Author Topic: garmin 500 deleting files  (Read 1847 times)

garmin 500 deleting files
« on: 07 August, 2016, 08:21:13 pm »
Cycled to an audax. Reset the garmin then charged it. Recorded the audax. Reset the garmin then charged it. When uploaded to the computer, only the last ride was there. I didn't delete the first ride. Had it for thre years and is usually fine. Worked ok during the week when resetting it to use on different bikes. No watly did I delete the ride. Only the audax appears in the activities. Help!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Phil W

Re: garmin 500 deleting files
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2016, 08:42:46 am »
Haven't used my 500 for a while (it's in a drawer somewhere).  I found that I needed to press stop before switching off/ reset else it didn't save the ride.  But my memory maybe faulty on that and the firmware updates may have cured that feature since.

« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2016, 10:07:44 am »
Tested it yesterday. Pressed stop before reset on the outward and return legs. Both parts saved. Positive I did the same on Saturday, as I've found it slower to reset if I don't press stop. Hey ho!

« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:52:58 am »
Did seven days of cycling, the first and last days as DIYs from home to the CTC birthday rides. Stopped and reset the 500 at the end of each ride, then went back into it to check the last ride was in the activities log, which it was. After getting home, I uploaded to the home computer and only the last two rides uploaded. Turned on the 500, looked at the activities, and only the last two were showing. Looked to see if the five missing rides were hiding inside other files. Nope. Luckily, I used my etrex 30 each day, and all the rides were in the archive.

Only had problems losing files since upgrading to Windows 10 then reverting back when neither garmin would download routes for DIYs/events.

Could it be that the memory will only store so many rides now, I didn't press the option to delete old activities at any point. May buy a garmin 200/210 which logs rides.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2016, 08:31:41 pm »
What's the firmware version?  Revision list here.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2016, 10:01:54 am »
It is 3.3 up to date. I haven't deleted any activities since that week, and all the rides still show in the 500 itself. The only difference when I'm away is that I'm charging it up in bits at wall sockets. At home only when uploading to the home comp. I'll see how it goes. Got my eye on the 520 at £180+

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2016, 10:46:18 am »
If you plug it into a computer, how much free space is there on the drive?
Check in the Garmin/Activities folder, how many files are there? You could try deleting some of them.

« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2016, 10:54:55 am »
710 kb left. I delete activities and courses on the garmin regularly, and sometimes the computer tells me it needs to free up space. The 500 has given me five years of trouble free cycling.