor Tempo's are ace

« Reply #37 on: 27 March, 2016, 08:42:06 am »
Second Jonah on Condor Tempo it's an amazing frame set well thought out with everything you need mega comfortable seat and head angles can't fault it other than price is going up long delays if you don't want the sturmey archer braze ons
Purely ride fixed

« Reply #38 on: 28 March, 2016, 04:35:17 pm »
Link? Pics?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/a-road/flyer

But that's the new Flyer, not the new new.

New new comes with 25c tyres and guards, horizontal dropouts and Promax brakes.

As corroborated here - http://road.cc/content/review/144906-genesis-flyer-singlespeed)

Its been a smidge over 12 months the man in the van rang my bell and handed me the big box containing my new Genesis Flyer. In that time we've covered 3113 miles together. Until I retired at Christmas it was my trusty commuter, since the end of October last year its been my winter bike. I've also done a charity ride on it, with riding to and from the event I clocked up 67 miles raising money for the NSPCC. When I brought it I converted it to fixed, added mudguards, my prefered tyres and, after a bit of faffing about, a rear carrier, after a few weeks I upgraded the wheels with a nice set from Planet X and swapped the stock saddle for the charge spoon off my Pearson. Just before Christmas I replaced the knackered chain, bottom bracket and chairing, I left the original 3/32 chainring on the bike when I did the fixed conversion and the 1/8 chain chewed through it quite quickly, a couple of weeks ago I changed the knackered front brake blocks for new Koolstop Salmons. I've also got through a set of tyres, the front picked up a sizable cut just before Christmas, and the back started to break up a couple of weeks ago, that could have been due to pothole damage, just before Christmas I hit a pothole at pace and needed the back wheel truing afterwards. Its been a good year, the bike goes and handles well, and I've done a lot of enjoyable rides on it. It seems a bit slow on the climbs compared to the Pearson I had before it, but the genesis is a little more stable on fast bumpy descents compared to the Pearson. Overall I'm pleased with it, its a lovely bike that goes well and I've had a lot of fun riding it.

« Reply #39 on: 04 April, 2016, 09:07:52 pm »
Link? Pics?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/a-road/flyer

But that's the new Flyer, not the new new.

New new comes with 25c tyres and guards, horizontal dropouts and Promax brakes.

As corroborated here - http://road.cc/content/review/144906-genesis-flyer-singlespeed)

Its been a smidge over 12 months the man in the van rang my bell and handed me the big box containing my new Genesis Flyer. In that time we've covered 3113 miles together. Until I retired at Christmas it was my trusty commuter, since the end of October last year its been my winter bike. I've also done a charity ride on it, with riding to and from the event I clocked up 67 miles raising money for the NSPCC. When I brought it I converted it to fixed, added mudguards, my prefered tyres and, after a bit of faffing about, a rear carrier, after a few weeks I upgraded the wheels with a nice set from Planet X and swapped the stock saddle for the charge spoon off my Pearson. Just before Christmas I replaced the knackered chain, bottom bracket and chairing, I left the original 3/32 chainring on the bike when I did the fixed conversion and the 1/8 chain chewed through it quite quickly, a couple of weeks ago I changed the knackered front brake blocks for new Koolstop Salmons. I've also got through a set of tyres, the front picked up a sizable cut just before Christmas, and the back started to break up a couple of weeks ago, that could have been due to pothole damage, just before Christmas I hit a pothole at pace and needed the back wheel truing afterwards. Its been a good year, the bike goes and handles well, and I've done a lot of enjoyable rides on it. It seems a bit slow on the climbs compared to the Pearson I had before it, but the genesis is a little more stable on fast bumpy descents compared to the Pearson. Overall I'm pleased with it, its a lovely bike that goes well and I've had a lot of fun riding it.

I've been trying to pick one up second hand, but haven't saw one. If anyone does (in a 56 flavour), let me know!

« Reply #40 on: 04 April, 2016, 09:28:50 pm »

« Reply #41 on: 04 April, 2016, 09:30:21 pm »
Here's one (not sure the FB link will work): https://www.facebook.com/groups/198728110180843/permalink/1002803949773251/

I have no idea how I've missed that  :facepalm:

Cheers.

« Reply #42 on: 08 April, 2016, 04:34:51 pm »
thanks, the current gear is 69" which works well for hillier terrain, i swap to 86" for flatter rides. it's a very straightforward swap as i use a different matching chain, so the wheel stays in the same place with no need to re-adjust rear brake pads.

One of the benefits of horizontal dropouts[1] is that you don't have to adjust the brakes if the rear wheel is moved, the angle of the dropout means the rim is in the same position w.r.t. the brake pads wherever the axle is in the dropout.

One snag of horizontal dropouts can be a bit of pain with tight fitting mudguards, but I've never had a problem removing my rear wheel even with full SKS guards, they are just bendy enough. Fitting the guards with safety clips (usually for the front wheel mounting) can be used to solve this if it's a problem but adds to the faff.

I got my Tempo early on (it was the third one Condor sold apparently) and so it was considerably cheaper than it is now. The replacement (after it was stolen) was paid for by the insurance company so I wasn't worryied about the subsequent price increase as the insurance co paid out for a like-for-like replacement.

Original: http://www.greenbank.org/bikes/tempo/tempo7.jpg
New: http://www.greenbank.org/audax/pbp_02.jpg

If I hadn't gone for the Tempo I was going to go for the Genesis Skyline (which was the then equivalent of the Ridgeback Flyer with mudguards). Would have required a bit more dosh to bring it up to the spec I wanted but still way cheaper than a Tempo. Tempo is lovely though.

1. The forward facing ones on a slight slope, not rear facing track-ends.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."