Author Topic: Garmin Etrex 30 (Send course to device) ?  (Read 3259 times)

Wal

Garmin Etrex 30 (Send course to device) ?
« on: 13 May, 2014, 03:19:21 pm »
Ok, I am a patient man... I use chartplotters, radars etc in my daily working environment, however, I am losing the rag with the Etrex 30, is it pish? or am I just being blonde...  ;D

The problem: there have been many...

When I create a course in Garmin Connect (GC) like this one... http://connect.garmin.com/course/6566739#.U3Ilx6oQdgg.gmail it appears that it is not possible to send this to the device, to follow as a route.  :facepalm:

Do I have to buy the garmin specific maps in order for this function to be enabled?

I have tried downloading/uploading talky toaster and other brands as suggested by forum members, with no luck to date... I bought a blank SD card etc... nothing seems to work  >:(

Mmmm.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Garmin Etrex 30 (Send course to device) ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2014, 03:33:18 pm »
This is a limitation of Garmin Connect.
If you create a course, then you can only send it to a fitness device, eg Edge or Forerunner. You can't send it to an Etrex, or download it as a file.
It doesn't matter whether you have any maps loaded on the Etrex or not.

A workaround is to use this Chrome plugin: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gpx-downloader/dpamipdfplcigmapcdgckimdgpgjidcl
It will let you download it as a GPX file, which you can put on the Etrex.

Or just use another website or software. There are plenty other websites which are much easier and better than Garmin Connect for drawing routes, and most will let you send straight to the Etrex, or download a GPX file. Try Gpsies, or Bikehike, or Bikeroutetoaster, or GPX Editor etc.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2014, 03:39:32 pm »
Wallace,

I'm still a relative novice with the E30 and others wiser than me (Frankie) will be along with good advice but in the meantime I suspect your key problem is that you're using Garmin Connect. Although Connect does recognise the E30 in a clunky sort of way, it's really designed for the Edge series. The Edge recognises courses but the Etrex does not. Garmin basecamp works best with the Etrex, you can download it for free and then either import tracks or routes into it or create them in the programme. You can also convert tracks to routes and vice versa.  You don't have to use Basecamp as you can just copy a gpx file or track from your PC and drop it in the Etrex when connected to the PC but the advantage with Basecamp is that it allows you to see the number of routepoints etc and edit them in (you can do this elsewhere but I find it easier in Basecamp because it was designed with the Etrex unit in mind. 

Have you downloaded maps to the unit, if so you can see these when the unit is connected to Basecamp (that's another key issue, my understanding is that routing in particular works best when the route is created on the map you are going to use on the unit).  If you haven't then the Aukadia files will help http://www.aukadia.net/gps/ (as they will with all other aspects of the Etrex, written by Frankie).

Hang in there, it's a good piece of kit!

Wal

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2014, 03:40:40 pm »
This is a limitation of Garmin Connect.
If you create a course, then you can only send it to a fitness device, eg Edge or Forerunner. You can't send it to an Etrex, or download it as a file.
It doesn't matter whether you have any maps loaded on the Etrex or not.

A workaround is to use this Chrome plugin: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gpx-downloader/dpamipdfplcigmapcdgckimdgpgjidcl
It will let you download it as a GPX file, which you can put on the Etrex.

Or just use another website or software. There are plenty other websites which are much easier and better than Garmin Connect for drawing routes, and most will let you send straight to the Etrex, or download a GPX file. Try Gpsies, or Bikehike, or Bikeroutetoaster, or GPX Editor etc.

That explains it...

Thanks Fauran... i'll try the other course creators as suggested...

Kindest regards,

W.

Wal

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2014, 03:47:11 pm »
Wallace,

I'm still a relative novice with the E30 and others wiser than me (Frankie) will be along with good advice but in the meantime I suspect your key problem is that you're using Garmin Connect. Although Connect does recognise the E30 in a clunky sort of way, it's really designed for the Edge series. The Edge recognises courses but the Etrex does not. Garmin basecamp works best with the Etrex, you can download it for free and then either import tracks or routes into it or create them in the programme. You can also convert tracks to routes and vice versa.  You don't have to use Basecamp as you can just copy a gpx file or track from your PC and drop it in the Etrex when connected to the PC but the advantage with Basecamp is that it allows you to see the number of routepoints etc and edit them in (you can do this elsewhere but I find it easier in Basecamp because it was designed with the Etrex unit in mind. 

Have you downloaded maps to the unit, if so you can see these when the unit is connected to Basecamp (that's another key issue, my understanding is that routing in particular works best when the route is created on the map you are going to use on the unit).  If you haven't then the Aukadia files will help http://www.aukadia.net/gps/ (as they will with all other aspects of the Etrex, written by Frankie).

Thank you Jon... I'll have a look at the options... as for downloading maps, I gave up, nothing appeared to work, so I just use the standard maps on the device, which seem to cover most eventualities... I'll put some time aside to get to know this device a bit better...

Cheers,

W.

Wal

« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2014, 08:12:35 am »
Wallace,

Hi Jon,

I have had a look at creating routes in basecamp, but it is basic, there are only major roads, so I cannot plan my course on this format.

It is suggesting that I buy maps... as mentioned before, I'm back in the loop of not being able to download maps to my SD card... Looks like Garmin will win the day... I will have another look at Frankies link first though...

Cheers,

W.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2014, 09:47:46 am »
Yes the basic map you get with it is rubbish.  This is the page you want from Frankie's files http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lwg_32.htm which will put OSM maps on your Etrex and when it's attached via the USB this will show in Basecamp (I keep meaning to put it on the PC as well but haven't got round to it) be sure to follow the instructions carefully especially the bold and it will load okay (there is a section which describes the part of the process that most people get wrong and I ... you guessed it :-[).  Whichever method you use of creating routes, tracks etc getting a decent map on the unit is a good starting point.

The other alternative is to buy maps and I see that a number of people here have bought the Garmin City Navigator map, my understanding is that this will work better with routing and turn by turn instructions but I find OSM works very well so I'd suggest giving that a go in the first instance.

I got my E30 for Christmas and by New Year I thought I'd made a big mistake and wanted to bin it, now I'm very happy with it and still learning and exploring the 'best' routing method.

Wal

« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2014, 11:02:10 am »
Yes the basic map you get with it is rubbish.  This is the page you want from Frankie's files http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lwg_32.htm which will put OSM maps on your Etrex and when it's attached via the USB this will show in Basecamp (I keep meaning to put it on the PC as well but haven't got round to it) be sure to follow the instructions carefully especially the bold and it will load okay (there is a section which describes the part of the process that most people get wrong and I ... you guessed it :-[).  Whichever method you use of creating routes, tracks etc getting a decent map on the unit is a good starting point.

The other alternative is to buy maps and I see that a number of people here have bought the Garmin City Navigator map, my understanding is that this will work better with routing and turn by turn instructions but I find OSM works very well so I'd suggest giving that a go in the first instance.

I got my E30 for Christmas and by New Year I thought I'd made a big mistake and wanted to bin it, now I'm very happy with it and still learning and exploring the 'best' routing method.

Jon, once again, thanks for this, very kind of you...

I'll check out the link suggested...

Best,

W.

Wal

« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2014, 08:20:10 am »