Author Topic: Garmin Edge 500 for long distance data logging?  (Read 3256 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Garmin Edge 500 for long distance data logging?
« on: 06 August, 2015, 04:41:20 pm »
couple of questions regarding edge 500. when connected to an external power source, can this gps log the ride continously for few days without crashing (unlike the 800 does after 300-400km)? is there a way to set the device so that it shows the tcx track, but doesn't actually do any navigation and turn suggestions on screen?
the reason i ask is that if i follow tcx or crs track it takes a long time to refresh and by the time it warns me about an approaching turn i'm already exiting it. sometimes the track line disappears completely for 5-10mins, then reappears. ideally i would like a simple line on the screen and a triangle (me) above it and beep 50m before a turn.

Re: Garmin Edge 500 for long distance data logging?
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2015, 10:49:13 pm »
I know you have to use a trick usb cable, but I've never gotten around to buying one, I just splice the files together afterward.

As I recall the 500 can do a standard breadcrumb trail, but it's been a while since I used one so I'm hazy on the details now. I think it was use a standard TCX file, obviously you'll not get turn warnings.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2015, 12:38:41 pm »
thank you. when you used tcx file - did you select the "course" and selected "map"? if i do that it shows a track with an arrow above, but i'm not able to scroll through pages. if i select tcx course and select "do course" then it shows me all the turns (normally when it's too late!) and beeps as well. is there any trick to show a track on the screen and also be able to scroll throught the pages?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2015, 01:40:45 pm »
thank you. when you used tcx file - did you select the "course" and selected "map"? if i do that it shows a track with an arrow above, but i'm not able to scroll through pages. if i select tcx course and select "do course" then it shows me all the turns (normally when it's too late!) and beeps as well. is there any trick to show a track on the screen and also be able to scroll throught the pages?

"map" is just a preview mode I think.  You are not navigating, you are essentially locked out of anything else until you leave that mode.  What you want is "show on map" (as opposed to "hide on map") - which you may find in the properties for each Course. (Or you may not - I'm not familiar with the 500 but when I played a bit with someone else's 800 I found you could do this, and colour the course too.)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2015, 11:14:29 pm »
thanks for the advice. unfortunately the 500 does not have the menu features of the 800; you can only select one of the following "do course / edit course / map / profile / delete course".

regarding charging on the go - the only solution (workaround) that worked so far was shorting contacts 4 and 5 inside the garmin's usb socket and using standard usb lead. it ran happily for few days sitting on my window sill (the backlight had to be set to 40% or above to keep the power bank on).

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2015, 08:02:41 pm »
I had similar problems with the breadcrumb trail disappearing and googled it to find that this is a common issue

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?27224-does-edge-500-actually-work-when-trying-to-follow-a-course

One of the things I've seen is to have the zoom level on the Edge 500 set to say 120m or greater so it's not continuously refreshing or auto zooming. I think the consensus is that the Edge 500 processor is rather poor and struggles to keep up otherwise.

Even doing this it can still struggle.

I use ridewithgps.com to plan my routes and you have the option to remove all the cue sheet if that is what you want so you just have the breadcrumb trail to follow - you could add your own cues where appropriate.

GPSies is also mentioned as you can reduce the no. of waypoints which is supposed to help but I never really got on with it.

I sometimes wonder if you are better to leave the Edge 500 on the cue sheet page as you get a distance countdown to the next 3 turn instructions.

You need to select DO COURSE and then in addition to your normal data screens (speed/distance etc) you will have 3 more screens to scroll through, a summary screen with a basic elevation map of the route, a cue sheet page (if generated when planning the route) and one showing a breadcrumb trail for you to follow.

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2016, 07:24:14 pm »
One of the things I've seen is to have the zoom level on the Edge 500 set to say 120m or greater

Do you know how to set the zoom level on the 500?

I've noticed the scale adjusting according to how far the virtual partner is ahead or behind... that slows down the display, and as it is continually adjusting it is hard to tell what you are looking at.

I recently asked Garmin if it was possible to turn of the virtual partner (a useless feature!) and the answer is "No."

BTW. I have found the turn-by-turn instructions to be both beneficial and reliable. I use bikehike, and while entering the turns is tedious, especially on long rides, it does pay. I stick the turns exactly on the corners and then add 150m when saving the file.

If 150m sounds like a lot - it isn't when bombing down a hill! Of course it is a compromise - in towns one instruction may come on top of another - I handle this by combining them in a text, eg. "bR L" (the same means as for entering "info"). Incidentally, those texts do not have the 150m added, so have to be adjusted to a position ahead of the junction - that is a shame as (more important than choosing >=< 150m), you want consistency so you have a good idea what to expect on the road, ie. do I turn at this junction or the next (a weak point of having no maps).

The coolest feature about the instructions is the GPS will light up at night (for about 10 secs) - so you not only get to read the instruction, but also be reassured you are on course and your GPS has not died!
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2016, 05:54:35 pm »

Do you know how to set the zoom level on the 500?

I've noticed the scale adjusting according to how far the virtual partner is ahead or behind... that slows down the display, and as it is continually adjusting it is hard to tell what you are looking at.

I haven't used it on Auto Scale for a long while but thought it changed scale as you got closer to a junction/turn.

To set the map scale navigate the Edge 500 to the breadcrumb screen. Press the 'Back' button and the zoom level option will come in to view. Use the up/down arrow keys to set the zoom level.

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2016, 07:45:44 pm »
Turn off auto scale and you use the buttons on the right to set the zoom. It remembers the zoom setting between switch ons. So you can set it and forget it if you like. Think mine is set to 500ft without switching it on. As to virtual partner pretty sure you can switch it off but it's been 3 years since I used courses on the 500. I found my 500 to be fairly reliable in terms of crashing unless on the course page. So if on any other page I haven't seen it crash on long rides. So as data logger probably yes, if navigating as well, I'd say no it'll crash or lock up eventually.