Author Topic: 3500 miles and almost worn in...  (Read 3235 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

3500 miles and almost worn in...
« on: 10 November, 2008, 09:45:08 am »

A wee bit of shark finning, but hey, it still runs smoothly. Same chain too...

clarion

• Tyke
Re: 3500 miles and almost worn in...
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2008, 09:54:01 am »
Shark?  Shouldn't that be in the canal? ???
Getting there...

ChrisO

« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2008, 12:11:25 pm »
What is the life expectancy for chains and sprockets.

On geared bikes it tends to skip and so on but if I'm not having problems on a fixed does that mean it's OK. How do you tell ?

I've done probably 6000 miles on mine. Still seems OK though.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2008, 12:15:45 pm »
I changed the chain on my Rohloff-geared bike after 6000 miles. Curiously, a further 800 miles on and I haven't had to lubricate the new chain yet!

The tandem's chains have done almost 5000 miles. I thought about changing the rear chain last week whilst fettling, but having been a Land Rover owner I left well alone.

(OT aside: how many Land Rover owners does it take to change a light bulb? None. The old one will do for at least another 6 months.)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2008, 12:20:22 pm »

On geared bikes it tends to skip and so on but if I'm not having problems on a fixed does that mean it's OK. How do you tell ?

Depends on the size of both (big sprocket/ring combo lasts longer) its gauge (1/8vs 3/32 ditto), the ratio of the teeth (49/17 will last a lot longer than 50/20 because the teeth share the load more evenly) and how much you use it in grotty weather.  And on the quality of the components. 

I used to destroy a cheap Cyclo sprocket in the Yorkshire winter in a thousand miles, probably less.  An EAI sprocket on the Matt Chester lasts a whole season, so probably 6000 miles.  And then I change it before it gets too worn.  Used to the point of failure (jumping chain/broken teeth) it'd likely go 8-10,000 miles.  But I prefer to change it before the chainring wears.

« Reply #5 on: 10 November, 2008, 01:57:07 pm »
(OT aside: how many Land Rover owners does it take to change a light bulb? None. The old one will do for at least another 6 months.)

Still OT, sorry  :-[

My ex FiL had a lwb Series 2A Safari.   It had the best immobiliser you could imagine.   To start the engine you had to have both the lights and wipers on.  Once running you could turn them off again  :thumbsup:

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #6 on: 10 November, 2008, 02:13:41 pm »

About a year ago I changed the timing rings and chain on Mrs Chris' tandem. The old rings were very worn with a pronounced sharks teeth effect, but what really surprised me was when I put the old ring on top of the new ring, it could be seen that the old ring had worn in such a way that it was a smaller diameter than the new ring, probably by about 2 or 3 mm.

« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2008, 11:44:34 pm »

Probably based more on others' experience (mainly using gears) than my own, but...

Roughly half as long  in winter as in summer (excludes 2008 :sick:). I ride roughly equal distances in each season.

About half as long again if you don't use mudguards and ride in wet weather.

Nothing quantitative about the big-big vs small-small issue. I normally use 46/18 or 46/19.

3/32" cogs/rings will wear faster than 1/8". No numbers, though. Chain wear seems less dependent on width. Personal experience is purely 3/32".

And there are bigger variations associated with rider strength etc., weight/ & terrain. e.g. MV trashes kit that some of us unadventurous crumblies use without problem. That may be because he rides regularly in hilly terrain that I choose to save up for special occasions :thumbsup:.

I am firmly convinced that chain cleaning doesn't help, but lubrication is vital.

Don't think there's a single answer. Back in the days of C+, an engineer (can't remember who) passed on a r.o.t. for replacement when tooth wear was 1mm or so. That might or might not have been new chain as well as sprockets.

I try  ;) to replace chains when they have reached the 0.5% wear limit advised for derralllllllieeur sprocket re-use. That's primarily to protect the chainrings which are obselete & so difficult to replace. My experience is that worn chains wear/trash good alu. alloy chainrings very rapidly. Personal chain mileage is 3500-4000.

I used to replace Cyclo sprockets every chain. The only EIA cog I've replaced had done 14k miles. I think it was no more worn than OP's cog, which looks remarkably similar to my EAI/Goldtec steup. At the time I thought the last chain wore out more rapidly, but looking back at my records, I'm not so sure. Transmission was definintely noisier, which may have made me oil it more often O:-) .

« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2009, 08:58:12 pm »
What is the life expectancy for chains and sprockets

With derailleur systems a common reckoning says that more than a certain amount of chain stretch (1/8") means that the cassette needs replacing as well as the chain. Can one apply a similar reckoning to a fixed drivetrain? LBS thinks so. Given that fixed sprockets can be higher or lower quality, steel or alloy, 1/8" or 3/32" and do not have the ramps / differently-shaped teeth of cassette sprockets, I feel less sure. Is there a ready way to tell?

« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2009, 12:03:56 am »

It will run nice and smooth with the same chain. It might not do if you put a new chain on though. That sprocket is quite worn.
I'd probably run that set up to the ground now anduse a new transmission for a different gear size. Your chainring may be OK though, at the moment, but will soon wear down, if it isn't allready starting to.

« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2009, 10:19:14 am »
What make of sprocket is it?

Both of my sprockets (EAI and a Miche) have a similar mileage and look almost completely new (last time I checked anyway). They've seen their fair share of hills too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."