Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 165216 times)

Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #950 on: 10 February, 2016, 02:27:50 pm »
....and lots of others do on his behalf, too ;)

« Reply #951 on: 10 February, 2016, 02:50:03 pm »
Just to set the record straight: Kurt does not and never has used steroids. He is naturally a big person (and getting bigger now that he is not riding much, lol).

Anyone who says he does has no honest credibility in such a remark and is fooling his own ego - pitiful.
well, quite.

The suggestion was 'justified' by saying kurt was too big after the year. Yeah, a muscular guy nicknamed Tarzan has muscles, whodathoughtit?

I don't think bruce will appreciate such utter sh!te being put on his strava page.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #952 on: 10 February, 2016, 03:00:55 pm »
I made a resolution this year not to read the bottom half of the internet (ie the comments section) because it makes me too angry.

Unfortunately you actually find a lot of the good info is in comments .... Its just so sad that you have to wade through a sea of retards offering up entirely uneducated and ignorant opinions as facts.

Those comments on Kurt would be laughable - if they were not libelous!

« Reply #953 on: 10 February, 2016, 03:28:03 pm »
Reading Strava comments can be addicting entertainment. I know I've been easily sucked in like it's some guilty pleasure. This is awful, but I almost look for the tool of the day and who will get the "banana award" for the most ridiculous comment.

The best thing I ever did was pick you as my crew. The best thing I ever did was pick you as my rider.

« Reply #954 on: 10 February, 2016, 03:48:59 pm »
Kurt can just grin and polish his world record.  :-D
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #955 on: 10 February, 2016, 05:40:16 pm »
Reading Strava comments can be addicting entertainment. I know I've been easily sucked in like it's some guilty pleasure. This is awful, but I almost look for the tool of the day and who will get the "banana award" for the most ridiculous comment.

;D

VEGAN POWER!!!!!!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #956 on: 10 February, 2016, 07:17:50 pm »
 who will get the "banana award" for the most ridiculous comment.
Is this a real thing?!? I may have to dig out my Strava login details.  :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #957 on: 10 February, 2016, 07:35:21 pm »

On Strava someone commentated "keep peddling your machine". Is he selling it already?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #958 on: 10 February, 2016, 07:37:10 pm »

Yes, but on Eurostrava it's straight.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #959 on: 10 February, 2016, 09:22:02 pm »
Is that actually THE durianrider?

Any oik can register on Strava with whatever similar name and cause a stink - and there are quite a few  who have snuck out from under rocks just to piss people off with their negativity and destructive attitudes.

If it is the better-known durianrider, (and I suspect it is, looking at his strava stats) then bad on you, you old roo-scrote.

« Reply #960 on: 11 February, 2016, 09:41:46 am »

Any oik can register on Strava with whatever similar name and cause a stink - and there are quite a few  who have snuck out from under rocks just to piss people off with their negativity and destructive attitudes.

If it is the better-known durianrider, (and I suspect it is, looking at his strava stats) then bad on you, you old roo-scrote.

Why did you bother with the bold bit? Your second paragraph shows you clicked his profile, so obviously it is the durian rider. How many oiks amass 20,000 followers and rides on the back of Chris froomes wheel.

« Reply #961 on: 11 February, 2016, 10:03:37 am »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #962 on: 11 February, 2016, 10:06:33 am »

Why did you bother with the bold bit? Your second paragraph shows you clicked his profile, so obviously it is the durian rider. How many oiks amass 20,000 followers and rides on the back of Chris froomes wheel.

Why did you bother to post at all? ;)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #963 on: 11 February, 2016, 10:56:19 am »

I didn't bother with the bold bit, you did that. Didn't bother me at all :-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #964 on: 11 February, 2016, 11:01:54 am »
Returning momentarily to Bruce and his ride, he is currently lying 11th in the Strava rankings for February with scarcely more than 120k per day to his name.

That's somewhere in the region of 1500 miles to make up.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #965 on: 11 February, 2016, 12:31:05 pm »
It is possible that he's still riding and just gone totally stealth due to the trolling and incessant queries about adherence to rules. He could still be gathering .fit files to submit to Guiness next Jan.

Personally, I don't think that's the way Mr Occam would be leaning.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #966 on: 11 February, 2016, 12:42:03 pm »
I think it's definitely possible that he's keeping his own records to himself and still going as well as he was a month ago, but I somehow doubt it very much.

In any case, even if he is and does succeed and claim the record from Guinness (which I very much doubt that they will accept anyway, though I don't actually know) who is going to believe him if he's keeping his data to himself? Especially when he already claims to have a non existent record and another record that has been proven to be invalid as well as bettered by several others and credited to someone else by Guinness?

Sadly, I think that this thread will merge into the "Fading away" thread in "The Pub" section of this forum... :(

« Reply #967 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:04:52 pm »
He hasn't really lost any speed, just riding shorter distances. Could it be that he has smartened up and is planning a restart under UMCA rules?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #968 on: 11 February, 2016, 01:33:04 pm »
He hasn't really lost any speed, just riding shorter distances. Could it be that he has smartened up and is planning a restart under UMCA rules?

I doubt it. If he were planning to do this, then surely it would be in his interests to tell people. After starting the year with a great deal of goodwill, he has allowed much of that to evaporate.

hillbilly

« Reply #969 on: 11 February, 2016, 02:38:56 pm »
The way to convince people your record is valid is not to squirrel away the data from public scrutiny.  With this in mind, and anticipating that Bruce isn't daft, and that a big part of his "play" was public scrutiny through social media, I strongly suspect he isn't hiding data and that the simplest explanation (that he's either on haitus or packed) is probably the right one.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #970 on: 11 February, 2016, 02:59:47 pm »
Not only is he being coy about the record attempt, he seems to be thouroughly enjoying his current rides of 40-80km. I'd say it's all over.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #971 on: 12 February, 2016, 10:11:58 am »
Holy crap.  I don't follow him on Strava these days, but just looked in to see if he was still rolling (and it looks like he is not currently).  Some of the shit in the comments is pretty unreal!  I know, I know, don't read the bottom half and all that and I am largely shielded from the crazies by only being in (relatively!) sensible fora such as this, but bloody hell!  It's made me reconsider my attempt on the year record, and I have reluctantly decided not to move forward with the idea.... ;D

Properly amazing.  I've always found the long-distance world to be largely full of optimistic people who encourage and congratulate others.  When it opens itself up to comment from those outside that world, shit goes wild it seems.

I might have to go and lie down a while. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #972 on: 12 February, 2016, 11:28:05 am »
Holy crap.

These seem to be people who are too dim to read and comment on the Daily Ma!l.

« Reply #973 on: 12 February, 2016, 12:06:11 pm »
A certain mystique built up over the 75 years of the Godwin record. But The Year has now been demystified, and broken down into its constituent parts. The technical, physiological, psychological and validatory components have all been subject to minute inspection.

There's bound to be a desire for a hero to come along and put the mystique back into the record, probably through some sort of 'purity'. A similar process has been at work in 'The Hour'. Moser put the cat among the pigeons there, by gaining the record at altitude with an aerodynamic bike. Boardman's 'Superman' record is an outlier, and a record with footnotes is a bit naff.

I don't think there will ever be an unequivocal answer to the 'purity problem'. A closed circuit or velodrome record makes a prisoner of the candidate, and the public seem to like at least the illusion of the 'Freedom of the Open Road'. That romantic idea of 'liberty' has been relentlessly sucked out of Bruce's attempt by critics of his validation strategy. However, there was a paradox in the way that Bruce needed shackle himself to the Guinness idea, and to Strava to gain profile.

I still idealise a round-the world-trip that would transform my understanding in some way, a redemptive journey, and I think there are a lot of people who project that sort of notion onto the Year riders. I'm old enough to realise that I can't just 'bivvy' my way around the world, but there are enough folk out there with the 'perfect trip', only in their heads, who like to find fault, and to express themselves over bile-flecked keyboards.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #974 on: 12 February, 2016, 02:54:30 pm »
Wasn't Obree the 'Superman'?
Getting there...