Author Topic: Best website for creating gpx routes  (Read 5313 times)

Best website for creating gpx routes
« on: 06 November, 2016, 01:47:18 pm »
Could anyone advise me of the best website for creating gpx routes for a
Garmin Etrex 20. 

I used to use bikeroutetoaster but it doesn't seem to work anymore. It
is for a trip across Europe.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Re: Best website for creating gpx routes
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2016, 01:57:54 pm »
My standard response is http://cycle.travel/

« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2016, 02:03:25 pm »

And my standard response is to agree with the person who recommends cycle.travel before I get a chance

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2016, 02:09:08 pm »
I used bikehike.co.uk successfully for many years, as it's OS map pane was great for spotting paths that googlemaps had listed as roads. Unfortunately it's gone a bit flaky as it has been left up to its own devices.

These days I find ridewithgps.com to be excellent. It has a street view option so you can check out what roads look like etc. It also allows you to store routes. It's free too.

« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2016, 02:10:44 pm »

And my standard response is to agree with the person who recommends cycle.travel before I get a chance

...Then either rabbit or I will chip in for http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk, because we like the ease with which you can switch between different map sources, satellite and street views.

« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2016, 02:11:55 pm »
Ridewithgps.com does the same and is free.

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2016, 02:35:26 pm »
Okat, thanks.

I will look at all these options.

« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2016, 03:14:59 pm »

To  be fair, so is gpxeditor.  He has a couple of premium options (a decent 'shortest route' function and 'optimum') which cost.

ChillyPanda

« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2016, 04:09:10 pm »
I think gpxeditor looks good and has potential, but I'm not sure that its stable or mature enough yet for me to use as my go-to route planner.

Things I've noticed are that the help pages seem to be out of date, and it isn't clear exactly what the 'extras' are that the premium option gives you for your money.

That said, it is pretty intuitive, so just playing with the options for 10mins or so should be enough to figure it out.

RibbleRouser

« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2016, 06:55:24 pm »
Use it all the time, easy peasy,

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2016, 08:06:16 pm »
The Strava route planner can be good. It has the option of using routes popular for cycling.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2016, 09:29:28 pm »

I hadn't seen the cycle.travel site before

I asked it to send me from Tiverton to Exeter and it used the sustrans cycle routes.  Which are bloody hilly, twisty, muddy and generally not good

It avoided the obvious quiet A road

So TBH I won't be bothering with it again

« Reply #12 on: 06 November, 2016, 09:33:17 pm »
Another vote for RidewithGPS here, but I'm hardly a heavy user. It's pretty intuitive.
Rust never sleeps

RibbleRouser

« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2016, 08:39:17 am »

I asked it to send me from Tiverton to Exeter and it used the sustrans cycle routes.  Which are bloody hilly, twisty, muddy and generally not good

How strange, a cycle route planner suggesting a Sustrans route in preference to an A road !

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #14 on: 07 November, 2016, 10:17:17 am »
Mostly ridewithgps these days.  I used to use gpxeditor a lot but since getting a touchscreen (I don't actually use the touch screen) laptop, the drag re-routing has stopped working for me :(.   I never did get round to feeding that issue back to BenT.

(In the past I've been through bikely, mapmyride, bikeroutetoaster, bikehike and others.)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #15 on: 07 November, 2016, 10:42:39 am »

How strange, a cycle route planner suggesting a Sustrans route in preference to an A road !

Around here at least, Sustrans routes are not designed for actually going anywhere. 

RibbleRouser

« Reply #16 on: 07 November, 2016, 04:09:26 pm »

[/quote]

Around here at least, Sustrans routes are not designed for actually going anywhere.
[/quote]
Yeah, you can't beat local knowledge, but even so, personal preference plays a part as well, close to home the wife and I will take different routes, we usually compromise if we're riding together i.e. I follow her. But yes there is a section of the National Network near here that is avoided by everyone I know .

« Reply #17 on: 14 November, 2016, 12:50:49 pm »

I use it a lot. You can easily drag the route onto the A road if you want. The routes it's chosen for me, in places I don't know, have tended to be absolute gems. Of course I have no idea what I'm missing, but a route from Windsor to Bath had me routed along narrow, quiet lanes with so little traffic that I literally went hours without seeing a car and the centre lines of the roads were often overgrown, yet the surfaces perfectly good for 28mm tyres.

I love the way you can call up images from the route at random to check what the road surface looks like.

« Reply #18 on: 14 November, 2016, 05:13:49 pm »
I've been using BikeHike for years, and have found it continues to be the best option, perhaps due to familiarity on my part.

I have just checked out cycle.travel and it certainly looks interested. However, I cannot find a way to change from miles to kilometres. The navigation is an awkward mix of both, with overall distances in miles, but individual sections in metres. If it supports a metric view, I would certainly give it a go for plotting some of my routes.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #19 on: 14 November, 2016, 06:11:12 pm »
Create an account, units are a option in your profile.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #20 on: 14 November, 2016, 07:36:34 pm »
Create an account, units are a option in your profile.

Thank you ... that solves it

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #21 on: 04 December, 2016, 09:45:52 pm »
Mostly ridewithgps these days.  I used to use gpxeditor a lot but since getting a touchscreen (I don't actually use the touch screen) laptop, the drag re-routing has stopped working for me :(.   I never did get round to feeding that issue back to BenT.

(In the past I've been through bikely, mapmyride, bikeroutetoaster, bikehike and others.)
I had this problem and disabled the touch screen, now works fine.

GPS editor also has one feature I haven't found elsewhere, you can have multiple tracks, routes and way points in one file. I planned my trip to Scotland in a single file and these are usable on etrex. You can also do routes and track editing.

Oh I am going on, GPXEDITOR is my editor of choice, also if you pay you get shortest distance that is useful for audax.

BB

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 04 December, 2016, 09:50:03 pm »
GPS editor also has one feature I haven't found elsewhere, you can have multiple tracks, routes and way points in one file.

Mapsource/Basecamp

Also Memory Map, but it's only really any good for Waypoints and Tracks.

« Reply #23 on: 06 December, 2016, 08:24:51 am »
I use Ridewithgps the most often - good choice of maps, and google street view is very useful for checking on unfamiliar roads.  It can have a tendency to pick 'tracks', so careful checking is needed.  I do also like cycle.travel (esp. the map graphics), though it selects tracks/off-road (highlighted in green) a little too often for me.  Strava has a useful 'popularity' mode for creating routes, though no streetview, and might initially pick too much A-road content for some.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson