Author Topic: Calshot velodrome trip Sunday 24th February 2019  (Read 4689 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Calshot velodrome trip Sunday 24th February 2019
« on: 23 August, 2018, 08:04:23 pm »
Anyone interested?  It's about £280 for 90 mins' exclusive use of the velodrome (no regular trackies to sneer and swear at you) and it's a more fun track than Newport IMO - 1/7km and very steep banking.  Or could try and book a double session.  We'd need about 12 people and I can certainly get a handful from work.

Calshot is vaguely near Southampton (fast roads nearly all the way, for Londoners), opposite the poetically beautiful Fawley oil refinery.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Calshot velodrome trip
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2018, 08:12:30 pm »
I'm definitely up for this, I've done a bit of fixed wheel sruff in Portsmouth years ago and only live on the norther edge of the Forest.
Reine de la Fauche

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2018, 08:36:45 pm »
Depends on the date but sounds interesting. I don't think I've ever ridden such a short track. I assume it has bikes for hire.

A 3 hour double session would probably kill me. There is a limit to how long I can hold the minimum speed needed to enjoy a velodrome and it is way less than 3 hours.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:00:04 pm »
The taster sessions lose a bit of time at the start while people get used to a bike with no brakes and no freewheel.  Yes, they pretty much expect you to use one of their hire bikes, although a proper track bike* can be used if you have one.  Bring your own pedals (must be single-sided to avoid ripping up the track if you crash) as otherwise it's clips and straps.  You also need a helmet and mitts or gloves.

I'll give them a call and see what they have available.  I know the 7th October had a choice of two free 90 min slots when a colleague checked this week.

*by which I mean something with track ends, a reasonably high BB - Manchester standard is 11" but I've never seen them get a tape out - and no sticky-out braze-ons

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:27:55 pm »
I commute 50-65km on fixed most weekdays, so no freewheel isn't much of a drama. There is an old Carlton track iron with inch pitch chain in the garage that I've never ridden but I'd have to glue on new tubs. My Eddy Merckx Columbus PS track bike is in Oz unfortunately.

07 October works for me, after the Richard Ellis 200 on Saturday.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2018, 12:47:04 pm »
Could very well be interested. What sort of time?

(I've done a Newport taster session, complete with the dreaded toe-straps  :facepalm: )Might make a nice mini-tour to use up my underestimated annual leave glut  :facepalm:

(you driving down Rog? ??  :P )

Grim un-cheery stuff:
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2018, 12:54:52 pm »
Calshott is great fun, short track, very steep.  Everyone I went with said something along the lines of, "Feck!" when they saw the banking for the first time.

The last few miles to Calshott are a bit fiddly.

I did the taster session which meant only 2 people at a time on track so i wouldn't be worried about a 3 hour session being too much.  You get plenty of rest.  I wish I'd booked a double session tbh.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2018, 03:32:20 pm »
Calshott is great fun, short track, very steep.  Everyone I went with said something along the lines of, "Feck!" when they saw the banking for the first time.

The last few miles to Calshott are a bit fiddly.

I did the taster session which meant only 2 people at a time on track so i wouldn't be worried about a 3 hour session being too much.  You get plenty of rest.  I wish I'd booked a double session tbh.

I had a peek when I went to the climbing wall with my sister etc.  My first thoughts on looking down from the railing were exactly "Feck!"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 25 August, 2018, 10:12:13 pm »

Where is the fun in that? I am hoping for swapping fast turns and rubbing elbows.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2018, 07:41:03 am »
Yep Calshot is small - I've ridden Manchester and Newport (once with Chris Hoy & Jamie Staff, really!) quite a few times and they are pretty steep and tight but Calshot is like an elongated pudding basin.

The Calshot track is the old one that they used to use for the Skol 6 day events at Wembley way back when - they chopped a bit out of the straights to get it to fit in what was the old Sunderland seaplane hanger.

Rob

rogerzilla

« Reply #10 on: 26 August, 2018, 08:30:07 am »
Yep Calshot is small - I've ridden Manchester and Newport (once with Chris Hoy & Jamie Staff, really!) quite a few times and they are pretty steep and tight but Calshot is like an elongated pudding basin.

The Calshot track is the old one that they used to use for the Skol 6 day events at Wembley way back when - they chopped a bit out of the straights to get it to fit in what was the old Sunderland seaplane hanger.

Rob

It was the Skol track (I rode on it in the 1980s, when one chap went "over the top"; pamicked, and was hanging by his hands from the netting they used to have up there).  They totally rebuilt it in the late 90s, though.

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 05 September, 2018, 12:36:25 pm »
Could I please have Sundays you can do in Oct and Nov?  Have managed to get work to front the cash for the booking but we can take outsiders if they pay their way (we have to as well!)  Expecting £20 each or less.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 05 September, 2018, 01:06:18 pm »
14 and 21 Oct, 18 Nov are out for me. Others are good so far.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2018, 06:43:09 am »
This will be Jan/Feb now.  I need the cycling club at work to front the money, hence the delay - I can't book until I can pay them in full.  The cost will be about £38 but that is for a double, 3-hour, session and exclusive coaching for 10 people.

« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2018, 06:45:24 pm »
No worries, I can wait.
Reine de la Fauche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2018, 06:59:12 pm »
Good work 'zilla. I was a little slow in commiting as I have quite a lot on in next 2 months, and wanted to keep my options open :P

Jan/Feb are usually grim, so this should be a nice treat. I may have to depend on a lift down though ...  #fairweatherhardrider
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 20 September, 2018, 07:43:33 pm »

Rob

I’ve seen Tony Gowland ride on the vertical advertising hoarding at the top of the banking at Calshot.

If you press on a bit the g forces are interesting. I rode my ex-Skol ( not mine originally obviously) bike on Calshot, and kept hearing a strange rubbing noise as I hit the banking. The black mark on my down tube gave the game away, the forks were coming back under the force, and the front wheel was rubbing on the down tube ( it was a very tight clearance bike, and made for someone a bit lighter than me).

It was the Skol track (I rode on it in the 1980s, when one chap went "over the top"; pamicked, and was hanging by his hands from the netting they used to have up there).  They totally rebuilt it in the late 90s, though.

rogerzilla

Re: Calshot velodrome trip Saturday 26 January 2019
« Reply #17 on: 28 September, 2018, 03:13:30 pm »
The date is now January.  Two or three places left, £37.60 for three hours' exclusive use.  First come first served.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 28 September, 2018, 03:22:10 pm »
Any particular date in January?

rogerzilla

« Reply #19 on: 28 September, 2018, 08:13:47 pm »
It's in the title!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 28 September, 2018, 09:22:31 pm »
Any particular start time?

rogerzilla

« Reply #21 on: 28 September, 2018, 10:02:28 pm »
Will check tomorrow.  It's on my work email but I did bring the laptop home.  1pm or 3pm, I think.

« Reply #22 on: 28 September, 2018, 10:10:48 pm »
The date is now January.  Two or three places left, £37.60 for three hours' exclusive use.  First come first served.

I'd like a space please if there's one left.
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

rogerzilla

« Reply #23 on: 30 September, 2018, 07:59:59 am »
The slot is 2-5pm.  I will confirm on Monday if it's booked for us.

rogerzilla

Re: Calshot velodrome trip Sunday 24th February 2019
« Reply #24 on: 02 October, 2018, 11:52:39 am »
We lost the January slot.  It's now Sunday 24th February at 2pm.  4 places available.  Please PM me if you want to go.