Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 167877 times)

Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #875 on: 04 February, 2016, 02:28:17 pm »
His tweets haven't been making the Canyon Bikes page, which tends to suggest that he's not garnering enough interest. https://twitter.com/canyon_bikes

Or that they are keeping their powder dry. If he succeeds, they've bought a lot of promo for their £3K or whatever. If he fails, nobody needs to know about it.

« Reply #876 on: 04 February, 2016, 02:34:04 pm »
Bruce's bike is £5k+ worth, one of the top of line aeroads isn't it?

« Reply #877 on: 04 February, 2016, 02:35:34 pm »
His tweets haven't been making the Canyon Bikes page, which tends to suggest that he's not garnering enough interest. https://twitter.com/canyon_bikes

Or that they are keeping their powder dry. If he succeeds, they've bought a lot of promo for their £3K or whatever. If he fails, nobody needs to know about it.

Or they've twigged that most of the discussion is about the way he's being recorded, rather than the ride itself.

« Reply #878 on: 04 February, 2016, 02:48:49 pm »

...not cost to the manufacturer

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #879 on: 04 February, 2016, 02:57:22 pm »
Well I hope he's okay, and this is just a technical hitch.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #880 on: 04 February, 2016, 04:31:35 pm »

...not cost to the manufacturer

No but its a bike that could have been sold so whatever the cost was to build + the profit from sale is what they have invested.

« Reply #881 on: 04 February, 2016, 08:56:04 pm »
No sign of Bruce on Twitter still :(
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #882 on: 04 February, 2016, 10:59:03 pm »
A simple Tweet saying "GPS problems" or similar would put people's minds at ease, surely.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #883 on: 04 February, 2016, 11:17:36 pm »
Well, this is turning out a bit like the speculation regarding Steve last month.

I suppose the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that Bruce has packed it in.
For his sake I hope not, but whatever the issue is I hope it's not a serious health problem.
Embrace your inner Fred.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #884 on: 05 February, 2016, 04:57:26 am »
He posted yesterday. His Feb challenge now shows 625k in 4 days this month. Last comment "Still on the pedals, not right though."

Whatever the whys and wherefores of the validity of his record attempt, achieving only one-third of your target mileage only 5 weeks into the challenge does not augur well. I would suggest that any cyclist who has a record of injury to key body parts will suffer a recurrence sooner rather than later when attempting >300k every day, and Bruce hasn't hung around, either in terms of speed or hilly terrain.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #885 on: 05 February, 2016, 05:15:08 am »
102.7km posted for the 3/2/16 - Morning Ride, Knee issues again :-(
105.6km posted for the 4/2/16 - Morning Ride, on the pedals still not right though

red marley

« Reply #886 on: 05 February, 2016, 07:57:28 am »
I think the uploads may have changed slightly as I now see no ride on the 4th Feb, but a couple on the 5th.

A few low milage days really illustrates the merciless cruelty of the challenge. All that effort climbing above the Searvogel line with a month of impressive riding is wiped out and more.

"Time trials are won, not by riding fast, but by not riding slow"

« Reply #887 on: 05 February, 2016, 08:15:51 am »
Comment from someone on strava next to his ride...

" Craig Northam - buckitbelts.com
Just to put something straight here guys - Guinness has always been officiating Bruce's records. They ratified his one-week record (recently broken, but only by 5km!) and his one-month record (here in Adelaide last year); and they continue to be his official record overseers. They are much more world recognized than the UMCA and are the gold standard for world records - just ask the average person in the street which one they've heard of - Guinness or UMCA! :)
 45 minutes ago "

Im not really interested in a debate on UMCA or Guinness ...but I am interested in if this statement is true or not?

Has it been proven if Guinness are ratifying his record attempt (if so where are the rules or confirmation of this)
Have Guinness now ratified his previous attempts?

Nothing against Bruce but im interested in the year record, not just watching someone eat miles on Strava (as hugely impressive as this is)  It would be nice to know if this is a record attempt, or just a very long ride with sponsorship?

« Reply #888 on: 05 February, 2016, 09:11:23 am »
I think that statement is complete bollocks.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

paul851

« Reply #889 on: 05 February, 2016, 09:19:08 am »
He's posted on Facebook this morning that
Hard start morning, shorter day on the pedals fixed the head
@lazerhelmets @LakeCycling @assos_com @boydcycling https://t.co/f0ceJJcxSy

Paul

« Reply #890 on: 05 February, 2016, 09:52:15 am »
Comment from someone on strava next to his ride...

" Craig Northam - buckitbelts.com
Just to put something straight here guys - Guinness has always been officiating Bruce's records. They ratified his one-week record (recently broken, but only by 5km!) and his one-month record (here in Adelaide last year); and they continue to be his official record overseers. They are much more world recognized than the UMCA and are the gold standard for world records - just ask the average person in the street which one they've heard of - Guinness or UMCA! :)
 45 minutes ago "
Janet Davidson is down as the month record holder on their website.
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/118987-farthest-distance-cycled-in-one-month
Im not really interested in a debate on UMCA or Guinness ...but I am interested in if this statement is true or not?

Has it been proven if Guinness are ratifying his record attempt (if so where are the rules or confirmation of this)

Nothing against Bruce but im interested in the year record, not just watching someone eat miles on Strava (as hugely impressive as this is)  It would be nice to know if this is a record attempt, or just a very long ride with sponsorship?
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/118987-farthest-distance-cycled-in-one-month
Guinness only recognise Janet Davidson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #891 on: 05 February, 2016, 10:30:19 am »
I sent an email to the GBR website enquiring whether a challenge had been lodged by Bruce Berkeley. I received a form response which gives the impression that they will only respond if I set up an account and log in, which ICBA to do.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #892 on: 05 February, 2016, 10:38:38 am »
Glad to see he's back posting rides again, even if they are well below what is required at least it shows he hasn't been knocked off or similar :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #893 on: 05 February, 2016, 11:14:43 am »

I don't think so. As already pointed out by Freya, Janet Davidson is still listed by Guinness World Records as the Month Record holder. Guinness don't appear to list a "distance cycled in one week" record at all, that I can see, and David (aka Bruce) Berkeley doesn't appear to hold any Guinness recognised records ...

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/search?term=berkeley

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #894 on: 05 February, 2016, 12:08:17 pm »
I think the uploads may have changed slightly as I now see no ride on the 4th Feb, but a couple on the 5th.

A few low milage days really illustrates the merciless cruelty of the challenge. All that effort climbing above the Searvogel line with a month of impressive riding is wiped out and more.

"Time trials are won, not by riding fast, but by not riding slow"

+1 - the numbers are almost as merciless as the challenge.  Every day in which only 100 miles is ridden adds approximately 0.3 miles a day to the every other day in the year, and a blank day 0.57 miles per day.  So a half dozen bad days can mean the average for the rest going up to 210, 211....
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #895 on: 05 February, 2016, 01:06:26 pm »
couple of pics of Bruce from Beardy McBeard pulled from Instagram

looks like a Black/Orange Canyon Ultimate as opposed to the murdered out Canyon Aeroad from earlier in January

hillbilly

« Reply #896 on: 05 February, 2016, 01:27:40 pm »
<Channels Skyrim>
I used to be a record contender like you, then I took an arrow to the knee.

« Reply #897 on: 05 February, 2016, 06:49:51 pm »
couple of pics of Bruce from Beardy McBeard pulled from Instagram

I'm damn well impressed with the doughnuts he's been leaving on the tarmac. That is some power!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #898 on: 05 February, 2016, 09:52:12 pm »
Is it just me or is this attempt just looking dooooooooomed!

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #899 on: 05 February, 2016, 10:20:18 pm »
I think all attempts must look doomed at some point or other. That's the nature of the Massive Challenge involved.