Poll

Clapham Bunkhouse 29th -- 30th Jan 2016

Yes up for it.
10 (100%)
Happy with venue but need another date.
0 (0%)
Don't like venue would prefer something else.
0 (0%)
Don't like venue and need another date.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 02 November, 2015, 08:07:11 pm

Author Topic: Winter hostelling 2015/6  (Read 24003 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Winter hostelling 2015/6
« Reply #250 on: 01 February, 2016, 07:37:38 pm »
Home now, some 10 hours after leaving Clapham.

The journey was mostly uneventful, but Bob persistently panicked over the amount of charge we had left. We stopped at Hartshead (M62, after I got into the wrong lane on the M606), Bawtry, Gonerby, Peterborough, and then I dropped Bob off not long after my planned time of 3pm and had a lovely cup of tea with him and Mrs. Bob - very pleasant! I thought I had enough charge to get me to Birchanger, but it was clearly going to be touch and go so I topped up at Cambridge. I thought I had plenty for Birchanger but I cut it far finer than I expected, and according to the rapid charger I used, I was on 0% when I started charging. My car seems to chew through the second half of the battery far more quickly than the first half. I think the very unhelpful wind was also a factor.

It charged extremely quickly to 85% (27 minutes - don't recall a charge as fast as that before) and whilst it was charging I nattered online to a Poorly Peli. Very sad to have missed her this weekend.

A great weekend with perfect company in which I did about 640 miles in the car in order to go for a 15 mile bike ride. Clapham Bunk is a great place run by lovely people - I took Sue's husband (Steve?) out for a spin in the car and he says he's going to buy a Leaf. He has a 35-ish mile commute and charging facilities at both ends, so it would be perfect for him. He would save £50 a week in fuel.

I too must acknowledge the excellent efforts of Canardly. Marvellous stuff!

OK - when's the next one?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #251 on: 01 February, 2016, 07:59:00 pm »
Well that was rather good. A marvellous hostel run by lovely and most welcoming people. If you are ever out that way pop in.  Lovely people + lovely people tends to make for an enjoyable week end! All agreed will be worth another visit. I think we must have met most of the village during our time there.

The Settle to Carlisle was amazing and a first for me, to our surprise the clouds parted and we experienced the most stunning sunlit vistas.  Peter and John drove up on Sunday to say hello and joined us for lunch which was great (and good fun). The food at the Gamecock in Austwick was excellent as ever and is highly recommended. The less said about climbing up out of Settle on the bike the better (ahem!) although I enjoyed the ride immensely and was treated kindly by les autres. We had snow, hail and brilliant sunshine. Must get my knee sorted.

Ruth made two fabulous curries from scratch in the small kitchen so many thanks (once again!) to her, it made for a special evening. The Socks provided some rather yummy deserts. We had the hostel to ourselves, a roaring log fire and good food. Hilda?, a sixty something caver from Burnley, joined us for dinner and entertained us with daring do tales of the local caves. Apparently the bosun's chair in Gaping Gill costs nothing to go down and a tenner to come up, but they only do it a few times a year. (The down AND up that is.) Note: skeletal remains have been found in local caves.

Very impressed with Settle, its inhabitants and the local cafes.

I hope Wowbagger can remove the finger nail marks from the dashboard,  not that I am the nervous type or anything. Yes you can stand ankle deep in water, whilst it is hissing down, pumping 107 amps into your car, honest. IKEA, please get some signage put up to locate your power charging stations!.

Get well soon Peli, we will see you both soon.

Now looking forward to spring. Also good to see everyone home safe and sound.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #252 on: 01 February, 2016, 08:11:57 pm »
Ruthie does make awesome curry.  Just one of her many talents!   

Thank you.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #253 on: 05 February, 2016, 07:59:17 pm »
Seems we were fortunate to have travelled the whole of the Settle to Carlisle and back as Appleby to Carlisle is now closed until the end of Febr, due to a landslip. Incidentally,  Faraday's parents came from Clapham.

« Reply #254 on: 05 February, 2016, 08:04:26 pm »
It's been affected on and off by landslips since the first bad floods. I know as my usual morning train into Leeds starts in Carlisle. Jolly inconvenient! Glad you managed it and didn't get stranded. :)

« Reply #255 on: 05 February, 2016, 08:05:08 pm »
...   Incidentally,  Faraday's parents came from Clapham.

I wonder if that partly explains the crap mobile phone reception in Clapham...    :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #256 on: 20 February, 2016, 08:24:29 pm »
I was a bit concerned yesterday that I had damaged my car seat. OK, enormous girth notwithstanding (or even sitting) the sorts of sensation I was getting through my arse (oo-err missus!) made me thing that perhaps a spring had gone, which is a bit soon given that the car has only done 32000 miles. I opened the rear door (as you do) and had a delve under my seat only to discover a stray pint bottle of Saltaire Blonde that Canardly and I had bought at Morrisons in Skipton.

Cheers!

« Reply #257 on: 20 February, 2016, 08:43:27 pm »
Glad it turned up, was a bit of a mystere that.

« Reply #258 on: 22 September, 2022, 08:37:41 pm »
Well its that time of year. Any suggestions for a winter meet somewhere? Would be good to get together again. Ps Canvas does not really appeal! (was it really that long ago?)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #259 on: 22 September, 2022, 09:35:59 pm »
There's a camping barn, a bunkhouse, a youth hostel and a station in Edale.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

« Reply #261 on: 22 September, 2022, 09:51:15 pm »
I am a tad biased as my forebears came from there going back a few hundred years or so. Looks good. What do others think? There is a rail connection nearby thinks. Upfrit but happy to go elsewhere.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #262 on: 22 September, 2022, 10:18:41 pm »
The drawback with those is that they are a long way from the nearest pub. I don't know how much we will feel like eating out, given how much the price of everything is going up. There's a Spar shop in Hope that's open until 10pm, which sells good stuff, and Watsons farm shop for good sausages, bacon etc. nearby. In fact, the Spar shop stocks Watsons sausages.

« Reply #263 on: 23 September, 2022, 05:21:48 pm »
There is a railway station in Edale (the Sheffield - Manchester train stops there) and a general store at other end of village near The Old Nags Head.. I used to hill walk around there most weekends as a kid.

« Reply #264 on: 23 September, 2022, 06:35:07 pm »
Probably a bit far north for me at that time of year  :'(
the slower you go the more you see