Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105058 times)

Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #525 on: 07 August, 2016, 07:24:55 pm »
That looks fab, thanks for putting the route together - one for my little 'Cambrian Series' collection!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #526 on: 17 September, 2016, 11:07:40 am »
CET is on business in Brazil so if you have any cards to be validated last minute for the season over the next two weeks, don't worry, I'll be back on 1 October to process them.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #527 on: 25 September, 2016, 02:28:32 pm »
Thinking about bunking off taking some time off in lieu on 13th October to do a Monmouth or Chepstow based Cambrian permanent, most likely the 2A, if anyone is interested.  Will be driving over from Basingstoke and back, so a bit of a smash and grab raid. 

For those of you worried about my abiity to attract rain to Audax events, its probably worthwhile staying away from mid-Wales on that day.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #528 on: 11 October, 2016, 08:31:33 pm »
Time for new year's resolutions - how about christening a ride that's never been completed before.   Since I took over the Cambrian Series they've grown from 20 routes to 35 with the addition of 10 100s, a 200 (at the request of an American randonneur who wanted one from Dolgellau and never rode it - although others have enjoyed the 2J), 2 400s (actual two halves of the new 800) and the mighty 1000km and a bit of the C10A.  The last of the new hundreds was completed recently, leaving the following events still seeking their first rider, although all have been attempted.   

CS4A:    (AAA 5.50, 5,400m)   Llangollen - Prestatyn - Mold - Conwy - Ffestiniog - Bala - Llanidloes - Machynlleth - Llangollen.
CS4E:    (AAA 6.00, 6,000m)   Brecon - Knighton - Welshpool - Bala - Machynlleth - Rhayader - Tregaron - Hay-on-Wye- Brecon
CS4F           (AAA 6.75, 6,800m)   Aberdare – Hay-on-Wye – Knighton – Llanidloes – Devils Bridge – Builth Wells – Aberaeron – Llandeilo – Aberdare  (I tried and failed this one in 2016 so might be thinking about another go)
CS4G   (AAA 6.75, 6,670m)   Llanidloes – Bala  - Montgomery – Corwen – Llansannan – Llanberis – Machynlleth - Llanidloes
CS6B:    (AAA 0.00, 6,575m)   Chepstow - Hay-on-Wye - Montgomery - Mold - Conwy - Ffestiniog - Montgomery – Llanwrtyd Wells – Hay-on-Wye - Chepstow.   (ironically the flattest one of the lot!!)

PS - have just validated the first completed Cambrian ride of the 2017 season.  Enjoy the ride!

« Reply #529 on: 11 October, 2016, 08:36:45 pm »
As feared I have gathering dust a 4F card, so as this passes right by my front door (I think) it might be on my list for 2017....
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #530 on: 11 October, 2016, 08:41:16 pm »
It's quite sobering that riders have attempted all 5 of those, but none have finished!

(think I'll stick to the 2/300s. One down so far, might take me a while ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #531 on: 12 October, 2016, 03:57:53 pm »
As feared I have gathering dust a 4F card, so as this passes right by my front door (I think) it might be on my list for 2017....

I forgot to wave as I went past the juntion.  That's probably the bad karma that led to me not finishing  :facepalm:  However, we did ride the back road up the Hafren valley and then cutting across the moors to the A44 between Llanidloes and Devil's Bridge, which really should have restored such karma, unfortunately it also did my head in!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #532 on: 28 November, 2016, 10:11:15 pm »
Plenty of entries rolling in - especially for the 100s over Christmas.  The 1F is getting good reviews from those attempting it.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #533 on: 24 December, 2016, 02:22:01 pm »
@Colin:
The outline map isn't showing for me on this page: https://crazyenglishtriathlete.wordpress.com/2011/12/27/cambrian-series-new-1000km-permanent/

(I haven't tried your other pages today.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #534 on: 24 December, 2016, 09:53:36 pm »
I think I've fixed it.  I seem to have a talent for not being able to attach pictures to internet pages (I've never got it to work on yacf).  However, have reinserted a link that works for me.  It does give fond memories of the old Google maps where you could put in more than 10 waypoints  ;D  So treasure this outline  map; it is impossible to replicate  :face palm:

I'm definitely not giving it a go in 2017, the current plan is 11 Whitchurches in 1300km which delightfully covers a chunk of Wessex rides, some old Tavistock routes and a bit of the Dartmoor devil, some classic Cambrian series rides and a chunk of the Mersey Roads 24 course - so a sort of soup to nuts Menu Gastronomique of Audax.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Mrs CET suggested it as a laugh so it has sort of got her blessing  :smug:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #535 on: 24 December, 2016, 10:09:59 pm »
I can never load pictures on YACF either - does any one have a flow chart explaining how?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #536 on: 26 December, 2016, 08:39:29 am »
I can never load pictures on YACF either - does any one have a flow chart explaining how?
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=367.msg7323#msg7323 Point 5

It's actually very very quick-n-easy to do ... provided you have already put the picture on another website somewhere! If you're starting from scratch, that is the slow part  :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #537 on: 26 December, 2016, 10:22:12 am »
On the google map of the 2B what is the side wiggle between Brecon & Builth Wells?  It's not mentioned as a control point.  Cafe worth knowing about?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #538 on: 26 December, 2016, 03:07:39 pm »
I didn`t do the maps but do know the area and IMHO it`s a spuriosity ! There`s no café or pub that I know of there, looks like a farm driveway only
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #539 on: 28 December, 2016, 07:51:57 am »
Cheers James, entry in.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #540 on: 08 April, 2017, 05:50:03 am »
On the google map of the 2B what is the side wiggle between Brecon & Builth Wells?  It's not mentioned as a control point.  Cafe worth knowing about?

The Google maps were just a response to people who wanted some idea of where the rides went, not a gospel gps route.  As Google maps evolves with more data it gets harder and harder to actual get a cycle route to work, and as you are only allowed 10 way points, it becomes a nightmare.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #541 on: 08 April, 2017, 05:51:24 am »
If you do the Cambrian 1H you will find that Hundred House is closed (both pub and shop) but people have found innovative ways to get proof of passage such as selfies emailed to the organiser.  Technology is wonderful.

« Reply #542 on: 22 April, 2017, 10:17:48 pm »
I enjoyed the 2B today and would recommend it as a day out. The only problems were a
puncture and a seized front hub. Luckily the bike shop in Abergavenny were able to sell me a cheap 2nd hand wheel and to post the seized one up to The Lakes.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #543 on: 23 May, 2017, 10:27:58 pm »
A few notes as the entries keep coming in.

495 Cambrian Series entries since I took the events on from Peter Coulson.  Who will be rider number 500?

There was another go at the 4C this weekend - but halfway through 8000m of descending disc brake pads were done-in.  This iconic ride continues to master man and machine.   

Am starting to work on a 6C, carefully crafted to reach 10,000m ascent.  Any takers?

« Reply #544 on: 23 May, 2017, 10:36:31 pm »
Am starting to work on a 6C, carefully crafted to reach 10,000m ascent.  Any takers?

Yeah, just as soon as this pile of fresh brake parts have been installed onto the ultra bike :)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #545 on: 25 May, 2017, 10:42:46 pm »

Yeah, just as soon as this pile of fresh brake parts have been installed onto the ultra bike :)

Well, here's a first thought - needs some detailed checking - but adding a loop of Bala - Abergele - Llanberis - Denbigh - Mold - Llangollen to the 4C route and removing the Bala - Llangollen link, would add about 3000m climbing and 180km so turning the 4C into a 6C at 617km and 11,000m climbing.  Which I think would qualify for one of those 10,000m+ 600k permanents with a 50hr time limit??

Ho hum.  I'll get working on it.  Who's the new AAA man.  They'll need to put in some overtime on this one!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #546 on: 26 May, 2017, 03:16:14 am »
Time limit for a Super Randonnee is now 60 hours and a perm will only become a SR600 if Sophie Matter of the ACP agrees with the 'value' of the route.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #547 on: 26 May, 2017, 07:53:11 am »
Who's the new AAA man...

http://www.aukweb.net/official/contacts/

(scroll down and look under "Event Services Director")

« Reply #548 on: 26 May, 2017, 09:12:11 am »
Time limit for a Super Randonnee is now 60 hours and a perm will only become a SR600 if Sophie Matter of the ACP agrees with the 'value' of the route.

An ACP sanctioned British SR600 would be great. I'd definitely ride it ... just saying  :)

« Reply #549 on: 28 May, 2017, 05:47:05 pm »
If you do the Cambrian 1H you will find that Hundred House is closed (both pub and shop) but people have found innovative ways to get proof of passage such as selfies emailed to the organiser.  Technology is wonderful.

Not so, I cycled past pub today and most definitely open !