Author Topic: N+1 in progress  (Read 24022 times)

Re: N+1 in progress
« Reply #25 on: 28 December, 2012, 04:36:49 pm »
Thanks, what make and model are they please?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #26 on: 28 December, 2012, 06:21:53 pm »
Thanks, what make and model are they please?

they are sold under different names; i got them from px

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #27 on: 28 December, 2012, 07:00:49 pm »
They're not joking when they say "incredibly low weight": 205g.  I wonder if the front one is as effective as front Campag Record Skeleton with KoolStop pads?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #28 on: 28 December, 2012, 07:26:09 pm »
i haven't tried record brakes (poor design imo :)), but i doubt they would be any better. the only way to know is to test them both with the same pads. i descended long steep hills in wet weather during mille alba last summer and was always confident they would stop me in time. for me, good reliable brakes is no.1 priority on a bike

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #29 on: 31 December, 2012, 04:17:42 pm »
while waiting for the spokes to arrive, borrowed a set of wheels from my mrs' bike, took a random stem and bars from the "spares box" and put the bike together just to see the how it looks. The saddle and handlebars are at correct height from bb and the floor, the steerer tube needs to be cut. building wheels is my next challenge, after that - the bike is pretty much ready to go!!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 31 December, 2012, 04:19:59 pm »
Sleek
Getting there...

« Reply #31 on: 31 December, 2012, 09:20:30 pm »
Lovely. Crying out for a derailleur or two.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #32 on: 01 January, 2013, 12:43:13 pm »
cheers, the derailleurs are on another bike, this one will do without! :) it's crying out for a nice set of factory wheels, unfortunately i couldn't find any (mavic ellipse and american classic 420 were the only ones worth consideration)

rob

« Reply #33 on: 01 January, 2013, 02:50:15 pm »
I'm interested to know why you didn't choose the Mavic Ellipse.   I'm thinking of those for the bike au haven't built yet.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #34 on: 01 January, 2013, 03:48:35 pm »
The bottom of the drops are at a funny angle. I'd keep sliding off them.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #35 on: 01 January, 2013, 04:47:58 pm »
I'm interested to know why you didn't choose the Mavic Ellipse.   I'm thinking of those for the bike au haven't built yet.

firstly, they are heavy (equivalent mavic road wheels are 300g lighter, which for the wheels, is a lot), then the brake track is anodised, which i didn't like - it wouldn't look right when it starts wearing off. the wheels only come with fixed/fixed hub and i need longer freewheel thread on one side, ideally. ellipses are tightened with track nuts which means you have to carry a big ol' spanner with you..

The bottom of the drops are at a funny angle. I'd keep sliding off them.

there's no way i would ride with such bars either - they came with a bike i purchased some time ago and were taken off straight away. shallow drops are my favourite, as i have on my audax bike.

rob

« Reply #36 on: 01 January, 2013, 06:03:39 pm »

firstly, they are heavy (equivalent mavic road wheels are 300g lighter, which for the wheels, is a lot), then the brake track is anodised, which i didn't like - it wouldn't look right when it starts wearing off. the wheels only come with fixed/fixed hub and i need longer freewheel thread on one side, ideally. ellipses are tightened with track nuts which means you have to carry a big ol' spanner with you..

I hadn't got as far as weight being rather taken by the shiny pair I saw in Condors.   Looks like my audax wheels (open pro on goldtec track) are lighter and cheaper.

Thanks

Rob

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #37 on: 16 January, 2013, 06:51:53 pm »
did some minor fettling today before i get on with the wheel building. i've read many opinions/articles about spoke washers and came to conclusion that they may prevent spoke breakages near the hub flange. building without washers is perfectly fine as well, as long as the wheel is built to a good standard. i decided to use washers as the spoke head fits the flange more snugly and may give me more room for error as this is the first set of wheels i'm building.

spoke in a hub without a washer:

shaped the washers from flat to conic:

with the little washer, there's no side-to-side play and the spoke exits the flange right at the bend, rather than just before it:

next step - to buff the spokes 8)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #38 on: 02 February, 2013, 09:15:38 pm »
the wheels are now built, fingers sore. it's been very interesting and satisfying to finish my first set of wheels! i managed to over tension the rear wheel and turn it into a pringle-shaped object.. good thing it's easy to undo this mistake and the wheel came out round and true in the end. the only thing i would like to do is to measure spoke tension to see how far out/close to the recommended 100-110kgf it is.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #39 on: 03 February, 2013, 08:42:31 am »
They look well bling! 

Good work.

Pop them in the frameset and let's have a photo!  Going to be a lovely machine for sure.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #40 on: 06 February, 2013, 10:33:30 pm »
if you want to add some extra shine to the spokes, i can recommend this kit (elbow grease not pictured):

there is a proper and more sophisticated way of making steel shiny, but if if i turned up at hatton garden with a bunch of spokes - ... ::-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

today i've installed veloplugs to cover spoke holes; an alternative would be a good 'ol cotton rim tape (13mm wide). once the plugs are punched in i don't think i will be able to remove them without breaking. anybody else here using them?

« Reply #41 on: 07 February, 2013, 11:24:57 am »
Will you be using this bike at all or will it  be vacuum packed and hung from the living room wall to keep it in mint condition?

:P
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

LEE

« Reply #42 on: 07 February, 2013, 12:20:10 pm »
Does polishing your spokes this way make your toes sore?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #43 on: 07 February, 2013, 02:38:25 pm »
Will you be using this bike at all or will it  be vacuum packed and hung from the living room wall to keep it in mint condition?

:P

oh yes, like my other bikes it will be getting a fair share of use. i need to finish building it first, though! i've enjoyed the process so far and learnt few things along the way - why shouldn't i be riding it? it should give a great ride and i'm looking forward to test it out! i've changed my mind about the gearing, btw. will run 52x20 for general riding with an option to gear up to 52x16 for an occasional tt (if i decide to give them a go).

yes, but this may toughen them up for long distance running ;)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #44 on: 15 April, 2013, 11:41:47 pm »
well the spring is coming, time to put the bike together :D. but before that i thought i'll weigh the components ww style (still plenty of scope for weight reduction if i decide to). i'll weigh few remaining odds'n'sods when i'm assembling the bike, but so far the list goes:

frame         1203g
fork (uncut)      371g
rear wheel 32h   736g
front wheel 32h   698g
axle bolts+washers 48g
chainset 52t+guard   928g
bottom bracket   94g
pedals         257g
freewheel 20t     224g
brake levers        222g
stem              122g/173g
handlebars      199g
h. tape+plugs      60g
gel inserts (drops)   28g
saddle         143g
seatpost        224g
seatpost clamp   21g
chain         285g
brakes         208g
headset         58g
tyres pro3      2x215g
inner tubes latex   2x79g

the whole bike should come to around 7.2kg, and i'm especially happy about the wheels which turned out lighter than (my benchmark) ksyrium sl's, i hope with more spokes they will be just as stiff, therefore great for climbing. only a pity that they need tyre levers to (dis)mount the tyres - but i can live with that.

next little project - to devise a custom toolkit for this bike

« Reply #45 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:49:48 am »

At least they get put to good use afterwards.

http://www.switchbikes.com/technology_socks.php

Does the frame come with a little 'Made by Foot in Italy' sticker on it?
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #46 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:12:49 pm »
At least they get put to good use afterwards.

http://www.switchbikes.com/technology_socks.php

Does the frame come with a little 'Made by Foot in Italy' sticker on it?

yes, recycling is important in the current throw-away-things age. frames, while designed in italy, are put together elsewhere afaik (using hands, feet, head and other body parts :))

i spoke to "strada" boys at bespoked, they said they use polishing wheel to give the spokes some extra shine but still it takes about the same time, 1hr per wheel.

« Reply #47 on: 17 April, 2013, 09:58:14 am »
well the spring is coming, time to put the bike together

<drums fingers on desk>

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #48 on: 18 April, 2013, 01:47:36 pm »
right. tried to finish setting up handlebars yesterday, but run into a compatibility issue. the handlebars are my favourite shape (short reach shallow drop) which means that (when looking from above) forward reaching part of the bars is quite short and the campag lever does does not sit straight because of it's location of a clamp combined with more "hugging" plastic mold design. tektro brakes from my spares box work fine and clamp securely.
i could do a bit of cutting/grinding/filing on the campag lever to remove the inner top part of it's plastic body, but i'd really like to avoid any bodgeing, so campag levers nice as they are will have to go. i'll be ordering some trp levers instead, which felt great for my hands at bespoked show, but are 60g heavier compared to campag record. pictures below show the different lever clamp location and how it affects the position on the 'bars.

« Reply #49 on: 18 April, 2013, 03:20:20 pm »
Totally agree that it's worth spending time (and, sadly, money) getting the bar / lever ergonomics just right. At least you have settled on the bars you want so now it's just a matter of trying levers.

I didn't make it to Bespoked btw or I'd have PM'd you.