Author Topic: Bike Check?  (Read 15150 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Bike Check?
« Reply #50 on: 12 July, 2019, 05:42:31 am »
His answer is a lot more useful than worrying about the bike check.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #51 on: 12 July, 2019, 08:01:12 am »
His answer is a lot more useful than worrying about the bike check.

100%

The bike checkers are not out to make life difficult - they want you to ride PBP just as much as you want to ride it. 

It really is all over in a minute or two.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #52 on: 12 July, 2019, 08:16:21 am »
indeed, nothing to worry about.

however, suffering a crash (resulting back injury for three months) because of someone else's preventable fault, i'd like the bike checks to be more thorough and strict..

they did a proper check before the tcrno5, which is understandable as the riders are about to ride 4000km with limited (if any) technical assistance available on the way, so the bikes need to be spot on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 12 July, 2019, 12:54:52 pm »
I'd say that "nothing to worry about" has already been disproven upthread:

2011 bike check - they didn't like my brakes (which were fine), my lights (which were fine), and something else, so had stressful time getting fine things fixed (so they weren't as fine) and left a couple of hours later, stressed.

"It may come down to a random whim of the checker so there's no point worrying about it in advance" isn't quite the same thing...

« Reply #54 on: 12 July, 2019, 01:08:26 pm »
I've still got the 35mm film canister, with the spare bulbs nestling in tissue paper inside, from my 1999 bike-check. I already had a screw bulb for my Sanyo dynapower setup, but I spent Monday morning trawling outlets for a spare pre-focus bulb for my D-Cell Cateye. I'd passed the bike test without the right bulbs, and it was preying on my mind.

The Sunday start is a bit problematic in terms of displacement activities to allay anxieties

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #55 on: 12 July, 2019, 02:51:26 pm »
Five PBP bike checks so far with not even a hint of worry and I don't expect that to change this time. With 6000+ riders, almost anything is possible but the chances of that 'solitary instance' heading in my direction is too small for me to even consider bothering with.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #56 on: 12 July, 2019, 02:55:43 pm »
Five PBP bike checks so far with not even a hint of worry and I don't expect that to change this time. With 6000+ riders, almost anything is possible but the chances of that 'solitary instance' heading in my direction is too small for me to even consider bothering with.

If it happens to just 1 rider each time, that's a 1 in 6000 incident rate. Better odds than the lottery...

Each persons acceptable level of risk is different. For some trying to minimise the chances of being in the 1 in 6000, is worth it.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #57 on: 12 July, 2019, 03:01:43 pm »
The Venice convention is more useful to worry about, particularly if you're from a non convention country or a Geneva protocol country like Ireland...

Had to point out to an Aussie rider on the tcr Facebook group that road signage in Europe and Asia is effectively standardised because of it after they mistook an end of cycle route sign for a prohibition sign.

I've a bike to rebuild and a wiring issue to resolve and test in the next month.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #58 on: 12 July, 2019, 03:08:47 pm »
The Venice convention is more useful to worry about, particularly if you're from a non convention country or a Geneva protocol country like Ireland...

Had to point out to an Aussie rider on the tcr Facebook group that road signage in Europe and Asia is effectively standardised because of it after they mistook an end of cycle route sign for a prohibition sign.

I've a bike to rebuild and a wiring issue to resolve and test in the next month.

Vienna convention rather than Venice?

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #59 on: 12 July, 2019, 03:27:43 pm »

J
No, the vienna convention altered and ratified the Geneva protocol on road signage.

That is where the red bordered warning triangles, red bordered prohibition circles,  blue instruction circles and blue rectangular instructional signs come from.
The Irish use diamonds instead of triangles because that's what the Geneva protocol proposed.

The Venice convention is about basic road traffic law standardisation such as basic lighting requirements for vehicles and how to identify vehicles in international traffic (stickers with country codes or blue borders on registration plates with country flag and code)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #60 on: 12 July, 2019, 03:28:24 pm »

J
No, the vienna convention altered and ratified the Geneva protocol on road signage.

That is where the red bordered warning triangles, red bordered prohibition circles,  blue instruction circles and blue rectangular instructional signs come from.
The Irish use diamonds instead of triangles because that's what the Geneva protocol proposed.

The vienna convention is about basic road traffic law standardisation such as basic lighting requirements for vehicles and how to identify vehicles in international traffic (stickers with country codes or blue borders on registration plates with country flag and code)

And the Venice convention?

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #61 on: 12 July, 2019, 03:48:31 pm »
Fixed the typo

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #62 on: 12 July, 2019, 04:59:37 pm »
I think you were right about the Vienna Convention before altering the typo, though it does also replace the Geneva Convention of 1949.
https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDetailsIII.aspx?src=TREATY&mtdsg_no=XI-B-19&chapter=11&Temp=mtdsg3&clang=_en
Scroll down and you can see, amongst other stuff, some of the identifying letters. Incidentally, the UK must be one of the tardiest ratifiers of that treaty, maybe any treaty ever: signed at the convention, 8 November 1968, not ratified till 2018.

I can't find anything about the Venice Convention.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #63 on: 22 July, 2019, 11:51:45 am »
My dynamo front light is mounted just above the axle of the front wheel, is this likely to cause issues at the bike check ?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #64 on: 22 July, 2019, 12:42:15 pm »
On the axle always used to be the standard front light mounting point for French cyclotourists.  Don't know if that's changed.

The Venice convention is about basic road traffic law standardisation ...

That sounds deeply ironic - it would be like convening in Ireland to discuss water conservation.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #65 on: 12 August, 2019, 03:11:29 pm »
On the axle always used to be the standard front light mounting point for French cyclotourists.  Don't know if that's changed.

Fingers crossed. The worst that'll happen is I have to remove this light and rely on my backups, which means carrying more USB batteries than planned.

However, I have cunningly deployed a squeaky duck with a pink crash-helmet on the bars. Hopefully that'll distract the bike auditors from looking at my light.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #66 on: 12 August, 2019, 07:38:40 pm »
I volunteered at the bike check last time before riding it.

Just make sure your bike works properly with two brakes and two lights (one red, one white and mounted on the proper side) and is in one solid piece like you mean business.

Those with a dynamo, Mrs Somnolent this is for you and Mr Somnolent, make sure it's connected at the hub thing and actually shines a light. This will speed your progress through the bike check and the friendly checker chap won't have to perform mechanic duties.

It's fucking hard work standing there for two days looking at stressed out peoples push bikes, so be kind and do the checkers work for them beforehand.

Top tip.

(click to show/hide)

Breathe........................and relax.

« Reply #67 on: 12 August, 2019, 11:16:22 pm »
I'm looking to arrive in Rambouillet later than initially planned now and notice I can't amend the bike check time on the PBP site. Anyone know best person to contact from PBP for this type of thing? Also, does anyone know what time the bike check goes on until on Sunday? Cheers.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #68 on: 13 August, 2019, 06:55:48 am »
I'm looking to arrive in Rambouillet later than initially planned now and notice I can't amend the bike check time on the PBP site. Anyone know best person to contact from PBP for this type of thing? Also, does anyone know what time the bike check goes on until on Sunday? Cheers.
If it is like general French administration there will be a form that has to be completed and then stamped by a supervisor who passes it to another department who will allocate the resources required to change the appointment. This will then happen and be checked by the scheduling department that will ratify the change. It will then be passed to the communication department that will have to update the schedule documentation that will have to be distributed to all the bike checkers and security staff. The printers needs six weeks notice to change the documentation.

Sorry it is too late.

:thumbsup:
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #69 on: 13 August, 2019, 07:55:56 am »

Just turn up, time slots weren't checked last time because its chaos in there.

simonp

« Reply #70 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:00:05 am »
The time slots are indicative not set in stone. I’m not sure about Sunday bike check - I think this might be for 84h riders.

« Reply #71 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:48:34 am »
Ok interesting, might try and blag it. Yep, I'm in the 84-hour group.

simonp

« Reply #72 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:20:44 am »

From the regulations:

Article 13 : Sign-in

You must go to the bike check at the time which has been assigned by the ACP according to your request :
- Saturday, Aug 17 from 08h00 a.m. to 07:00 p.m. for riders starting on Sunday, Aug 18.
- Sunday, Aug 18 from 08:00 to 13:00 a.m. (sic) for riders starting on Monday, Aug 19.

« Reply #73 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:27:06 am »
https://track.rtrt.me/e/PBP-2019#/tracker/RUMVPFSY
Bike checking on Saturday is 7:30-20:00 and on Sunday is 7:30-13:00, according to Page 11 of the brochure:
http://www.paris-brest-paris.org/en/download/PBP-BROCHURE-GB.pdf
I suspect allocated bike check slots are like directional arrows on road bike tyres: there to preempt questions ("which way should this tyre go on?") and/or provide structure for riders yearning for waypoints as a mechanism for tension relief.

« Reply #74 on: 13 August, 2019, 11:11:07 am »

Is that so??? All the classic photos that I have seen of french cyclotourists have had the front light (for dynamo lighting) or torch fastened to the underside of the front bag support (that from the 60's and 70's).
Mind when I was a kid we frequently had the front light bracket on the front wheel axle when there wasn't a light boss on the fork. It was safer than having one of those brackets clamped to the fork blade that always slid down and went into your wheel going over a pothole. Now getting one of those light brackets through the PBP lighting and bounce checks might be a challenge!! (Of course we had nutted axles, not q-r)