Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 165038 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #325 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:36:32 pm »
Checking the Guinness site, there's no mention of Bruce Berkeley or his claim for farthest distance cycled - either in a week or a month. The month record is held by Janet Davison, set in August 2015 at 6455km. There is no standing week record.

It would seem that Bruce's 'records' have not been ratified by Guinness, and now the UCMA have refused to oversee his year attempt because he 'can't afford' a SPOT tracker (cost £150) - though he can afford to go to Australia to ride.

I suspect that Bruce isn't comfortable with authority and its attendant beauraucracy, and simply can't be arsed to jump through their hoops. It's a shame, as his efforts will go unrecognised.

« Reply #326 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:38:34 pm »
It would seem that Bruce's 'records' have not been ratified by Guinness, and now the UCMA have refused to oversee his year attempt because he 'can't afford' a SPOT tracker (cost £150) - though he can afford to go to Australia to ride.

The danger with speculating is that it quickly gets quoted as fact.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

TimC

« Reply #327 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:41:56 pm »

In which respect am I speculating? His claim to hold two Guinness records is unsubstantiated - and I've checked Guinness' site, and he's not there. His DQ from HAM'R is a matter of fact, and it's been stated on Strava by a friend that he couldn't afford the tracker device (and doesn't have time to bother with the paperwork anyway).

« Reply #328 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:51:02 pm »
I know from Alan Bate, who set the round the world record after Mark Beaumont, that it took a long time for Guinness to validate his attempt. No idea what the case is with Bruce's one. 

« Reply #329 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:56:20 pm »

In which respect am I speculating? His claim to hold two Guinness records is unsubstantiated - and I've checked Guinness' site, and he's not there. His DQ from HAM'R is a matter of fact, and it's been stated on Strava by a friend that he couldn't afford the tracker device (and doesn't have time to bother with the paperwork anyway).

The reason for his DQ from HAMR is not known.

Can you point me to the Strava comment? The only one I've seen is the vague one posted up-thread which has no specifics.

« Reply #330 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:02:40 pm »

The reason for his DQ from HAMR is not known.

Can you point me to the Strava comment? The only one I've seen is the vague one posted up-thread which has no specifics.
Dear all - I know that Bruce doesnt have enough time to read all the posts, but also that he does really value everyones input. It make s ahuge difference to him. Let me expand a bit further - just help complete the picture for you (and I am sorry for those that know him - I dont want to tread on any toes). Bruce is doing this on 'bare bones'. He has literally no 'actual' support. The excellent and generous sponsors (Shimano, Stages, Garmin, Continental, Canyon, Assos, sorry I have forgotten some I am sure) have provided product for him to use, but there is no money here. Further more, he is lucky to have friends who allow him to stay at their houses - in many cases, he is couch surfing. He gets off his bike every day, after 11-13hrs, and has to maintain it himself. He feeds himself, he goes to the shops to buy food for tomorrow, then he gets up and starts again. So he has the tools to do the job. But really almost nothing else. No support. Noone following in a car, no mechanic, no chef, no wife, no-one with a spare set of bidons to grab as he pushes out 11hrs a day. The HAMR business is a real shame - but Bruce pretty much has no energy nor time to attend to it now that he is 'in' the attempt. Crowd-funding is something we (as a group of friends) have discussed. He does need some support. The technology and the cost have been a distraction that he cant afford. None of us have any experience in it to be honest. If anyone really can help - in some capacity - then I am happy to help coordinate this on behalf of Bruce - who (feel free to check my FB, or Bruces) is an old friend of mine. Please email me direct on anthony.shippard@gmail.com if you have any ideas or want to discuss further. Brucey - I know I didnt talk to you about this last night, but I also know you will be cool with it. Keep riding brother. Lets see how we can all help

my emphasis

« Reply #331 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:06:53 pm »
The normal reading for that would be that he can't afford the distraction,rather than the device  but it isn't conclusive.

« Reply #332 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:10:29 pm »
Yes, that's the vague non-specific one I was referring to.

I guess I have a different standard of 'proof' than some others.

TimC

« Reply #333 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:13:44 pm »
The fact that the cost is mentioned along with the comments that he's doing the attempt on a 'bare bones' basis and that 'there is no money here' and that crowd funding has been discussed leads me to believe that Bruce has decided he can't afford the Spot tracker, and had hoped that Strava tracking would be sufficient. I don't think it's an unreasonable inference.

« Reply #334 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:15:13 pm »
How hum. I don't have a great deal of sympathy. He announced some time ago that he was going to make the attempt. There was plenty of time to sort all the shit out before he started.

« Reply #335 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:20:18 pm »
I remember the monthly record attempt last year.  Looking at the various articles, it does specifically refer to a Guinness Record (as well as the weekly record also being a Guinness one).

http://road.cc/content/news/141773-bruce-berkeley-rides-nearly-10000km-january-set-new-guinness-world-record

« Reply #336 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:23:54 pm »
The fact that the cost is mentioned along with the comments that he's doing the attempt on a 'bare bones' basis and that 'there is no money here' and that crowd funding has been discussed leads me to believe that Bruce has decided he can't afford the Spot tracker, and had hoped that Strava tracking would be sufficient. I don't think it's an unreasonable inference.

Sure, I don't think it's an unreasonable inference, but it's still an inference.

« Reply #337 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:25:05 pm »
I remember the monthly record attempt last year.  Looking at the various articles, it does specifically refer to a Guinness Record (as well as the weekly record also being a Guinness one).

http://road.cc/content/news/141773-bruce-berkeley-rides-nearly-10000km-january-set-new-guinness-world-record

Articles about the actual month record holder emphasise the proof.
Having satisfied the criteria set, using GPS tracking, video evidence and log book signing, Janet must now submit a lot of evidence to Guinness World Records, which they must verify before the record is official.

Sending out a press release that you've done the distance is not the same as satisfying the criteria for the record.

TimC

« Reply #338 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:29:22 pm »

Sure, I don't think it's an unreasonable inference, but it's still an inference.

This isn't a court of law, and no-one's died. We are not looking for forensic standards of 'proof'. It is stated in the public domain that Bruce is unfunded and has little or no help. I believe that to infer from his friend's statement that he can't afford a Spot tracker (nor the time to set it up) is reasonable in the context of trying to determine what has gone wrong between Bruce and the UCMA. If you regard that as unfounded speculation, I'm sorry. What would you suggest we do?

« Reply #339 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:31:06 pm »
I've now read Chris Hopkinson's posts on Bruce's facebook page.

Disgracefully unprofessional, rude and childish. Incredibly so.

His connection with UMCA discredits the organisation.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #340 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:32:51 pm »
Sorry to but in, but what involvement has bike radar with Bruce?

Are they going to print reports on his progress for possible money?

Couldn't they publish a crowd funding effort for Bruce?

Just thinking.

« Reply #341 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:47:04 pm »
I've now read Chris Hopkinson's posts on Bruce's facebook page.

Disgracefully unprofessional, rude and childish. Incredibly so.

His connection with UMCA discredits the organisation.

What about his connection with Steve!

« Reply #342 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:47:13 pm »
I'd be pretty miffed if I was a Guinness record holder and someone came along claiming the same record without having done any of the groundwork to have it verified.
Did road.cc write an article on the current Monthly record holder? I wonder what the current status is of Bruce's Guinness Record? Claiming it without it actually being verified is a bit rich.

« Reply #343 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:51:44 pm »

This isn't a court of law, and no-one's died. We are not looking for forensic standards of 'proof'. It is stated in the public domain that Bruce is unfunded and has little or no help. I believe that to infer from his friend's statement that he can't afford a Spot tracker (nor the time to set it up) is reasonable in the context of trying to determine what has gone wrong between Bruce and the UCMA. If you regard that as unfounded speculation, I'm sorry. What would you suggest we do?

You could put "I think" or "In my opinion" before the sentence so that someone doesn't read it and think it's fact and go off and quote it elsewhere. It's quite simple.

If a SPOT tracker was required then the rules should state that, rather than "Live Tracking" device that needs to be approved by the UMCA Records Chairman. I think it came down to Bruce trying to argue that Strava Active Friends satisfied the "live tracking" requirement, and the UMCA saying they wouldn't approve that. Neither was willing to budge and so the UMCA had no choice but to do what it did. But, again, this is just my guesswork.

I'm sure you'll agree that this is another way the facts/statements could be read, in which case it's not quite the case of him being DQ'd because he couldn't afford a SPOT tracker.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #344 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:58:11 pm »
another 7 day record claim
No mention of Guinness there either, is it the modern way that if you get a road website to publish it, that's good enough  ???

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/yorkshireman-richard-nutt-breaks-world-seven-day-distance-record-175854

« Reply #345 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:59:48 pm »
The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

TimC

« Reply #346 on: 19 January, 2016, 02:01:37 pm »

Just thinking.

i had a feeling he was doing a blog for them, but I can't find any reference to that.

« Reply #347 on: 19 January, 2016, 02:04:49 pm »
I'd be pretty miffed if I was a Guinness record holder and someone came along claiming the same record without having done any of the groundwork to have it verified.
Did road.cc write an article on the current Monthly record holder? I wonder what the current status is of Bruce's Guinness Record? Claiming it without it actually being verified is a bit rich.

I wonder what Janet Davison could do in the 24? She looks to have the right build.

« Reply #348 on: 19 January, 2016, 02:05:48 pm »

Just thinking.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/bruce-berkeley-cycle-doctor-year-record-attempt-45898/

Bruce will be blogging exclusively for BikeRadar throughout his record attempt, so stay tuned for more.

Can't find any of his blogs on the site though.

TimC

« Reply #349 on: 19 January, 2016, 02:17:13 pm »

You could put "I think" or "In my opinion" before the sentence so that someone doesn't read it and think it's fact and go off and quote it elsewhere. It's quite simple.

If a SPOT tracker was required then the rules should state that, rather than "Live Tracking" device that needs to be approved by the UMCA Records Chairman. I think it came down to Bruce trying to argue that Strava Active Friends satisfied the "live tracking" requirement, and the UMCA saying they wouldn't approve that. Neither was willing to budge and so the UMCA had no choice but to do what it did. But, again, this is just my guesswork.

I'm sure you'll agree that this is another way the facts/statements have could be read, in which case it's not quite the case of him being DQ'd because he couldn't afford a SPOT tracker.

I'm sorry, but I'm not submitting my posts for prior approval by you or anyone else. You are free to take issue with anything I say, as is anyone else, and I can argue my position - as I have done. If I want help wording my posts, I'll be in touch.

Now, HAM'R Rule 7 also states that the approved tracking and recording devices should be tested two weeks in advance of the start to ensure that the Records Chairman can access the data. So this should have been sorted by 17 December last year. I stand by what I opined about Bruce's attitude to authority - and the mysterious 'Guinness world records' he's supposed to hold.