Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520844 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2825 on: 14 November, 2017, 11:46:15 am »
"Three seconds until the trumpets" yelled the producer and we were off, our fleeting moment of stardom was about to begin.

As the UK's premier Audax Club, it was only a matter of time before the media wanted a piece of the ACME phenomenon.  Oaky had been hoping for a Netflix reality series and had gone as far as growing a novelty moustache and beard in anticipation but first through the door was good old Auntie. 

It had started with a casual conversation at last week's MEMWNs.  OD, our resident master of mayhem, had somehow managed to turn a befuddled query about how to work the interweb into an invitation for us to appear on the One Show.  In his own words he had "warmed up" the assistant producer, the mind boggles (and then you try to stop it boggling if at all possible).

So it was that OD, the person related to someone famous, Soupy, Swiss Tony, Oaky and I ended up standing in the lobby of the Peel Wing at Broadcasting House last night in our formal ACME uniforms.  OD takes a cavalier attitude to many aspects of life and it would appear that security is but another item on that long list.  We were under strict instructions to bring ID in order to be admitted but quite how "Andy Clowd" and "Nick Bruno" were going to prove those identities I do not know.  Fortunately the security guard had assessed OD as being on the eccentric rather than dangerous scale.

The Green Room was something of a disappointment being neither green nor really a room and, more particularly, containing no Essex Energy Drinks.  Somehow or other some of us were going to have to manage to cycle on water alone, we volunteered OD and TPRTSF.

While we were waiting there we had the chance to meet some of the thousands of people that seem to be required to sit two people down on a sofa to talk to someone.  They were very cool and media though.  Who knew dungarees were even a thing.  One of the beautiful trendy people led us down to the studio where Mike and Al (as we know them) were already on the sofa, presumably having been guided there by half a dozen people each.  OD and TPRTSF were put onto their bikes while Oaky and I tried to distract them so the other person could turn up the resistance setting.  Then we got into trouble for making the bikes go beep so we had to stop that.

Before we knew it, the show was over and we were having pictures taken on "the sofa" - we managed to sit down on it without any help though.

Fortunately, there was still plenty of time to grab some Essex Energy Drinks before the train home.  Fame hasn't changed us, we passed the delights of the Groucho Club and our showbiz friends by and made our way to a 'Spoons.  We did pick a corner table though so that our security detail could stop us being pestered for selfies, our new agent is very strict about access particularly while he negotiates our endorsement deals and ties up the deal for the new ranges of ACME action figures and dressing up outfits.

Wednesday's MEMWNs might be a bit different.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #2826 on: 14 November, 2017, 11:59:44 am »
Having watched the One Show for the first time last night, I am left with a question just hanging there. What was the purpose of those shots with yourselves in the background at the beginning and end of the show?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2827 on: 14 November, 2017, 12:04:06 pm »
That's like asking, what's the point of the Mona Lisa - there doesn't have to be a point, it just has to be something beautiful to look at.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2828 on: 14 November, 2017, 12:24:13 pm »
ted, you’re a marvel  ;D

« Reply #2829 on: 14 November, 2017, 03:19:32 pm »
That's like asking, what's the point of the Mona Lisa - there doesn't have to be a point, it just has to be something beautiful to look at.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #2830 on: 14 November, 2017, 03:56:37 pm »
In truth we were not just there as eye candy for the more discerning viewer.

They are worried this week that the Rickshaw will not arrive on schedule at its final destination.  If that happens they will be left with a few minutes to fill.  Most of us were given name badges in case they needed to interview us about how our own challenges were going - you may have noted that we gently moved OD to the back of the group after his initial gurnfest on the exercise bike.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2831 on: 14 November, 2017, 04:10:33 pm »
Absolutely. Never let it be said I’m one for hogging the limelight.

« Reply #2832 on: 14 November, 2017, 04:18:22 pm »

Unlike Ted, who could be seen at least 2 paces in front of everybody else at the end.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2833 on: 14 November, 2017, 04:23:37 pm »

Unlike Ted, who could be seen at least 2 paces in front of everybody else at the end.

But to be fair he’s used to leading from the front. That’s why he’s Gen Sec.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2834 on: 21 November, 2017, 01:21:46 pm »
BFC Down.

I`ve just heard some bad news, our Beerfuelledcommuter has been knocked off of his new bike at a roundabout in Witham, fortunately the frame may be ok.

Of secondary consideration, he is languishing in Broomfield Hospital, John Ray Ward, E323 with a fractured shoulder and ankle, he is having some surgery today, but I`m sure he would enjoy our best wishes or maybe a visit from the ACME peloton tomorrow evening.

« Reply #2835 on: 21 November, 2017, 01:30:09 pm »
That's not good news. BFC, I hope that you heal well and quickly.

ACME peleton visit sounds like a good idea. I think the designated pub is near to Broomfield in the forward planning calendar. I'm working in Reading during the day, so will struggle to get to Broomfield in time for visiting hours ... although I cannot find what they are on the Broomfield hospital website. They seem more keen on advising when the various shops are open!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2836 on: 21 November, 2017, 01:41:56 pm »
John Ray Ward phone number is 01245 513925

Visiting hours, 2.00pm to 4.00pm and 6.30pm to 8.00pm.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2837 on: 21 November, 2017, 01:58:46 pm »
Fuck!  I wonder if it was the Spa Road roundabout at about 7:45 yesterday morning?  I only mention this as there was an ambulance parked there and a police officer was talking to a young chap and next said young chap was a sliver Ford Fiesta.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2838 on: 21 November, 2017, 02:08:43 pm »
Probably, I believe the accident occurred at about that time.

I`m working tomorrow evening but I`ll pop over to visit before I start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2839 on: 21 November, 2017, 02:14:35 pm »
Probably, I believe the accident occurred at about that time.

I`m working tomorrow evening but I`ll pop over to visit before I start.

If our suppositions are correct the Spa Road roundabout needs to be treated with respect as huggy has been taken out there as well.  Cars approach and enter the roundabout quite quickly.

I will try to get into see the lad.  Some of us might not know BFC's real name, if that's the case PM me.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2840 on: 21 November, 2017, 02:16:26 pm »
Carl, if you can ask him if there's anything he needs bringing in (within reason obvs...) then I'll try and pop over on Thursday to sort... grapes, lucozade, kebab - that sort of thing!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2841 on: 21 November, 2017, 02:21:53 pm »
I think prizes need to be awarded for the most random thing we can take him. I’ll got a few good ideas already.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2842 on: 21 November, 2017, 02:43:20 pm »
Carl, if you can ask him if there's anything he needs bringing in (within reason obvs...) then I'll try and pop over on Thursday to sort... grapes, lucozade, kebab - that sort of thing!

Okey dokey, I`d say sneak him a couple of bottles of beer, but I`m not sure if he can open them at the moment :'(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2843 on: 21 November, 2017, 02:46:48 pm »

Okey dokey, I`d say sneak him a couple of bottles of beer, but I`m not sure if he can open them at the moment :'(

Surely the answer is obvious.  Just take him the Beer Bitch!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2844 on: 21 November, 2017, 06:26:59 pm »
  :o Get well soon, BFC! I could possibly make it over to Broomfield before 8pm - a peloton visit seems like a good plan.

What's the pub for later btw?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2845 on: 21 November, 2017, 06:32:24 pm »
I won’t be out tomorrow night I’m afraid but will still try to see BFC.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2846 on: 21 November, 2017, 06:37:06 pm »
  :o Get well soon, BFC! I could possibly make it over to Broomfield before 8pm - a peloton visit seems like a good plan.

Cal says Rose & Crown..

I'm aiming to make it there for food, so will prob skip BFC visit tomorrow and try for Thursday.
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2847 on: 21 November, 2017, 06:45:21 pm »

Cal says Rose & Crown..

I'm aiming to make it there for food, so will prob skip BFC visit tomorrow and try for Thursday.

R & C Gt Waltham?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2848 on: 21 November, 2017, 08:37:00 pm »
Yep  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2849 on: 21 November, 2017, 10:26:05 pm »
Looks like the work/family logistics dictate a hospital visit some other time. I reckon I could get there in time for Thursday evening visiting [by c*r ]. Pub tomorrow by about 9pm is still on though.