Author Topic: Important Survey - Bank Junction  (Read 1639 times)

Important Survey - Bank Junction
« on: 21 November, 2017, 10:35:26 am »
There's no doubt Taxi drivers will be stirring things up to get people to respond - please complete and share as widely as possible!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/bankonsafetyconsultation

Re: Important Survey - Bank Junction
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2017, 10:08:10 pm »
To fill in the detail for the benefit of those who may not have known what is going on.

Bank Junction in London is rated as one of the most dangerous for cyclists. I have personal experience of this, having been mown down by a DUKW driver a few years back. Earlier this year City of London, as an experiment, closed the junction during the day to ALL traffic except buses and cycles, much to the chagrin of taxi drivers.

It is now an extremely pleasant and basically non-threatening junction.

City of London are now running a survey (linked above) to inform their decision to make the ban permanent. It would be beneficial if all interested pedestrians and cyclists voiced their opinions, it is certain that taxi drivers will be trying to influence the decision to reopen it.

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2017, 10:24:13 pm »
I've only used the junction a few times since the change, and find it vastly improved for cycling and also pedestrians. So, survey completed, and requested notification of the follow-on survey that will follow sometime later.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2017, 10:45:24 pm »
Done. I am in the vicinity every day now, so am very keen to keep this scheme in place. I will forward it to everyone in the office tomorrow morning. (The office where we launched the BUG just yesterday and already have 27 members out of a workforce of about 120.)
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2017, 11:00:17 am »
I'm fed up of consultations and surveys. City of London, go stand at Bank junction. Not shit, is it? Was it shit before. Yes. If you want actual evidence rather than opinion, then measure it. Count cars, bikes, people, measure pollution, look at accident rates, even hand out calibrated questionnaires random to people in the area. But stop fucking asking for a meaningless opinions. Of course if you tell motorists that can't drive down a street, they'll hate it. If you tell cyclists they have to push their bike somewhere, they'll hate it.

Honestly, councils, make some fucking decisions. All these do is bring out special interest groups and excuse your responsibilities.

(Not a gripe at you Ham, or the worthiness of the cause, but I have an inbox full of them.)

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2017, 01:08:14 pm »
Didn't take it personally, but I think you'll find they have a statutory duty to consult and publish the findings. While it is not above a public authority to go against the outcome of findings, it makes their lives a lot easier. So, while I can rarely be @rsed with the run of the mill, I try to add my voice to consultations like this.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2017, 01:19:06 pm »
I didn't realise it was statutory, but that makes it no less pointless. There's lots of actual evidence and things that can be measured as evidence for whether or not the change has led to an improvement. I remember Croydon consulted on a closed road in Norbury that I used to cycle down. Of course, the locals, appalled by having to drive a few hundred metres extra, well, you know, and it's back to be rat-run. Bromley used to do the same. Ask a population that 99% driving-orientated whether they want a cycling facility outside their house.

Anyway, I did complete it because Bank used to be on my route till one of the grav motors blew a gasket and slid over to the south side of the river. Utter horrid, confusing junction, that seemed designed to result in accidents and pollution.

« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2017, 12:42:08 am »
Completed. Thanks for posting this. I work close by, and this has made a great difference to my daily lunchtime perambulations, not least in the improved air quality.