Author Topic: N+1 in progress  (Read 24021 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: N+1 in progress
« Reply #50 on: 21 April, 2013, 10:17:09 pm »
got some latex inner tubes just for laughs to test how much air they leak and if they are feasible for longer rides. pumped the tyres up to 120psi they went down to 85psi after 24hrs and to 70psi after 48hrs. conclusion - fine for the rides up to 300k. i'll see if they are worth the hassle after some real world testing.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #51 on: 05 May, 2013, 06:56:54 pm »
applying helicopter tape to the cranks is a fiddly job, but had to be done. this involved youtube, steel rule, stanley knife, white spirit, soapy water and heat. i don't mind heel rub on silver cranks, but on black ones it doesn't look good.

after that, i assembled the bike and took it for an inaugural spin - wheeeee!! ;D big smile on my face :thumbsup:. acceleration is positively surprising - i guess due to a combination of direct drive (no mech), straight chainline, stiff bb and cranks, stiff and light wheels, latex inner tubes and pro3 race tyres.

few little jobs outstanding - cutting steerer tube, getting water bottle cages, wrapping bar tape (and maybe installing mudguards).

i might get longer axle bolts as the ones supplied with hubs are a tad short for these track ends, imo:

edit: mock view with a "cut" steerer:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #52 on: 26 May, 2013, 12:49:02 pm »
ok, few updates. cut the steerer tube, leaving the maximum recommended length underneath the stem, which puts handlebars 1cm higher than on my tried and tested audax bike. there's always an option to trim it further down or swap to a more horizontal stem.

then cut and installed brake cables (cable cutters are only good for mediocre result, i finished off the ends with a dremel and stanley knife - clean and square).

then the handlebar tape was applied over gel inserts - specialized one on the drops and a custom gel on the hoods (cut out of an old laptop bag shoulder pad). i hardly ever keep my hands on the flats, so no extra padding required there.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #53 on: 26 May, 2013, 04:22:19 pm »
went out for a ride today - beautiful morning, no luggage on the bike only a camera in my pocket. love london roads on bank holidays - hardly any traffic - bliss!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #54 on: 26 May, 2013, 04:26:14 pm »
That is absolutely gorgeous. Top work Zigzag!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #55 on: 26 May, 2013, 04:34:37 pm »
That is absolutely gorgeous. Top work Zigzag!

+1

less is more :thumbsup:

Chris N

« Reply #56 on: 26 May, 2013, 04:55:48 pm »
Very nice.  How close to 7.2kg did you get?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #57 on: 26 May, 2013, 06:22:18 pm »
thanks for your comments! (gorgeous bike must have chrome and flamboyant paint - in my books :) - this one has neither)

Very nice.  How close to 7.2kg did you get?

just weighed as it is in the photos; front wheel 1015g, rear wheel (inc freewheel) 1286g, the rest of the bike 4704g, which makes the total of 7005g. still many options to reduce weight, without a major expense.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #58 on: 26 May, 2013, 06:31:23 pm »
On the road at long last! :thumbsup:

A great project.  Well worth taking the time over.  Enjoy it.
Getting there...

« Reply #59 on: 27 May, 2013, 04:41:42 pm »
I say, couldn't help rubbing my knees when I saw it  :thumbsup:

You must have the lightest fixie in all audax-dom. I assume it will be doing a little randonneuring?

« Reply #60 on: 28 May, 2013, 08:24:37 am »
Suffering from bike envy :P

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #61 on: 02 June, 2013, 10:13:54 pm »
I say, couldn't help rubbing my knees when I saw it  :thumbsup:

You must have the lightest fixie in all audax-dom. I assume it will be doing a little randonneuring?

thanks, yes, it's perfect for long distance rides (except the hilliest ones), fairly relaxed geometry, comfy, no toe overlap. planning to take it on the ditchling devil next weekend. i rode 181km to whitstable (fnrttc) yesterday and was amazed how this bike climbs, shooters hill with tired legs at 22kph (vam 1360) - not sure i could match that on my geared bike (certainly have never before)!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #62 on: 07 September, 2013, 11:22:30 pm »
i've hit a big pothole on a ride earlier this week and buckled the wheel and bent the rim.. i was going to do a rim transplant today, but thought i'll have a go at repairing it first, nothing to lose anyway.

after spending couple of hours with pliers, hammer, spoke wrench, metal file, sandpaper and chocolate i reached a satisfactory result! it's not perfect as there is a flat spot ~1mm deep and spoke tension is not as even as it should be, but having tested the bike afterwards everything felt fine, braking smooth - i'll carry on riding the wheel as is through the winter and replace the rim before next spring/summer.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #63 on: 20 September, 2013, 11:43:30 am »
has the year gone by already?.. finally went to richmond park this morning for a three lap challenge. weather conditions were fine, road a bit damp so took it easy on the corners. first lap clear, second and third with some traffic in the way (held up for around 10s on each lap). it is hard to draw a direct comparison to a geared bike - my fitness is similar i reckon, i'm 4kg heavier now, so took an energy gel before the ride to compensate ;).

17:28
17:52
18:05
====
53:25

bike with clip-on aero bars and taller gearing (52x16), handlebars are too high, but cba'ed to lower them:

strava

« Reply #64 on: 20 September, 2013, 11:46:33 am »
Excellent ZZ. I've just moved very near RP so in due course, once I have unearthed my bike kit from the moving boxes and dusted down my bikes  :-[ , I hope to be spending a bit of time in there. I actually prefer this time of year as the park becomes moton-free at much more convenient hours.

Good job on that rim BTW.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #65 on: 27 June, 2015, 07:59:23 pm »
replaced the chainset yesterday with fsa sl-k light. applied some duct tape to hide the "bold" graphics, also to prevent from heel rub. the new chainset is lighter by almost 300g.
took it out for a ride to whitstable and back - all nice and smooth (i should ride this bike more often!).

« Reply #66 on: 30 June, 2015, 01:49:35 pm »
What's the bike's tonnage now?
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #67 on: 16 July, 2015, 01:11:16 pm »
all up weight is the same as before 7kg, as the lighter chainset is offset by heavier shimano m540 pedals and mudguards.

« Reply #68 on: 17 July, 2015, 09:40:54 pm »
Fair play, that's light! Definately lighter than mine which I think was around the 9kg before I added the mudguards, etc. It's the rims and dynohub/light that screw it up for me - without them then it would be a sub 8kg bike.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #69 on: 22 December, 2016, 04:20:38 pm »
the bike has got gears and power meter now and gained some weight in the process. a touch of red in order to stand out when riding in a group. 7.75kg as pictured (quite a difference from ss at 6.3kg).

« Reply #70 on: 23 December, 2016, 01:01:52 pm »
Why the move to gears?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #71 on: 23 December, 2016, 01:39:01 pm »
Why the move to gears?
for a change, to see how it rides with gears. i still have another ss bike which i use for winter riding.