Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2490906 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #17225 on: 25 July, 2015, 04:58:19 pm »
Hmm, massive headwind this morning, to the point where I couldn't get into second gear on a stretch where I normally dance around the edge of spinning out of second or grinding third.

I'm about to get back on the bike. Looking at the sky, I'm very much regretting cleaning Lady Bertie.  :facepalm: Oh well, I suppose it fits my theme of wearing black heavy-weight jeans on the hottest day of the year and shorts on the wettest day of the year ::-) ;D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #17226 on: 25 July, 2015, 08:21:15 pm »
Hmm, massive headwind this morning, to the point where I couldn't get into second gear on a stretch where I normally dance around the edge of spinning out of second or grinding third.

I'm about to get back on the bike. Looking at the sky, I'm very much regretting cleaning Lady Bertie.  :facepalm: Oh well, I suppose it fits my theme of wearing black heavy-weight jeans on the hottest day of the year and shorts on the wettest day of the year ::-) ;D

Hmm, that went better than expected - Lady Bertie and I remained dry the whole way. Saw a poor chap who'd been hit and run by a vehicle at Bricklayers, he looked a little banged up but mostly OK and chatting to police as I cruised by, I asked if he wanted any help with his bike, but he declined.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #17227 on: 27 July, 2015, 12:06:32 pm »
Was more difficult than it ought to have been this morning, even with the wind. I suspect tyres.

Front tyre? OK
Rear tyre? Possibly under-inflated, don't think enough to make a difference
Spare tyre? Over inflated. That'll be it  :'(

fuzzy

« Reply #17228 on: 28 July, 2015, 10:57:21 am »
First en velo commute in over a fortnight this morning. Back twinged a bit as expected but, 'kinell- shape doesn't take long to go AWOL does it :-[

« Reply #17229 on: 28 July, 2015, 11:05:44 am »
I had to take a brief stop on the commute this morning, the traffic was completely log jammed through a council designed traffic calming system that consists of parking vehicles on alternate sides of the road.

The problem was that the empty recycling box had blown into the road in one of the sections where the traffic can pass each other and vehicles in one direction were queued back from the parked cars and in the other from the box back passed the parked cars. When I got there the driver was just undoing her seat belt to get out and move the box. I rather beat her to it as I parked on the pavement along side

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #17230 on: 28 July, 2015, 01:03:49 pm »
One of those annoying passes this am. The car behind me overtook with just enough room to pull up in front of me and behind the parked car on our side of the road, while waiting for the oncoming traffic to pass. The annoying bit is that if the car hadn't overtaken me, I could have carried on, there being plenty of room for me to pass the parked car.

It's one of those thoughtless manoeuvres that gets me disproportionately tetchy, but small potatoes in the grand scheme.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #17231 on: 29 July, 2015, 08:33:35 am »
That happens all the time, often when I can get in front, but then I think to myself, where would I prefer to have that prat? If front, or behind me again? No contest.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #17232 on: 29 July, 2015, 09:51:38 am »
Wore my winter jacket this morning. It's July FFS  ::-)

« Reply #17233 on: 29 July, 2015, 12:51:30 pm »
I wore mine y'day and didnt overheat. Braved a tee-shirt and gilet today though which was bertter

ian

« Reply #17234 on: 29 July, 2015, 01:14:28 pm »
Yesterday was day of the stupid. Numerous close passes and aggressive drivers, the usual revving when they're behind, and then hyper-acceleration within a millimetre of my back wheel the moment the see a sliver of space. I'm where I am because it's not safe to pass, would it really hurt to slow down for the few seconds it takes to find a safe passing point? Apparently. Even when I bothered to give way to drivers, it seemed that it was all too much to acknowledge the gesture with a nod or a thank you. Yes, fuckwits, that me stopped to let your fat car out.

Got a bit fed up with the roads so tootled along the Thames (headwind!) and down the Wandle on the way home. Which was enlivened by the stupid on bikes - I suppose stupidity is a universal constant. Firstly in Wandsworth, waiting at the lights, next to a girl on a bike, small gap between us. Lights change and straight through that gap goes Speedy Lycra Boy, scaring the hell out of her, and whacking my handlebars (fortunately due to my haphazard measuring skills, I once-upon-a-time overtrimmed my handlebars, so there's a good inch of bendy grip hanging out). Was there a 'sorry'? Nope. I couldn't be arsed chasing and killing him.

Then later, further down the Wandle, there's a bike path with poor sightlines at the best of times, but they're knocking down the flats by it, so there's now hoardings on the path, reducing visibility around corners to nil. Fortunately I was going slow and heard the approach, but two cyclists came flying around a corner ahead of me, entirely oblivious that there could have been anything on the other side. I got a doppler-shifted sorry as they continued at full speed. I hope they get eaten by crabs.

I thought I'd take the back route along the A22, but at that time of day it seems to a horrid rat run for drivers too impatient to use the A22. I won't make that mistake again. I think I have to agree with other comments about Croydon drivers.

Frankly, it was relief to finally grind up my driveway.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17235 on: 29 July, 2015, 01:48:15 pm »
The little Duck commuted both ways on his Islabike Rothan today. He's ridden it home a couple of previous times but he's never done both before. Unfortunately this mean I didn't ride as I was acting as footman. I predict a lot of me not riding for the next year or so. :)
Hooray!  :thumbsup: For little Duck if not for you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #17236 on: 30 July, 2015, 12:29:52 pm »
Another one yesterday. Stopped at the lights on Tooley St outside the Hilton next a couple of other cyclists. There's an old man crossing and just about in front of us and the lights go amber. Even the taxi behind waits. Not so the cyclist that comes flying through on the outside, not slowing down a jot, swinging in by me and in front of the old man, scaring the bejesus out of him. Probably a few centimeters clearance. A cyclist probably in his late twenties, all the gear, not an escaped estate monkey on a stolen bike expanding his repertoire of anti-social activities.

I had to opportunity at the lights on Tower Bridge Road to ask him if he felt proud to have done that. 'The lights had changed' was the response like that made it alright. I don't know what is a matter with people.

« Reply #17237 on: 30 July, 2015, 01:18:40 pm »
Another one yesterday. Stopped at the lights on Tooley St outside the Hilton next a couple of other cyclists. There's an old man crossing and just about in front of us and the lights go amber. Even the taxi behind waits. Not so the cyclist that comes flying through on the outside, not slowing down a jot, swinging in by me and in front of the old man, scaring the bejesus out of him. Probably a few centimeters clearance. A cyclist probably in his late twenties, all the gear, not an escaped estate monkey on a stolen bike expanding his repertoire of anti-social activities.

I had to opportunity at the lights on Tower Bridge Road to ask him if he felt proud to have done that. 'The lights had changed' was the response like that made it alright. I don't know what is a matter with people.

There are some quality twats on Tooley Street. The heady mix of rush hour people crossing the roads at will and in between stationary buses all the way to the traffic lights and the never ending u turns of taxis are the main reason why I avoid it and go down Tower Bridge Road instead.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17238 on: 30 July, 2015, 05:47:36 pm »
Today's commute was by train to Nuneaton for our regular top up of mangy speak phrases interspersed with some pointless Deth By PowerPoint.
Anyway, we didn't get left hooked as we left MC, nor were we hooted and revved at by a goods train as we paused at Coleshill Parkway.
Quite a pleasant journey there and back really.

Now, if we could just loose the bit in between...........
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17239 on: 30 July, 2015, 06:59:45 pm »
I hope, for the other bloke's sake, it wasn't a commuter race this evening. Everytime I glanced behind, he was still there - for about 5 miles. But he was on a road bike and lycra-ed up while I was in my office garb with a briefcase on the rack. I wore myself out somewhat in my determination not to concede ground! Why do I do that to myself?

« Reply #17240 on: 30 July, 2015, 07:34:45 pm »
I hope, for the other bloke's sake, it wasn't a commuter race this evening. Everytime I glanced behind, he was still there - for about 5 miles. But he was on a road bike and lycra-ed up while I was in my office garb with a briefcase on the rack. I wore myself out somewhat in my determination not to concede ground! Why do I do that to myself?

Izzit that you're a badass cyclist?  ;)

Pancho

« Reply #17241 on: 30 July, 2015, 09:10:35 pm »
You've never ridden with me, have you? :)

I'm not even a cyclist. I own no lycra, bidons, or track pump. I'm a POB and Proud!

« Reply #17242 on: 30 July, 2015, 09:40:36 pm »
Rode in this am with a well spoken gent on a beautiful Cervelo S5 with Enve 50mm carbon rims (£2k?) and electronic shifting. Now I like a nice bike but am not fussed about 'aero' or power but this was aero everywhere and it seemed to just glide along. I was on 48x19 on the Tempo and I had to work harder to keep up but traffic was light so it was a good ride. My back hurt just looking at the bike but the bike and the kit on it was lovely. The owner was a a steady rider :thumbsup: so no racing or stupid traffic manoeuvres, just a fastish speed and steady

« Reply #17243 on: 31 July, 2015, 08:02:35 am »
Chilly today! I always end up with a sweaty back, but needed the 3 layers I had on at some points. It's always chilly riding into Olveston, compared with Newport and even the empty A48.

I need to get used to the fact that headwinds on the way home are the norm for the area. I think we're forecast another 15mph today, which is ridable but annoying all the same. I felt like I really emptied the tank on the ride home on Wednesday, so I'm moderately fatigued today. I have 2 bottles of strong ale waiting at home though, there has to be a reward for this masochistic behaviour.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #17244 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:40:13 am »
first day back after the holiday and boy was it cold.

All compounded by a puncture, and then the bloody wheel would not go back in the drop outs.

Hopefully OK for the way home.

fuzzy

« Reply #17245 on: 31 July, 2015, 01:48:41 pm »
On the way home last night a gear change went a bit weird and everything stopped turning. I looked down to see a knot in my chain?

« Reply #17246 on: 31 July, 2015, 02:00:46 pm »
On the way home last night a gear change went a bit weird and everything stopped turning. I looked down to see a knot in my chain?

OK, I thought it was odd when my chain slipped off crank-wards (instead of towards frame) on Weds, but that's... weird?!  ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17247 on: 31 July, 2015, 02:04:20 pm »
Stiff link or worn chainring, combined with finite amounts of improbability, I'll wager.

Pancho

« Reply #17248 on: 31 July, 2015, 04:02:55 pm »
Nice rides AM and PM - but where did that chill morning come from?

« Reply #17249 on: 31 July, 2015, 07:31:35 pm »
Nice rides AM and PM - but where did that chill morning come from?
It was a lovely and clear last night, with a (very nearly) full moon.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."