Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 524772 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2950 on: 25 February, 2018, 08:02:31 pm »
Today whilst looking for a picture of some BCM scenery I bumped into a blog that included the below pic  ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2951 on: 25 February, 2018, 09:23:18 pm »
I remember that BCM! Call me Wolfgang Amadeus.

And I have read the blog, at the time - hooked up with a couple of Spanish guys [I think they were] for a few miles...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2952 on: 26 February, 2018, 08:33:25 am »
iddu's Are EWE Abbey yet? 600km, is now in the AUK calendar: 21st July. Save the date - ACME are running the Coggeshall control  :thumbsup:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-70/

« Reply #2953 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:01:09 pm »
How about a Monday night outing?

https://uk.demand.film/mamil/

Chelmsford Odeon in April?

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2954 on: 28 February, 2018, 05:08:29 am »

Yes, I'd be up for that!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2955 on: 28 February, 2018, 07:50:54 am »

:thumbsup:

« Reply #2956 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:03:07 am »
Interested yes. It's straight after Yr Elenydd, where I have an outline plan to stay in Wales for a recce of the This is Not a Tour route, if the weather is favourable (a big if given its Wales at the beginning of April).

When are you looking to buy tickets?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2957 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:30:42 am »
I'd be up for that.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2958 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:17:19 am »
Before I start a new thread, was there an ACME Apparel thread somewhere here?  A quick search doesn't reveal it to me but you may know different.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2959 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:26:35 am »
Before I start a new thread, was there an ACME Apparel thread somewhere here?  A quick search doesn't reveal it to me but you may know different.

A couple of threads, the second may be more generally applicable:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=104989.msg2245103#msg2245103

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=103220.msg2213751#msg2213751

« Reply #2960 on: 15 March, 2018, 10:44:28 am »
Back to the important stuff - Wednesday night adventures.

Last night was a new venue for me - the Live and Let Live in Colchester which turned out not to be the pub I thought it was as I had mixed it up with one nearby.

The pub was a bit like the Carpenter's Arms in Maldon; basic but carrying a good selection of ales - in fact, too good as you will see...

I arrived to find Chief, Oaky, Huggy, Tomsk, OD, the Hustler, Jiber, Stanners and special guest star the Straggler all well into their first sample.  They seemed really pleased to see me and were very encouraging about my ongoing fitness program  ::-)

We sampled American Red by Calvors, Black Shuck by Hellhound and Evolution by Mr Majolica.  Usually the Hustler and I are in full agreement on the Quaffers' Choice - being gentlemen of refined tastes.  However this week we ended up in a long and bitter (geddit !) debate between Evolution and American Red.  We took it to the wider assembly but that just made it worse with a number of people opting for different choices entirely.  In the end the only option was to leave it to the wisdom of Tomsk.  Fortunately Tomsk made the correct choice and Evolution was duly given the Quaffers' Choice Award.  At that point another round of tasting began just to make sure.

Talk was of OD's new Alpine regime, the best way to cook horse and corporate governance.

We left to a windy but relatively mild night which meant a bit of a slog home for those of us heading East, Tomsk must have flown back.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #2961 on: 15 March, 2018, 02:04:18 pm »
That was a most enjoyable hour last night. It was great to catch up with everyone and hopefully at some point work will return to normality and I can get out more regularly. At the moment new job stresses and getting up before 5 just mean 1 beer too many make it tough....maybe I am just getting old, or soft, or soft and old...ANYWAY

April 8th, ColVelo have arranged for Paris Roubaix to be shown in the Queen Street Brewhouse in Colchester. So if you fancy supping some good Belgian beer while watching the race with a bunch of folk who love bikes come along. Jibers will attest it is a good little bar with some of Belgiums finest.... Westmalle Triple in pint form was my downfall last year.

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #2962 on: 15 March, 2018, 02:16:29 pm »
......So if you fancy supping some good Belgian beer ......

Say no more. I am in.  ;D ;D
Recovered from my double dose of Kasteel Donker last week - among others.

« Reply #2963 on: 15 March, 2018, 03:12:24 pm »
Queen Street Brewery are also showing the Milan-San Remo race on Saturday from 1.00pm

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2964 on: 15 March, 2018, 05:09:50 pm »
...Tomsk must have flown back.

:thumbsup: Highly unusual to have a strong tailwind home from the Far East. I think I knocked about 30 minutes off my Colchester return pb.

« Reply #2965 on: 15 March, 2018, 06:34:17 pm »
Kinda hoping Milan - San Remo will be on the telly and can find somewhere to watch it as will be in Italy. Other then that I will honestly get out on the bike soon. Just need to finish building the new one and decide what tyres to put on it.

« Reply #2966 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:11:07 am »
April 8th, ColVelo have arranged for Paris Roubaix to be shown in the Queen Street Brewhouse in Colchester. So if you fancy supping some good Belgian beer while watching the race with a bunch of folk who love bikes come along. Jibers will attest it is a good little bar with some of Belgiums finest.... Westmalle Triple in pint form was my downfall last year.

Sounds great!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2967 on: 17 March, 2018, 07:44:50 pm »
Back to the important stuff - Wednesday night adventures.

Last night was a new venue for me - the Live and Let Live in Colchester which turned out not to be the pub I thought it was as I had mixed it up with one nearby.

The pub was a bit like the Carpenter's Arms in Maldon; basic but carrying a good selection of ales - in fact, too good as you will see...

I arrived to find Chief, Oaky, Huggy, Tomsk, OD, the Hustler, Jiber, Stanners and special guest star the Straggler all well into their first sample.  They seemed really pleased to see me and were very encouraging about my ongoing fitness program  ::-)

We sampled American Red by Calvors, Black Shuck by Hellhound and Evolution by Mr Majolica.  Usually the Hustler and I are in full agreement on the Quaffers' Choice - being gentlemen of refined tastes.  However this week we ended up in a long and bitter (geddit !) debate between Evolution and American Red.  We took it to the wider assembly but that just made it worse with a number of people opting for different choices entirely.  In the end the only option was to leave it to the wisdom of Tomsk.  Fortunately Tomsk made the correct choice and Evolution was duly given the Quaffers' Choice Award.  At that point another round of tasting began just to make sure.

Talk was of OD's new Alpine regime, the best way to cook horse and corporate governance.

We left to a windy but relatively mild night which meant a bit of a slog home for those of us heading East, Tomsk must have flown back.
Just watching Penelope Keith's coastal villages (living the dream on a Saturday night!)  and there was reference to Black Shuck

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Shuck
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2968 on: 19 March, 2018, 10:49:20 am »
Next Saturday, 24th March, final chance for an ARROW preparation ride:

'Boudicca's Revenge' Permanent 200, starting from Dunmow, time tbc.

Option for those on the 'Essex Borders' to go by train to start at Stansted Mountfitchet on the route [or via Bishops Stortford] and meet us at the first control in Buntingford.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2969 on: 19 March, 2018, 01:06:58 pm »
Next Saturday, 24th March, final chance for an ARROW preparation ride:

'Boudicca's Revenge' Permanent 200, starting from Dunmow, time tbc.

Option for those on the 'Essex Borders' to go by train to start at Stansted Mountfitchet on the route [or via Bishops Stortford] and meet us at the first control in Buntingford.

Has potential, subject to feeling better....  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2970 on: 19 March, 2018, 06:14:14 pm »
Unfortunately I’m signed up for the Hard Boiled as my warm up ... should be sufficiently warm after that!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2971 on: 22 March, 2018, 07:45:54 pm »
Date for the diary: Saturday 11th Aug [the weekend after Huggy's R&R events] - ACME have been asked if they can run an Essex village hall control at Magdalene Laver on a London Orbital 300km. I'm free to help with this, any others?

It's a Manotea event, starting from Chalfont St Peter, control opening from 13:00-19:00-ish.

« Reply #2972 on: 27 March, 2018, 12:55:08 pm »
Anyone interested in a set of PDW Full Metal Fenders (the Skinny ones which I think can probably do 25's)?

They will be going in the recycling at the end of the week if I can't find any takers.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2973 on: 27 March, 2018, 01:00:20 pm »
I would certainly be interested if they haven't been trimmed down (need a set of the front stays)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2974 on: 27 March, 2018, 02:29:37 pm »
I'm 99% sure that I have never trimmed them as they had all the adjustment I needed as they were.