Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 167484 times)

Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #625 on: 23 January, 2016, 04:08:23 pm »
I'm sensing another Miles TBH, albeit one who is very good at riding a bike

I was going to post the same! Miles v2

At least Miles managed to get his attempt logged with the UCMA. Three times.

« Reply #626 on: 23 January, 2016, 05:06:56 pm »
I really do hope this sorts its self out.  Would be a desperate shame if this becomes a "not quite verified" attempt.  Pat Hawkins almost certainly beat Billie Dovey's record, but history does not recognise her because verification of every last mile did not stand.

Good luck Bruce. :thumbsup:
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #627 on: 23 January, 2016, 05:57:42 pm »

Bruce said hello to me on PBP. He never mentioned he was going for the year record. He did look like a very strong rider though and I do wish him luck, regardless of his ride being official or not.

What was he doing at PBP? I can't find him in the results.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #628 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:19:40 pm »
AIUI he's going to present his evidence (Strava uploads and a few photos a day mostly) to Guinness after the ride and ask them to recognise it as a record.

In much the same way that he did this for the week and month records which he has claimed but which aren't listed on Guinness' website at all.

Good luck to him if this is his plan.

Yeah, it's weird this rather delusional blind spot in his approach.

As others have said, it must take a certain, highly unusual, degree of downright stubbornness to take on this momentous challenge. In Mr. Berkeley this appears to manifest itself as a rather ego driven cussedness, a bombast that is ultimately self defeating. He clearly wants to be recognised as the record holder, but can't be bothered with following rules or doing the necessary admin in order to gain "official" recognition. As such, despite heroic efforts, if he does exceed Kurt's mileage his "record" will remain unofficial, even if it is "recognised" in the popular cycling press, and amongst Strava users.

The psychologist in me wonders whether this is a "best of both worlds" situation.

Going for this record is a massively daunting challenge - Steve alluded to this in his television interview just before he started on 1/1/15. Bruce is, or would be, a strong candidate for the record with just a little organisation about him. If he succeeds in riding further than Kurt did in a 12 month period, he can point at his achievement on Strava and claim the record (in his view). If he doesn't succeed (and we have seen what a monumentally difficult challenge this is with the two magnificent riders we have been following for 12 months, so there is a very good chance that he won't) then he can quietly forget all about it - it will never have happened.

Bruce said hello to me on PBP. He never mentioned he was going for the year record. He did look like a very strong rider though and I do wish him luck, regardless of his ride being official or not.

What was he doing at PBP? I can't find him in the results.

Perhaps he didn't officially enter that either, but just "went along for the ride"?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #629 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:20:49 pm »

What was he doing at PBP?

Riding a bike ?

« Reply #630 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:29:44 pm »

What was he doing at PBP?

Riding a bike ?

It's a public road of course, maybe we can see his Strava track for that period. That will prove that he's just as good as any of the participants.

Anyone ride along, although obviously you might be attracted by the prestige of an event that others have spent a lot of time setting up, qualifying for, or both.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #631 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:38:05 pm »
Maybe you should send him an email and ask him ?

« Reply #632 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:41:54 pm »
I was thinking he could send a Strava track to ACP, and claim the medal retrospectively.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #633 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:43:26 pm »
He can have my medal if Wobbly doesn't want it to throw darts at.

simonp

« Reply #634 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:45:36 pm »
According to his Strava he was having a go at the record for the 7 day lejogle record but his knee blew up and he abandoned.

Now we know his secret - he must have a twin brother.

« Reply #635 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:50:49 pm »
Maybe it's a franchise. You can send out for any unverified record you feel like.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #636 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:55:54 pm »
That's a bit harsh, he hasn't tried to claim the 7 day lejogle record.  Just a simple case of mistaken identity which is why he didn't mention the year attempt to Steve.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #637 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:58:13 pm »
This is a lot more fun than watching Norwegian telly.

« Reply #638 on: 23 January, 2016, 07:03:42 pm »
Maybe there's twins, Bruce and Dave.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #639 on: 23 January, 2016, 07:09:31 pm »
Maybe there's twins, Bruce and Dave.

Bruce recently emigrated to Australia. Dave is currently in training for the UK leg, and did an "unofficial" PBP last year.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #640 on: 24 January, 2016, 05:42:27 pm »
So which one is the ex-Elite Sigma Sport racer, Bruce or Dave?
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #641 on: 24 January, 2016, 05:47:09 pm »

British Cycling lists David...
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #642 on: 24 January, 2016, 05:53:08 pm »
He can have my medal if Wobbly doesn't want it to throw darts at.

You'll have to prise that SR medal from my cold, dead hands.

Apart from my first PBP SR hunk of metal that one's my most treasured.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #643 on: 24 January, 2016, 06:04:24 pm »
You can have my PBP 2015 medal to throw darts at, is what I meant.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #644 on: 24 January, 2016, 06:10:21 pm »

British Cycling lists David...
Could simply be like my Dad. James Raymond Ferry, Always known as Ray, appears as James on all official forms.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #645 on: 25 January, 2016, 09:31:47 am »
road.cc have caught up with the news. Buried in the congratulations article for Kurt (http://road.cc/content/news/176223-kurt-searvogel-awarded-guinness-world-record-distance-cycled-year) is this:
Berkeley set off on his attempt on 1 January this year, and Guinness World Records  confirmed to road.cc on Thursday that it will monitor his efforts.

A spokesman told us: “Guinness World Records can confirm that they have received a record application from Bruce Berkeley for the greatest distance cycled in a year.

“We wish him the best of luck throughout his record attempt and look forward to receiving his evidence so we can verify his evidence in the near future.”
and
It had been reported here on road.cc and elsewhere that Berkeley already held Guinness World Records for the greatest distances cycled in a week and in a month.

That turns out to be incorrect
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #646 on: 25 January, 2016, 10:07:19 am »
I'm beginning to think he's another Steve Coogan creation.

hillbilly

« Reply #647 on: 25 January, 2016, 11:22:50 am »
Bruce is coming across as a conceited fantasist, who feels his talent gives him certain entitlements.  Not my type of chap, really.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #648 on: 25 January, 2016, 12:08:26 pm »
Some interesting comments on that article including this reiteration of the Guinness rules:

I registered this category with Guinness World Records early last year and have provided the guidelines below. I hope this answers everybody's queries.

Greatest distance cycled in a year (male)

Record definition

This record is for the greatest distance cycled within one year (365 days).
This is to be attempted by a male individual.
This record is measured in kilometres to the nearest 0.01 km, with the equivalent imperial measurement also given in miles.

Rules for Greatest distance cycled in a year

1. This record is for the greatest distance cycled within one year (365 days).
2. The same commercially available, unmodified bicycle must be used throughout the attempt. Repairs, such as tire replacement and chain replacement, etc. can be made but the frame must remain the same. If the bicycle is damaged beyond repair, video and photo evidence and an explanation of what happened must be submitted. It is up to Guinness World Records to decide if the reason is accepted.
3. Any route can be taken during the attempt.
4. There is no minimum daily distance but participant must cycle unaided.
5. The rider must ride for the complete year (365 days) from start to finish - i.e. should a rider not be able to go on for whatever reason, he/she may not be replaced.
6. The cyclist may be followed by a support vehicle but at no time between the start and finish of the journey may the participant or his/her bicycle be transported by this vehicle. If any of the support vehicles must travel in front of the cyclist they must be at least three vehicle lengths in front.
7. The entire journey must be tracked by an accurate, professional GPS device carried by the rider. As part of the evidence submitted, a printout of the GPS tracking data must be submitted. This must show the route taken, daily start and finish times, daily start and finish locations, and daily distances covered. .kml files must also be submitted.
8. Drafting: During the attempt, the challenger is not allowed the aid of drafting. If the challenger is travelling with a support vehicle or other rider(s), the challenger MUST remain a minimum distance of 5 bicycle lengths from the support vehicle or any other rider(s). The challenger must not travel next to the support vehicle or any other rider(s) throughout the attempt. If this rule is not followed, the challenger’s attempt will be disqualified.
9. A witness log book must be made available for independent witnesses to sign. The book should be set up so that each witness includes their name, the location, the date and time, their signature and their email address or phone number. For an attempt which is supported by a backup team, we would expect it to be possible to gain sufficient numbers of independent witnesses to enable verification for the entire duration of the attempt.
10. A log book should also be kept by the challenger. This is essentially a diary, and should include a) daily start and stop points; b) daily distance covered; c) any rest days taken; d) any notable occurrences during the attempt.
Bruce can challenge the drafting rule, I wonder if he is keeping a witness log? If not he's going to be down to just the GPS and the fact he doesn't have the week & month suggest that is not sufficient on their own.
A printout of the GPS tracking data will be a tad weighty.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #649 on: 25 January, 2016, 12:17:05 pm »
People are being harsh on Bruce. Calling him a conceited fantasist? Really? I feel the more everyone speculates on this forum the more nasty the tone becomes. We saw this with Steve attempt up until he called it off.

Road.cc have confirmed guinness are officiating Bruce's attempt, whether Bruce is ticking all the i's and crossing all the t's is absolutely irrelevant to anybody on this forum, as long you trust he is legitimately putting in the miles, what's it matter?