Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 164557 times)

Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #250 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:27:57 am »
Quote from: macnark link=topic=93962.msg1975613#msg1975613 date=1453107473

Isn't Hopkinson on the Board of Directors of UMCA?
[/quote

No longer, but continues to function as "northern European liaison" apparently.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #251 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:34:33 am »
It's very unfortunate how the news has come out, and, for all his other qualities, I feel Chris Hopkinson has acted unprofessionally, and in a very unsporting manner.  I've unfriended him on FaceBook, which I imagine bothers him not a jot.

I am glad to hear Bruce is still riding, and I hope that he can set a mark that we can recognise, though, without the likes of UMCA and Guinness behind him, I imagine that there will be quibbles about the validity that will go round in circles forever, getting more and more heated.

Really not sure how this is going to turn out.  I would have thought UMCA would have checked appropriate systems were in place before the start, otherwise it becomes a farce.  Anyway, I wish him tailwinds and flint-free roads.
Getting there...

« Reply #252 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:34:56 am »
So who is officiating? Guinness?
Because he'll struggle to start each day where he finished the previous if he plans to return from Oz...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #253 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:36:12 am »
Quite.
Getting there...

« Reply #254 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:37:48 am »
It's very unfortunate how the news has come out, and, for all his other qualities, I feel Chris Hopkinson has acted unprofessionally, and in a very unsporting manner.  I've unfriended him on FaceBook, which I imagine bothers him not a jot.

I am glad to hear Bruce is still riding, and I hope that he can set a mark that we can recognise, though, without the likes of UMCA and Guinness behind him, I imagine that there will be quibbles about the validity that will go round in the narrow circles that comprise cycling clubs and online forumsforever, getting more and more heated while the rest of the world will just applaud the feat.

Really not sure how this is going to turn out.  I would have thought UMCA would have checked appropriate systems were in place before the start, otherwise it becomes a farce.  Anyway, I wish him tailwinds and flint-free roads.

FTFY

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #255 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:38:46 am »
Because he'll struggle to start each day where he finished the previous if he plans to return from Oz...

No. I suspect he is doing the crowd-sourced thing and just posting each day's total on Strava.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #256 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:39:37 am »

He's already fallen foul of the no drafting rule that Guinness insist on.

Eddington: 114 Miles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #257 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:40:28 am »

I am glad to hear Bruce is still riding, and I hope that he can set a mark that we can recognise, though, without the likes of UMCA and Guinness behind him, I imagine that there will be quibbles about the validity that will go round in the narrow circles that comprise cycling clubs and online forumsforever, getting more and more heated while the rest of the world will just applaud the feat.

FTFY
Normally I object to FTFY... ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #258 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:40:58 am »

Well Kajsa's planning on cycling in Denmark and Sweden, so there is presumably a mechanism for transport "jumps" in the Guinness protocol?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #259 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:41:20 am »
With the UMCA no longer recognising Bruce's efforts, I think he really needs someone to do so if he wants a claim on the most miles in a year. I am sure that there is no one on here who doubts his bona fides but suppose he does beat Kurt or, if Steve manages to pull something out of the bag, whatever total he makes? If no-one else makes a challenge for years afterwards, will anyone recognise it? The internet is still too young a tool for its historical significance, in this case based upon a collection of .gpx files, to be clear.

How much will Kurt's tracker files matter in years to come, if that is the sticking point?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #260 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:42:00 am »
There's always Wikipedia to hold records of achievements, irrespective of who has sanctioned them, and the space to add explanatory comment as to the whys and wherefores of the attempt.  That allows the reader to make their own judgement. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #261 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:44:01 am »
True. "Citation needed" could link to every .gpx file he uploads.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #262 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:47:31 am »
I see that Wikipedia has not bedn updated since Kurt broke the record.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #263 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:49:31 am »
Isn't Bruce writing for Bike Radar during the attempt? Could they (or one of their magazines) be the verifier?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

IJL

« Reply #264 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:50:14 am »
Without the UMCA or some other body it becomes a record validated by Strava, there are rules for a reason, they dont seem to be over complex.

I'm not sure its the UMCA's role to check that people are compliant before they start rather for people to read the rules and be sure they comply.  If this all about a lack of tracker i would wonder why. they are not expensive or complicated. 

If however the DQ is down to some bizzare (UCI style) technical issue the is does not present the UMCA in a good light, neither does the manner in which this has become public

« Reply #265 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:51:07 am »
Isn't Bruce writing for Bike Radar during the attempt? Could they (or one of their magazines) be the verifier?
That would make it very much in keeping with Tommy Godwin's.

« Reply #266 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:52:21 am »
I'm not sure its the UMCA's role to check that people are compliant before they start rather for people to read the rules and be sure they comply.  If this all about a lack of tracker i would wonder why. they are not expensive or complicated. 

It should also have come to light before he started, the rules state:-

Tracking/recording devices shall be tested at least two weeks prior to the start of the attempt to ensure that the Records Chairman will be able to access the data.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #267 on: 18 January, 2016, 10:06:17 am »

It should also have come to light before he started, the rules state:-

Tracking/recording devices shall be tested at least two weeks prior to the start of the attempt to ensure that the Records Chairman will be able to access the data.

The UMCA have been extremely accommodating/helpful to all the participants (the phrase "in the spirit" comes to mind).  Perhaps they should have been more rigorous in this case.

« Reply #268 on: 18 January, 2016, 10:29:40 am »
Bruce has got enough exposure and previous track record to show what he is capable of and should not worry about umca validation. if he beats the record (and i wish him all the best) it will be there for the future competitors to aspire to.

Unless people don't believe he has broken the record due to a lack of sufficient validation. Anyone could go out riding for a bit and then doctor their GPS files.

« Reply #269 on: 18 January, 2016, 10:36:45 am »
Or use tracker-faking software.
http://fakegps.com

« Reply #270 on: 18 January, 2016, 10:49:42 am »
Or get someone else to ride their bike for them while they have a quick break.  Or...

Sooner or later there's got to be some trust along the line.

« Reply #271 on: 18 January, 2016, 10:56:05 am »
AIUI the purpose of the tracker is so that they can potentially send someone out at random times to check that you are where you say you are, riding in accordance with their rules.

« Reply #272 on: 18 January, 2016, 11:00:07 am »
AIUI the purpose of the tracker is so that they can potentially send someone out at random times to check that you are where you say you are, riding in accordance with their rules.

And not only the UMCA but any member of the public.

« Reply #273 on: 18 January, 2016, 11:17:57 am »
I don't doubt for a second that he is doing the miles, but to claim a record I  think he has to have some form of external authentication. I think it is really short-sighted to think he can effectively go it alone and set a mark which will be universally recognised. It is a shame that he is continuing like this. I think the Bike Radar suggestion is a good one. At least some form of independent scrutiny is needed, and a set of rules for the attempt established.

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #274 on: 18 January, 2016, 11:23:33 am »
Anyone have experience of this?

http://www8.garmin.com/livetrack/

Seems like an easy enough solution and a good alternative to Spot Tracker, or am I beeing thick?
Live data must be preferrable to an end of day summary.